Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1231174 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.2 ϟ] - Ironhand graphics, 0.31.25
« Reply #5940 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:01 pm »

In the tes series it's not actual glass, it's volcanic crystals from red mountain
They also had the material they called 'ebony' that was not actually wood but instead a type of wood.

On other Morrowind hilarity, remember how you could eat glass (and scrap metal, and diamonds) for a small amount of alchemy experience?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #5941 on: April 02, 2011, 01:58:35 am »

Holy crap!

It's like Xmas all over again!

I LOVE YOU DEON and TOMITAPIO, AND WHOEVER ELSE CONTRIBUTED.

DF TIME! THANK YOU!
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: April 02, 2011, 03:13:05 am »

ahh the day's of the logic of the older tes games 'twas a good time

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: April 02, 2011, 03:15:01 am »

In the tes series it's not actual glass, it's volcanic crystals from red mountain
Still it would be brittle... If it was even close to volcanic glass (which is obsidian). So yeah, as I said it will be a special crystal type you could make from gems and glass :). A bit more fancy magic for beautiful armor won't hurt.

Vhorthex: You are welcome :). And yep, if not TomiTapio and his emails I would probably release it much later.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:06 am »

Yeah i do miss the days where i had mastercrafted bone armor because it was so hard to make steel but you could just fix that by adding propertys to different metal types. I for instance always make bronze into warhammers and if i can mastercraft it into helms/BP's/legs for a greek style dwarf.

You really do gotta think about progression though as i personally jump from nothing to steel because the other stuff is often just as hard/long to make and often not worth it at all. The studded leather sounds awesome but if i have the choice of everyone walking around in good quality steel armor why would i make it? This is why i was behind mass production, if i had the choice of making 10 complete suits of studded leather armor in a relatively fast way or steel i would prolly make 10 suits just for the hell of it because it wouldent take much longer and i could always use it for back up. If i had to spend years making 10 complete suits of sub par armor where i could wait 1 year and wait years to produce 10 complete sets of steel armor the choice is very simple.

I'd love for the light armors to be used like clothing so your dwarves would take up the light armor when their clothing rotted off. I want the filthy elf traders to see my entrance covered in the blood of every race with broken bolts and bones lying all over and then see the dwarfs hauling the goods wearing studded leather armor as though it was evening wear.

Another good fix for the just steel is to make composite armor that uses multiple metal/materials and is just outright fancy--1x *weapon metal* 2x *decorative metal/wood/leather/bone* 2x *cloth/silk* produces 2 ancient defender helmets, helmets that are sculpted to resemble the mountains and caverns each one being a work of art while protecting slightly better then a standard *weapon metal* helmet. All dwarves cant help but feel reassured at the sight of these helmets knowing they represent the first line of defense between them and the harsh world.

You'd still be most likely using steel but you wouldent need it in the massive quanititys as you usally need it and the other metals/materials which are often lying around that you never use will now have a purpose and help decorate your fort.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: April 02, 2011, 05:13:46 am »

You really do gotta think about progression though as i personally jump from nothing to steel because the other stuff is often just as hard/long to make and often not worth it at all. The studded leather sounds awesome but if i have the choice of everyone walking around in good quality steel armor why would i make it? This is why i was behind mass production, if i had the choice of making 10 complete suits of studded leather armor in a relatively fast way or steel i would prolly make 10 suits just for the hell of it because it wouldent take much longer and i could always use it for back up. If i had to spend years making 10 complete suits of sub par armor where i could wait 1 year and wait years to produce 10 complete sets of steel armor the choice is very simple.
I finally fixed the material sizes for armors, so you will need a few bars for a single armor piece, so studded leather armor will be actually much easier to make than copper armor for example.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5946 on: April 02, 2011, 05:13:56 am »

You really do gotta think about progression though as i personally jump from nothing to steel because the other stuff is often just as hard/long to make and often not worth it at all. The studded leather
How about embarking with 25 leathers and a leatherworker, get medium-quality leather armor in the first month. And since there are no bone boots, leather high boots are the best before get some warfare metal left over from weapons. Because losing an arm is no biggie, but losing the ability to stand is.

