Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1231555 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.19a4 ϟ]
« Reply #5835 on: March 29, 2011, 03:51:37 am »

Hey, of course we all remember you, I am glad you have time for it again :).

So, Tomi, did you test bones with [ROT]? I didn't have time to test it yet.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: March 29, 2011, 04:08:37 am »

The good news is that none of these new versions have added anything terribly hard to add in yourself.  They work fine alongside a manually installed Genesis.  However there are plenty of nifty cool features for creatures being added every couple versions, it seems.  Looks like every creature from the sponsorship pack might receive a signature part of some kind.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5837 on: March 29, 2011, 09:46:38 am »

Hey rainekage!
Hives, nestboxes, jugs (for pressed oil) and pots (rock and clay barrels) and the screw press are the buildable new things. And don't forget horn crafts. New animals like panda and penguin and capybara.
A new RAGE parameter so otherwise eek-helpme-flee bunnies and raccoons can turn on you when chased and randomly just milling about.
Oh and ores are much scarcer now! Two per embark biome. Scarcity parameter in worldgen settings. Many animals now need to eat grass or die. New zone: pen/pasture.

In Genesis mod new things... Percheron the large draft horse, my GOODWOOD superior tree material, if Deon chooses to include it this time. At least one new civ by Deon.
For my DF .23 raws based on Genesis 19a4, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Gen23_Ironhand_March26_interim_raws.zip
Deon's working on Genesis 25 and it should be out any day now.

So, Tomi, did you test bones with [ROT]? I didn't have time to test it yet.
No, not familiar with ROT but I had many forts where blood and ichor were [EDIBLE_VERMIN] and it was okay.

Rolled a new werld and looked at animal population counts.
76: Enshalgusil, "Budcopper", mountain halls
   Owner: The Hame of Enjoyment, dwarves
   Parent Civ: The Odorous Orb, dwarves
   65 dwarves
   124 cats
   10 cave tortoises
Worldgen catsplosion!
- One duskie town with    364 dusk elves   708 spaniels Damn :)
- "Glistenedspring", forest retreat, 10 water buffalos
- "Rainphrase", hamlet, 2 bulldogs 10 blue peafowls
- orc hamlet, 101 orcs 10 mules 200 mephits
- "Voiddevil", dark fortress, 1092 illithids.....
- "Growledlions", forest retreat,  Owner: The Scabrous Lark, centaurs, Parent Civ: The Absolute Bug, centaurs .... 1578 centaurs
- orc town    2990 orcs 75 keepers 10 guineafowls 5900 mephits
so it can be like 3 cats or mephits per citizen.

Deon: adventurer mode, elf maceman, staff probably should not be a one-handed weapon. It would have some other name as one-handed stick.
Deon: sent you email about trap components.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:08:35 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »

Deon / Tomi

Someone in another thread had a good idea but I am afraid it is not possible.  It is all based on: Can animals be used in reactions?

If possible you could Insert War Panda into Animal Armor Press with 2 blocks of Red Steel and a bucket of Magma, Pull the lever, and out comes an Uber (somewhat scorched) Armored War Panda of Doom.  Sounds Fun.  Wonder if you could make it so that there is a chance you get a Red Steel Panda Statue instead. 

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: March 29, 2011, 12:28:29 pm »

Sadly, no. You can, however get vermin out of reactions. And use animals as input, IIRC.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »

Hello all. I'm proud of myself to have achieved two posts here at bay12forums, I hope you all welcome me as a fellow Genesis Player.

Now, to ask and tell Deon what I came here for.

Deon, I was wondering... Is there a possibility to add in a new caste? I don't know if it's possible or anything but; What about a caste that is able to take a ridicolous ammount of pain and dammage? (Though it can die and stuff by let's say decapitation... Has that ever happened?). Of course it would have to be weaker in normal stats to square of it's 'Determination'.
I guess I could also give them a name... "Undead Caste" was what I first had in mind but I think that is from DA, so I thought "Valhalla Caste" as they'd probabbly be able to fight gloriously, atleast trying, to death.  :D
Kind-of thought it was a Duo fitting with the Steelies. As I kinda thought the Mushies and Gloomies fit together.

