Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229522 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4545 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:18 pm »

ya obsidian dwarf archers+captured wildlife to be released for the purpose of starting a map wide fire, works extremely well against sieges.
Nom nom nom

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4546 on: January 09, 2011, 08:18:21 pm »

ya obsidian dwarf archers+captured wildlife to be released for the purpose of starting a map wide fire, works extremely well against sieges.
I still would like a "bonfire" workshop that is built with coal and wood, and it's reaction would create something really hot (magma? magic heatball from adventurer mode?) that burns away the workshop.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4547 on: January 09, 2011, 10:49:41 pm »

Whoever was saying they were getting Blue Screens... that is definitely your computer. It is impossible for a user-mode program like DF to cause blue screens in Windows 2k or later. (So unless you're on Win98...)

I can't get the Altar of War to work. I put in the Sacrifice Weapon task, I have tons of the things lying around, but it has sat there for over a year with no takers. Pretty sure I have someone of every skill... I even enabled alchemy on some people to see if that was it.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:22 pm »

Whoever was saying they were getting Blue Screens... that is definitely your computer. It is impossible for a user-mode program like DF to cause blue screens in Windows 2k or later. (So unless you're on Win98...)

I can't get the Altar of War to work. I put in the Sacrifice Weapon task, I have tons of the things lying around, but it has sat there for over a year with no takers. Pretty sure I have someone of every skill... I even enabled alchemy on some people to see if that was it.

Try activating alchemy on everybody. It uses alchemy.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: January 10, 2011, 02:34:56 am »

I still would like a "bonfire" workshop that is built with coal and wood, and it's reaction would create something really hot (magma? magic heatball from adventurer mode?) that burns away the workshop.

I know Warlord made a bonfire mod once, it created a high-temperature piece of wood like the fire arrow/bolt and could be used to boil water. Not sure if it could be used to ignite areas outside, since the fire may be local to the workshop.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: January 10, 2011, 07:41:36 am »

Ok wath the heck , pigeons keep intrerupting my dwarfs , this is getting annoing , im going to hunt them
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:45:32 am by Qinetix »
Desu

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:53 am »

Wait, did I just hear RuneScape music ? nice (the music, not RuneScape :P) reminds me of my cake making days :S
You confused me here... The menu music is from Ultima Online (Stones, a bit edited + other soundtracks from Ultima follow it) and the game music is from Warcraft 2.

I'm pretty sure I heard some of the in-game music before in RuneScape, I'm gonna try to login in my old account and find the music and see if it the same now.

EDIT: I just logged in, and I noticed 2 things:
1) Somehow my character is a girl -.- what the hell was I thinking back thenthan when I played RS
2) There are over 700 songs and there is no way I'm gonna listen to them all...

btw: I played Warcraft II for a week or so because I like warcraft II so I think I just remembered the music but because it sounds like a rs music clip and I've listened to a ton of those when I still played it
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:26:30 am by Dutchling »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: January 10, 2011, 12:47:32 pm »

Deon, how about the next revision of Genesis have ALL the metals be scarce (small clusters like platinum is)?
That might be more fun. Or include an "alternate patch file" of the minerals txt so can try the all-metals-rare worlds!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: January 10, 2011, 04:58:11 pm »

Ok wath the heck , pigeons keep intrerupting my dwarfs , this is getting annoing , im going to hunt them
I imagine it like that: a dwarf hauls an item... "Oh look pigeon! Really, it's a pigeon! I better run back to the fort and tell guys there're pigeons! Maybe they have bread for them!" And so he drops his hauled item and runs back, but then decides to finish the job first. And then... "Oh look pigeon!" Yeah...

Deon, how about the next revision of Genesis have ALL the metals be scarce (small clusters like platinum is)?
That might be more fun. Or include an "alternate patch file" of the minerals txt so can try the all-metals-rare worlds!
This may be a good idea. I get way too many iron and gold in ALL of my forts.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: January 10, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »

Minor embarking problem... prices seem quite unbalanced.

lignite and bituminous coal cost only 3, same as cheap wood.
cobaltite ore: 3!!
tetrahedrite (copper&silver): 9
junk leather like boar: 10
junk metal like lead: 15
copper metal: 25
cobalt metal: 50 (3 + charcoal + work = 50)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4555 on: January 10, 2011, 05:49:49 pm »

Please don't take away my metals. I haven't even found ANY iron in this new fort  :-[ Just a little bit of copper and cobalt. My recruits feel naked.

