Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229593 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4575 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:41 am »

Kobolds are so cute and cuddly. What have you done?!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06:49 pm »

Actually they are still rodents. And they are not cute, read some of ThreeToe stories :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: January 13, 2011, 03:31:54 pm »

Mighty Deon:
    Can i mining ore in Adventure mode in this MOD?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: January 13, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »

i never got it straight and now i see kobolds are lizards? i thought they were WoW style rat-bolds, ah well
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: January 13, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »

i never got it straight and now i see kobolds are lizards? i thought they were WoW style rat-bolds, ah well
Who said they are lizards? They are furry rodents with big ears, glowing eyes and sharp teeth who hurl bugs and poisonous insents at adventurers.

Also their eyes are originally yellow, so I should fix it.

Mighty Deon:
    Can i mining ore in Adventure mode in this MOD?
I think about adding creatures which drop ore. Is it worth of a search for adventure mode?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »

And can i creat a metal weapon or get my previous one enchanted with those dropping-ore/jewels ?

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: January 13, 2011, 10:26:16 pm »

Currently all plant materials are the same. I thought about making different kinds of wood/cloth, but didn't come so far. Just let me tell you, that all of them are inferior against more or less serious weapons :). Yes, a multiple layers of cloth better protect vs. hits, but I am not sure about cold... I think a single layer is usually enough.

Before DF2010 each time you leveled up a skill you got a chance to level up one of your attribute.

After the appearance of many new attributes there is a connection between skill levels and attributes leveling.

It's on the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attribute
Look at the "Skills and associated attributes" section.

I cant find clear information on it. Nothing on the wiki about adventure mode attributes/skills increase specifically.
Huh, the first place I checked was the "attribute" page, I guess you didn't try to search it long enough :).

What are the ways to increase Recuperation attribute?
It's on the wiki: "Nothing trains Disease Resistance, Recuperation, or Musicality". So you have to start with them high if you want them high.

I have read that thing about recuperation/disease resistance, but to me, most of the wiki applies to dwarf mode, and thats why I disregard it for adventure mode. It feels like I have to discover everything from 0 and people keep insisting on vomiting the wiki every time I ask something. Thats how I generally feel "dude, Ive read the wiki already, it doesnt answer my questions and thats why Im asking here, so please, do not ignore the detailed question and copy paste wiki... to me this behavior is insulting". We are still building knowledge, and people post the wiki as the end all source, ignoring the whole point, wich is to discuss, share, test, verify... Im not trying to offend people who paste wiki links, but it feels like a never ending cycle of stagnation, where people dont bother reading/thinking what the op wants to know, they just generically think they read something about it somewhere, go to the search area on wiki, type something, get the link and paste on the repply and entitled it as the pinacle of knowledge.  Im just opening up, because this week it was like the 5th time someone comes up with the "wiki card". Wiki for adventure mode is non existant, that attribute page does not apply to adventure mode... at some point I remember reading ambusher affects Focus... http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Ambusher , then I leveled up Ambusher to legendary and Focus remained at very low... or Herbalist increasing memory... clothier giving creativity, most of the skills that the wiki say it increase willpower and spatial sense actually increase physical attributes as well...most of this info on the wiki holds no truth on adventure mode.

I kind of memorized that attribute page two days ago. But you know, it doesnt tell you how to specifically train for each thing. Its not intuitive either.

Im currently trying each different activity for extended periods of time, while analysing its effects on the attributes/skills.

I have a fair idea of what skills affect certain attributes such as strenght, agility, endurance

I wonder if you can see their attributes/skills relation in some game file.

Im selectivelly testing everything. The attributes progression on adventure mode doesnt happen the same way as in fortress mode.

In adventure mode what happens is that everytime a skill gets a rank, it gives a fixed increase to pre-determined attributes. That was verified through dinamic speed changes in short term and attribute changes related to speed in long term. There is no reason to think that its different for other attributes.

An example, throwing an item increases 2 skills, and 6 atributes. The ammount of increase seems to be the same for all attributes, they all increase attributes at the same rate, although if one of these six attributes is at a higher level, then its increase will take more repetitions, similarly to what happens to skills, even though you can say for sure unless you have been keeping track of its progress.

I notice that many skills dont affect attributes at all. So cross training is worthless in their case. The skills that seem to be worthless are some of the ones related to the crafting mod. Some craftings do affect attributes, other dont.