Last night a frost dragon killed six militia of current fort, was slain in 19 pages of combat report, and then had a crash after suffocation deaths from tainted item hauling.
Today, a red dragon came instead, and big tactical mistake letting it breathe fire into main food area and civilians...

A proposal for better altar of war: not 100 wooden crossbows into 50 steel.
15% chance of lead, 5% iron, 5% copper, 3% ruby, same 1% of the legendary superweapons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:30:23 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: April 02, 2011, 05:15:37 am »

As I said I revise altars totally. The altar of war (renamed to Shrine of War) will provide blood steel and decorate weapons with bones.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: April 02, 2011, 05:20:02 am »

So yeah, I am a bit out of ideas here... I mean I have more, but I am afraid they are silly. So, anyone got good suggestions for fictional metals which are not silly? :P

Right now I have

Gold -> sun gold.
Silver -> moon silver.
Aluminum -> mithril.
Bronze -> celestial bronze.
Steel -> omg a lot of steelz, enough :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: April 02, 2011, 05:27:54 am »

Zinc + silver -> ziril or shinver
nickel + gold -> ficklegold or basgold (Feingold was taken, a surname)

and fantasy-world billon plus (copper + silver + zinc) might be weapon grade.

Found "Potin, an ancient alloy of copper, zinc, lead and tin" was used for coins in India.

Oh and since silver and gold each have their own magicversion, zinc + nickel -> Mallon. Or just zinc into Mallon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:34:21 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: April 02, 2011, 05:33:25 am »

I know this sounds stupid, but what about red steel x4 + adamantine x2 = mithril? It's like adamantine but is a bit heavier than red steel and has a slightly sharper edge than adamantine, so it becomes a great material for sharp and blunt weapons alike.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: April 02, 2011, 05:36:21 am »

I know this sounds stupid, but what about red steel x4 + adamantine x2 = mithril? It's like adamantine but is a bit heavier than red steel and has a slightly sharper edge than adamantine, so it becomes a great material for sharp and blunt weapons alike.
Adamantine is supposed to be the best, don't want a super-adamantine called mithril. Maybe more like 8 silver and 1 ada = 6 mithril. Where mitril is a lighter version of red steel.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:40:54 am by TomiTapio »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: April 02, 2011, 05:36:52 am »

Maybe not fictional but cool: Titanium (this name!)

quotes from wikipedia

Titanium
"The two most useful properties of the metal form are corrosion resistance and the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal. In its unalloyed condition, titanium is as strong as some steels, but 45% lighter."

Hunter process
"The process begins by preparing a mixture of rutile (a mineral consisting of titanium dioxide, TiO2) with chlorine (Cl2) and coke. The coke serves as a source of carbon which reacts with the oxygen (O2) in the TiO2 when extreme heat is applied, producing titanium tetrachloride (TiCl4) and carbon dioxide (CO2).

The titanium tetrachloride is reduced with sodium (Na) to form pure metallic titanium (99.9%) by heating TiCl4 with Na in a steel bomb at 700–800 °C. This final step is the actual Hunter process. It successfully produces very high quality titanium, but it was replaced in all but the most demanding applications by the more economical Kroll process in the 1940s."

So it can be used in alchemy ("corrosion resistance") or as armour ("Due to their high tensile strength to density ratio,[7] high corrosion resistance,[3] fatigue resistance, high crack resistance,[52] and ability to withstand moderately high temperatures without creeping, titanium alloys are used in aircraft, armor plating, naval ships, spacecraft, and missiles.[3][4]").

In general I strongly dislike fictional metals - and real life ones are interesting enough.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: April 02, 2011, 05:45:19 am »

One problem with the Hunter process: Where do you get the chlorine gas?

Also, minor typo, that should be "700-800 C"... not 700800
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: April 02, 2011, 05:47:26 am »

Mithril is actually a tough aluminum. It's light and durable, so aluminum is the best base :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 642