Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229821 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4650 on: January 20, 2011, 01:47:55 am »

I would say wait til you get a good grip and idea of the basics of DF first (although its not necessary). its essentially regular DF with more depth and added things to only complicate it more...something you should steer clear of til you know what you are doing IMHO.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #4651 on: January 20, 2011, 04:44:03 am »

Hey guys. Is this mod playable for newcomers in Fortress Mode? Im playing since 2 weeks now and wonder if this mod makes the Game a lot harder or not with the new seemingly agressive races like Werewolves.
Sure!
And you will have a great deal of FUN, believe me  ;)

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: January 20, 2011, 08:02:59 am »

It doesn't make the game harder, just different.  A lot more depth, so harder to learn.  A lot more potential enemies, so it could be harder to survive if you embark near hostile civs.  But there are a lot more trading partners coming at alot more times of the year, which helps with the difficulty at least the first few years ingame.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:19 am »

Well a bit more challenge wont hurt. In the classic mode i started to WAIT for an actual attack to come, thats how bored i was. Started a Fort near Werewolves now, i want to look how good i understood the basics and if im able to hold of a early attack. Also a bit of challenge will probably spice my experience a bit up.

One question tough, is it normal that the ice in a Temprate Area doesnt melt in summer? I prefer underground farms, because they are easier to defend, also in my nigh infinite wisdom i seem to forgot picking above ground seeds in embark screen. Im Doomed to face the Werewolves with almost Starved Dwarfs i guess?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: January 20, 2011, 11:17:34 am »

Well a bit more challenge wont hurt. In the classic mode i started to WAIT for an actual attack to come, thats how bored i was. Started a Fort near Werewolves now, i want to look how good i understood the basics and if im able to hold of a early attack. Also a bit of challenge will probably spice my experience a bit up.

That's exactly what I thought, the unmodded game was a bit too easy. I installed this mod a few days after i first played Dwarf Fortress and it wasn't that hard.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:59 pm »

One question tough, is it normal that the ice in a Temprate Area doesnt melt in summer? I prefer underground farms, because they are easier to defend, also in my nigh infinite wisdom i seem to forgot picking above ground seeds in embark screen. Im Doomed to face the Werewolves with almost Starved Dwarfs i guess?
Is tempature off?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »

Well if it is, i dont know 0o Never saw a option to set it off or on.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4657 on: January 20, 2011, 01:27:31 pm »

It's in init/d_init.txt  as [TEMPERATURE:YES]

I recommend autosave, as DF may crash.
[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES] --does litter the disk with lots of tiny files

and if too many kids in the fort, [BABY_CHILD_CAP:3:8] (3 kids max but let kids be 8% of population before reach 3 kids.)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: January 20, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »

Unless you're reclaiming a lost fort then cavern floors are always covered in mud, you could build farms on that, or dig out a room and flood that using an underground lake.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: January 20, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »

Just choose a group of "less desirable" dwarves and make them do nothing but plant gathering. You could even set up a system where the gatherers are locked outside or forbidden to come inside and dump some of their gathered plants into a pit accessable from the inside.  Then if the werewolves come, at least your elite dwarves are in a position to defend the fort.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: January 21, 2011, 03:36:20 am »

I never embark with seeds. I just get them from processing plants. For booze. You get a lot from a small area. It only really takes 1 dwarf with no starting Herbalist to level up and feed the starting 7.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: January 21, 2011, 05:08:22 am »

Okay, I should've done it earlier. I am reuploading 3.18e with init tweaks to turn the temperature back on. Too many confusion comes from that :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: January 21, 2011, 09:44:41 am »

I never embark with seeds. I just get them from processing plants. For booze. You get a lot from a small area. It only really takes 1 dwarf with no starting Herbalist to level up and feed the starting 7.

So i only get seeds from Plant gathering if i Process the Plants in a Farmers Workshop?

And the Cave idea, thats good and fine, only problem is that you can search Hours without finding a Cave underground. The only real option is to use reveal. I mean, just as an example, imagine a Cave being on level 108, i start on Level 140. If i dont know that theres a Cave i have to dig around in all 32 levels below my Fort until i finally find that cave. its a bit hardcore isnt it?

Well, my Dwarfs will die of thirst soon if im not getting the Farms to work, in the future i will only embark in warm Sites, it pisses me off allways landing in a Cold zone if i choose a Temprate Area.  Damn ice!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: January 21, 2011, 10:22:22 am »

So i only get seeds from Plant gathering if i Process the Plants in a Farmers Workshop?

Or mill them. Or turn them into booze at the still. It's (usually) only cooking them that wont get you seeds.

And the Cave idea, thats good and fine, only problem is that you can search Hours without finding a Cave underground. The only real option is to use reveal. I mean, just as an example, imagine a Cave being on level 108, i start on Level 140. If i dont know that theres a Cave i have to dig around in all 32 levels below my Fort until i finally find that cave. its a bit hardcore isnt it?

I have never* very rarely missed all 3 cave layers. Sometimes they're pretty deep, but if you dig one staircase straight down it's not very often you wont find a cavern before you hit magma.

*the exact center of a 2x2 or 4x4 world tile map will be inbetween the corners of the world tiles, which is more likely to have the large pillars and whatnot that cause you to miss a cavern. Very rarely you miss all 3.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: January 21, 2011, 01:50:36 pm »

there any chance farming output will be nerfed? this mod adds a boatload of great crops...but with the overproduction rates of crops they can hardly be used in full....would just need to lower cluster size (default 5 unless this mod changes that) to like 3 (so legendary farmers still matter) and increase the grow duration....
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 642