Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230339 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4815 on: February 02, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

a kobold managed to torn a couple arteries of my doorkeeping war dragon raptor and eventually let it exsanguinate, the kobold ran away with only bruises.
also a mastiff and a giant bat managed to kill a left behind werewolf, both almost unharmed.
many more unexpected events had happened since i started playing genesis....

War Rhino's are awesome. I started switching to them in one fort.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:58 am »

Was that 'bug' where war training an animal made it more likely to run away fixed? Seems like some war mastiffs I trained didn't perform as well as their untrained counterparts did.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4817 on: February 02, 2011, 03:21:25 am »

For early defense I prefer cage traps, maybe 6-12 of them, and add 8-spear weapon traps as the forgemaster makes the spears. Has anyone daggers-only weapon traps to use less metal?
I too have trouble remembering what sphalerite and cassiterite contain. And what mineral gave lead.

Hey, how about an install option "iron is veins only and not giant clusters".
Other thing I'd like is a hostile race that ONLY uses bows and arrows. That is, one of the elf races wants to exterminate the dwarves for some reason. Install option "Sylvans are at war with you." And some of their castes would be trap_avoid bastards.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: February 02, 2011, 05:41:59 am »

Hmm, elven vendetta sounds fun :). I will incorporate it, thanks.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DarkCephis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:39 am »

I was playing adventure mode and my human thrower was running from a spear using elven bandit leader. I was semi wounded and fleeing, but wounded to much to get away, when the elf suddenly collapsed dead.  The text said the elf died of old age.  I checked it out and the elf was 654 years old. It was one of the desert slaver elves that Deon made I forget their name right now.  I tried to take a screen but I messed it up and don't have any proof.  Has anyone ever had something similar happen? 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: February 02, 2011, 09:29:18 am »

Yes, I had diplomats dying of old age just as they arrived :D.

I imagine it as something like a heart attack :). It's like "GET OVER HERE! Oh god my heart..." *Dies*

I will have a birthday soon so I want to make a birthday release before that.

I plan to incorporate some stuff you don't get now into alchemy (like sun gold).

I think somethilng like: steel + gold = sun gold, steel + silver = mithril, copper to gold... I have some other reactions in my head, but not too many. So if you want to brainstorm alchemy, it would be nice.

I think alchemical reactions should consume something, like gems. Any ideas?

P.S. Hehehe: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34430.msg1874075#msg1874075
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: February 02, 2011, 10:03:05 am »

I sort of think of alchemy using some sort of liquid as well, bubbling vials and things like that.  There could be some process to vial plant extract that could be used as part of the reaction?  Sand is easy to come by even if you don't have it on your map and you wouldn't need dozens of vials of stuff.  Not sure if that would make it any more interesting though.

I've never really found myself short of anything past the first year or so though, really the only thing that holds me back is lack of skilled dwarves - even though I find adamantine fairly quickly I don't want to waste it with anything less than legendary armoursmith.  Then your military is unstoppable and it's time to start over. :P

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:45 am »

alchemy, voila!

I think somethilng like: steel + gold = sun gold, steel + silver = mithril, copper to gold...
IMHO mithril, at least 'traditionally', is really damn hard to obtain, so... extraction of three silver bars/ores, later trasfer to another workshop to combine with one steel bar to create one bar of mithril.
about gems...maybe some reactions requiring gems? but then there are too many types of gems. or you could make test tubes, jars, pipes etc, from gems exclusively for alchemy purpose, as bags for dye, flour.
or introducing one or two brand new rare plants, which could be extracted as catalyst or fuel in many if not all alchemy reactions. they should be so rare that in 4x4 embark location, each year only two or three can by found(scarcer than moon berries i reckon). caravan may reraly bring them. and processing those plants does not yield seeds. thusly the number of alchemy jobs done are limited, preventing exploitation, though ppl will get many red steel and adamantine eventually.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: February 02, 2011, 11:19:19 am »

If the alchemy reactions requiring gems were to instead require large gems, would that make it hard enough to obtain?  I know you can get large gems fairly easily through trading, but that would get pretty expensive.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: February 02, 2011, 11:37:52 am »

If the alchemy reactions requiring gems were to instead require large gems, would that make it hard enough to obtain?  I know you can get large gems fairly easily through trading, but that would get pretty expensive.

It's not hard 'expensive' so much as hard 'many years down the road'. They usually only bring 1-3 larges and I can buy them out easily with prepared food in year 1.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: February 02, 2011, 12:14:24 pm »

Yes, but if you start requesting nothing but larges, it would get pretty expensive.  Mind you, once you get magma and find some gold, you can buy pretty much anything with gold mugs, but hopefully some of these economic issues will get ironed out with the coming caravan updates.

In the meantime, would anyone else like to see less of certain ores in Deon's birthday release of genesis?  I personally think gold and iron are way to easy to get.  Less so silver, but on certain embarks I am swimming in it. 

Would it be possible to have clusters of native gold found in veins of gold laced rock of some kind?  The native gold would smelt like it does now, but the gold laced rock could require 5 or more rocks to produce a bar.  Similar changes could be made to other too common precious ores. 

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 02, 2011, 01:13:53 pm »

Large gems and BLOOD! theres currently no use for the barrels of stuff so now you'd be forced to maintain trade if you want to make the special metals.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: February 02, 2011, 01:19:53 pm »

What are the best metals for shields and hammers?

I am playing some nord Adventuring and i found a Cobalt Kite shield and i am wondering if it is more effective than a copper shield?

I looked at the wiki but i don't know what i need to look for in shield and weapons.

I know as much that a better Edge means you can stab and slash people better but i heard that bashing uses different properties than slashing.

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 02, 2011, 01:23:18 pm »

Would it be possible to have clusters of native gold found in veins of gold laced rock of some kind?  The native gold would smelt like it does now, but the gold laced rock could require 5 or more rocks to produce a bar.  Similar changes could be made to other too common precious ores.

I like this idea, i got so much Iron and Gold it's to easy to get hundreds of steel bars and a whole fortress full of Gold!

And I really would like to have Mithril ingame!

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 02, 2011, 02:56:50 pm »

Hey Deon (or anybody else who knows)

My embark profile that works fine in vanillia doesn't work with your mod. In fact I barely have enough for items when I use it. It doesn't leave any points for skills.

Is this by design? If so, does anyone have a decent embark profile for Genesis I can steal?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:43:00 pm by fatherjimbo »
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 642