Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229922 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4680 on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:06 am »

I make so many typos in my posts. Here, hav a typo.

Apparantly, Illithids are powerful, evil, benign tyrants who, if pissed off, will be satisfied with nothing short complete genocide.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that Genesis is inspired by D&D Forgotten Realms.  As such, this is pretty much spot on.  Illithids have always been max on the scale of evil in D&D.  They view every other living creature as livestock for them to either suck the brains out of or mindrape into soulless thralls.

D&D Forgotten Realms? Really? I would have never guessed, given my limited experience with the setting and the prevalence of flavorful variations of dwarves and such. Perhaps it's somewhere in between FR and the distilled essence of Deon's own original creations.

Deon, what's your word on this?

I like being able to ask because you're actually a regular forum user
The world setting is quite far from D&D, it's more like a mix of stuff I like. Orcs are closer to morrowind orcs, dwarven castes are unique (I think, at least if they are from somewhere then it escapes my mind) but there are many creatures which I made based on my old "Faerun" mod, so you get illithids, beholders, mind flayers, umber hulks etc.

So basically it's just a clusterfuck of the stuff I like, I wouldn't call it a "distilled essense" ;D. Of course I tried to make it all fit together and good and balanced gameplay-wise, so it would be fun to have around.

Deon werewolves in the werewolf civ seem really really really overpowered well not so much overpowered as they don't freaking die....easily.

In adventure mode I was hacking at 3 werewolf wrestlers hitting them and making them bleed they lost their feet and hands and it took like half an hour in real life for them to finally bleed out also under a constant stream of hits from a Professional Axedwarf.

they all bled out I didn't strike any killing blows just they bled to death. Even though I was hitting them for like an in game day. One of them fell unconscious once and I hacked him in the head over and over and over and over and over till he got back up. I'm unsure if they are supposed to be like this or if its the game or what but I thought id let you know.
Yes, they are supposed to be like that. Let me guess, the axe had no quality?

Werewolves are mostly designed to be competitive for the fortress mode. Masterwork weapons can be 10 times better than common ones, and if they are STEEL weapons, well, they decapitate werewolves nicely.

Adventurers have a hard time because it's not easy to find a good weapon of a high quality.

Also there're traps and ranged weapons, so I have no problems dealing with them in fort mode.

If you want them to be easier, just replace TOUGHSTANDARD_MATERIALS with STANDARD_MATERIALS in the werewolf entity.
It would be too easy though, because they have no weapons or armor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: January 22, 2011, 01:21:22 pm »

Personally I think the TOUGHSTANDARD_MATERIALS stuff is awesome. Even when they resist death in adventure mode and I am reduced to strangling as the only effective means of killing them. Actually, especially then. It has this sort of taking desperate actions to survive awesomeness to it.

I'm collecting a zoo currently, and am trying to figure out which animals have tough skin and teeth so I can train them as my war beasts. The gorillas didn't cut it. Rhinos look promising. (I told myself I wouldn't peek at the raws. That way I have an excuse for "rigorous testing")
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: January 22, 2011, 02:44:15 pm »

Hey i wanted to get back into DF but my time is even more limited then usual--is there any auto designators that work with genesis? The hardest part for me is making a nice looking fortress only to have it destroyed 20 minutes later so if i could have the dig orders saved then i could easily lose a fortress without screaming over 30 minutes of careful design lost.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: January 22, 2011, 03:15:35 pm »

to prevent that...I throw up a crappy looking and hastily made defense before I do anything....also i usually start big.....so I have to...right now I am playing the wizard tower mod and I started by channeling  a 100+ by 100+ square then built a big wall around....haven't got any further than that and I played for at least an hour or two (takes a long time for the wizards to gain mining levels so its pretty slow)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: January 22, 2011, 03:22:50 pm »

The world setting is quite far from D&D, it's more like a mix of stuff I like. Orcs are closer to morrowind orcs, dwarven castes are unique (I think, at least if they are from somewhere then it escapes my mind) but there are many creatures which I made based on my old "Faerun" mod, so you get illithids, beholders, mind flayers, umber hulks etc.

I just remember a post, somewhere in this thread, where someone asked and you somewhat affirmed that the dwarven casts were based on the different types of dwarves in forgotten realms.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: January 22, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »

to prevent that...I throw up a crappy looking and hastily made defense before I do anything....also i usually start big.....so I have to...right now I am playing the wizard tower mod and I started by channeling  a 100+ by 100+ square then built a big wall around....haven't got any further than that and I played for at least an hour or two (takes a long time for the wizards to gain mining levels so its pretty slow)

Haha yeah channels are worthless against flying creatures and what usually destroys my fort is a massive ambush force slaughtering more then half my army. Surviving for years usually isent a problem for me but i usually invest so much time into a single fortress that when i eventually do make that mistake i lose interest in DF. I've gotten to the point were surviving isent the goal its creating a vast complex underground fortress with a standing army with no traps beyond cage traps.

For instance my dining hall must be atleast 3z levels tall and end in a cavern with windows and the time it takes to create my standard fortress is so goddamn long.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »

I also play without or with minimal immigrants...makes it harder...but I figure rather then end game because of a bunch of FPS issues (ive never actually had that problem cause I have never go more than a hundred or so dwarfs) I would rather build my fort from scratch (dwarfs included).

Because my forts are usually so small I try and make my army consist of archers with animals as meat shields...Archers with just wooden arrows usually do really well even against flying things.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: January 22, 2011, 11:40:44 pm »

I really just want a program that allows me to create designs out of game then allows me to paste them into the game so i dont need to spend hours manually designating awesome looking hallways/bedrooms/central chasms.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: January 23, 2011, 12:07:01 am »

there are utilities that help do that...gotta run to the store then i can link you to some if no one else does before I get back.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: January 23, 2011, 01:41:02 am »

I, too, want that link. I have many foolproof intake designations and stuff that I'd really love saved.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: January 23, 2011, 01:49:35 am »

ok so what I could dig up was

Quickfort
http://sun2design.com/quickfort/

Quickfort 2.00pre3
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35931.msg1435348#msg1435348

And a utility to make using Quickfort more streamlined

ChromaFort
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55025.0

There is another one but I will have to search for it and see if I can find it...forgot the name

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: January 23, 2011, 03:47:39 am »

Yes, any stuff which works with 0.31.18 works with genesis.

I just remember a post, somewhere in this thread, where someone asked and you somewhat affirmed that the dwarven casts were based on the different types of dwarves in forgotten realms.
The original idea was based on shield/iron dwarves and a mod which made a chance for a hero to be born (current steel dwarves, they were the "hero" caste and the only one besides the "common" dwarves). It quickly evolved into the current idea.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: January 23, 2011, 04:33:25 am »

Holy shit check this out http://www.irritablegourmet.com/dwarf/index.htm helps so much

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:23 am »

Oh yeah forgot about that one completely! good link pretty much quickfort for your browser...much better and easier to work with in my opinion

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: January 23, 2011, 05:11:47 am »

How do i save the file now? do i open excel and create a .cvs file(can i?) and paste it in?
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 642