I started that character at very low in all stats, except recuperation and disease resistance. So if you check the skills I tested to legendary, you will notice that most of them ended up favoring strenght (leveled up 5 times), followed by agility, toughness, willpower, spatial sense, kinesthetic sense (leveled up 4 times), and then endurance (leveled up two times).

As it stands now... with the current skills improved: recuperation/disease resistance (two phisical skills), analytical ability, focus, creativity, intuition, patience, memory, liguistic ability, musicality, empathy, social interaction REMAINED UNTOUCHED. This means that they were not used, regardless of many skills reaching the legendary level.

Im very hopefull that swimming will provide a garanteed way to improve endurance, and maybe toughness and other physical attributes.

Also, it seems that even after reaching legendary at /7100 in two skills, their respective governed attributes kept increasing. This means that if I keep increasing those skills, to legendary levels of /10000, /20000 or over, it will keep leading to increases in those attributes.

I just want to understand the game mechanics.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:51:57 pm by Interesting »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:48 pm »

That attribute page DOES apply to adventure mode. The attribute growth systems is the same for both modes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4583 on: January 14, 2011, 07:12:15 am »

At year 1050, you run the risk of having multiple races extincted, thats why I prefer to start in worlds with just 2-25 years, unless thats what you want.
I think 1050 is not a limit, you can set it higher too. But longer history means bigger save files too.
I usually make 150-220 year old worlds.

There are two schools on Kobolds: the part-dog and part-reptilian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobolds_in_gaming#Canine_aspects
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: January 14, 2011, 09:06:39 am »

Depending on the size of the world I use different length histories.
I also usually crank up the # of civilizations and tweak the worldgen to give less ocean areas when using genesis.  Otherwise I find that someone will have gotten killed off during worldgen.  Usually 75 civs for medium.  Maybe 100 for large.

More civilizations + more land area + more time = A greater likelyhood that a given site will have access to all other civilizations and possibly even be at war with 1 or 2 of them.

I usually do 500 year medium worlds but sometimes do 100-200 year large worlds, 1000 year small worlds, or even 2000-5000 year smaller or pocket worlds.  I used to do the 2 year history worlds when the megabeasts would all die off during world generation, but since they don't really do that anymore I prefer a longer history so my engravings are more colorful.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: January 14, 2011, 11:54:48 am »

At year 1050, you run the risk of having multiple races extincted, thats why I prefer to start in worlds with just 2-25 years, unless thats what you want.
I think 1050 is not a limit, you can set it higher too. But longer history means bigger save files too.
I usually make 150-220 year old worlds.

There are two schools on Kobolds: the part-dog and part-reptilian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobolds_in_gaming#Canine_aspects
And I think that DF kobolds are closer to the "original" meaning (that is, a vile humanoid who taunts and plays tricks with miners).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: January 14, 2011, 01:54:51 pm »

Darn it, that's the third time today I lost a fort to a pack of werewolves.

Werewolves: 9 Me: 1/2

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: January 14, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »

using world viewer, it turns out that werewolf civs alway  extinct first, or simply reduced to a couple hundreds of them after merely few hundred years (preexist world gen called "MEDIUM REGION")
so i made them slightly stronger with better initial skills, to guarantee at least one werewolf civ would survive
and thusly they are greater woe in fort mod
well, civilisations rise and fall is rather common, but is there a workaround so the infamous werewolf dont vanish almost every time the game goes over a thousand year?

by the way, i cant find the mentioned readme file on the top post in any of the three prepackages, that does not belong to the original unmodded version. can someone enlighten me please? i', so confused with all those new buildings.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: January 14, 2011, 04:19:13 pm »

using world viewer, it turns out that werewolf civs alway  extinct first, or simply reduced to a couple hundreds of them after merely few hundred years (preexist world gen called "MEDIUM REGION")
so i made them slightly stronger with better initial skills, to guarantee at least one werewolf civ would survive
and thusly they are greater woe in fort mod
well, civilisations rise and fall is rather common, but is there a workaround so the infamous werewolf dont vanish almost every time the game goes over a thousand year?

Clearly vampires are overpowered.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: January 14, 2011, 04:30:01 pm »

Actually it was a "feature" that a natural race dominates the world if you generate it for a few decades, and much later is outrun by "civilized" races. I tweaked it for a few versions, so I am glad it works as intended. I plan to add a few other beast races later, I didn't decide the design yet.

by the way, i cant find the mentioned readme file on the top post in any of the three prepackages
It was removed because it was out of date, check the wiki for the recent info.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 642