And now what I came to tell... That I love all the stuff you've added in here. You spiced up the gameplay for DF to me and made me connect to my dwarves! :D
Now... the problem is. Should I really feel sad and basically be in the mood for a Fortress-Execution when my favourite named Dorf dies, or is it normal? /newfag

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5841 on: March 29, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »

Hello all. I'm proud of myself to have achieved two posts here at bay12forums, I hope you all welcome me as a fellow Genesis Player.
Now... the problem is. Should I really feel sad and basically be in the mood for a Fortress-Execution when my favourite named Dorf dies, or is it normal? /newfag
Cheers Exeros! Glad you enjoy all the spice. No wandering goblin heroes yet coming to knock on bust down your door.

A golem or undead type caste? Hmm. I don't see why not. Undead is pretty far from Genesis ideas I think. Maybe they've been doped on dorf-roids since childhood, kinda like Halo Spartans.
Male only so they don't make babies. They'd have to be slow either way. We used to have steel dwarves be strong, durable AND high-speed.

I suggest you don't let your fave beardpuller do any hauling, especially herbalism & wood hauling from the caverns. And you can have hir in hir own squad, for armor-wearing.

Edit: Daff, insane castes like 20x faster but super flimsy super weak so can't really haul? Or one that constantly bleeds everywhere, and one that sneezes/area-dusts a disease?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:19:20 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:46 pm »

And now what I came to tell... That I love all the stuff you've added in here. You spiced up the gameplay for DF to me and made me connect to my dwarves! :D

You could do what Tomi suggested or you can come to the realisation that all dwarves are expendable and only waiting for their own special flavour of gruesome death.  :-\

I'm not quite sure about new castes...
I'd rather there wasn't too many, even as it is there's quite a few and I'm not sure if even all of them are contributing much to the game.
I mean sure it's nice to have some fast learning dudes but even if certain castes have a bonus to learning certain skills it's just a bit shallow. I loved the obsidian caste with their world-burning fireballs and general insanity and would like to see the castes made more different in ways besides just skill learning rates.

EDIT: I do understand that DF itself does limit what can be done quite a bit but I'd love something a bit more imaginative and possibly insane than just "caste X is good at skill Y" etc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:57:41 pm by Daff »
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:46 pm »

I agree with daff for the most part.  If the caste doesn't bring something new and unique I don't really see a reason for it.  The caste we have now are pretty good.  Honestly I really do not care if I get Ice or Moss and rather not get Shroom.  Stone are just your average dwarf though they might be a little better so meh.  The thing that gets me is that I have never seen the Gloomer or Aspid use there abilities so I wonder if they are working.  Of course they don't set my entire map on fire either so maybe they are just less obvious. 

I do not like the idea of a zombie caste.  Zombies just seem like they should be the enemy.  A construct caste might be neat but what would they do other than be tough and slow?

Not sure if it is possible but I think a caste that can go invisible would be awesome.  If the enemies can do it why can't we?  Might be hard to keep track of them though, or maybe not if they are kept in a squad.

Oh, and why cant Ice Dwarves use Ice breath or something similar?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: March 29, 2011, 05:34:06 pm »

Not sure where best to ask this, but I know Deon is savvy with the graphics stuff.

Engravings are showing up weird in my fort.  I was using one of your old packages.  I think it was 31.18c.  I then upgraded to the newer versions by replacing the .exe and index files, per tami topio's advice.  Since then, I've begun my first engravings in my fort and they show up as dead trees and dwarves, making the room look extremely chaotic.  I tried replacing the tileset with a couple new ones, and they all have the same problem.  I've tried copying my save file over into ironhand's new full package, and it still does this.  I've tried starting a new fort from scratch with the new ironhand, and engravings work properly there.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with upgrading, since I never did any engravings before the upgrade.  Any ideas how to fix this?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: March 29, 2011, 06:04:03 pm »

Data/init/d_init.txt, set [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:YES]. It should solve it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: March 29, 2011, 06:14:47 pm »

Hey guys.  Before embark is there a way to switch from the new shallow metals / deep metals / deep soil BS to the old stile where it actually gave us some useful info?  What would be even more handy is if it listed each type of mineral that is present.  For instance Fluxes, Iron Ores, Coals, etc.

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: March 29, 2011, 06:16:44 pm »

Hey guys.  Before embark is there a way to switch from the new shallow metals / deep metals / deep soil BS to the old stile where it actually gave us some useful info?  What would be even more handy is if it listed each type of mineral that is present.  For instance Fluxes, Iron Ores, Coals, etc.

No

No there's not

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: March 29, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »

Data/init/d_init.txt, set [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:YES]. It should solve it.

That was the original setting.  I tried changing it to 'no' and nothing changed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: March 29, 2011, 06:49:29 pm »

That's probably because those engravings were already there. If you make any new ones, they should be obscured.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 642