I noticed that the new download (18e?) had pretty different embark pricing. I liked it though.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:02 pm »

Now introducing: The Spotter' Guide to Illithids!

The illithid spotter's guide gives each of the advanced illithid castes their own unique tile in Graphics mode, allowing you to tell the castes apart by eye instead of having to check their descriptions.  It does this by taking advantage of the illithid's reliance on their natural weapons, coupled with the NATURAL_SKILL token and ability to specify unit-type specific graphics, to work around the lack of the ability to specify caste-specific graphics.

At least, I think it does, because despite about 6 hours of playtime, I was unable to attract an illithid siege and find out  >:(.  I blame Ilsensine.  However, tests in adventure mode showed that the system works on player-controlled illithids, and also works on any illithid soldiers that are generated in that mode, so looks like it works....

I also took the opportunity to introduce two of the illithid-specific weapons from Illthid Empire V2, to add some diversity to the base caste, as well as the natural combat skill modifiers from the same.

I've put up two versions up.  This one doesn't modify the illithid entity (so the new weapons aren't enabled) and is meant to patch existing worlds.  I from my test, you should be able to patch active saves with it, but I'd make a backup first ;).  If used to patch an active save, the changes won't affect any illithids already on the map, but should affect any new illithids generated after the patch is applied.

This version does alter the illithid entity, and should be placed in the main raw folder before generating a new world.

Couple of lingering issues:
1)  Illithid snatchers should be displayed as a shadowy illithid.  There is no way to make thief graphics caste-specific, so you'll have to check their descriptions to find out what caste they belong to.

2)  The void master tile is a bit of a train-wreck (too complex), I included two alternate tiles at the bottom of the file, if anyone wants to try them instead.  I'm not amazingly thrilled with how the Gith tile looks, either.

3)  Also, this does not work with Illithid Empire V2, although you can see some unused tiles meant for that mod.  Dealing with the illithids being (Fortress mode) playable will require a different workaround.

@Deon: other than tweaking the natural combat skills and adding the melee weapons, the illithids are the same as they were in .18e, so if you want to include this (or some variant of this) in your next release, it shouldn't be too disruptive! :)

Edit:  Oh yeah, I tested/developed this on Genesis .18e Ironhand graphics.  I assume the phoebus tileset uses the same aberation tiles?  *Goes to check...*

DoubleEdit:  Yeah, looks like it does.  Should be compatible with both, then!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:25:29 pm by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

Hm, nice workaround. It is a bit weird but it works, I will incorporate it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4558 on: January 10, 2011, 10:08:20 pm »

By the way, the other day I built a Red Steel chair and it turned out gray. Other things I made of red steel turned out, well, red. Is this a bug?

Interesting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: January 10, 2011, 11:14:33 pm »

Deon,

When I try to embark a newly created world (right after pressing "e"), my computer restarts (blue screen). Adventure and Legend mode work flawlessly. It doesnt matter if I create a pocket world either, it simply crashes.

I have 1GB vid memory, 3GB memory, 3.2ghz i7 920 processor, so its not my hardware.

The same doesnt happen with the normal Dwarf Fortress in ASCII or an older version with tiles I downloaded in a "guide for noobs".

edit: I just downloaded and tried "deons genesis 3.18e ASCII" : COMPUTER RESTARTED.

edit 2: I just downloaded and tried "Ironhand 0.494": It worked.

Basically, I tried normal version, older version of normal version, normal version with ironhand tilesets, all worked.
Now Im going to test Phoebus.

I think it has something to do with the camera/resolution/view. What does your mod does differently regarding this? Where do I tweak resolution configs for the game? It seems that your version "centralizes" things, while other versions remain kind of raw.

My monitor is 22", widescreen with 1920x1080 resolution.

Here is a picture of the difference between the normal version with ironhand tileset and genesis with ironhand tileset. The window sizes/resolution are scaled differently, specially if I scroll mouse up and down. In ironhand, there seems to be a cap at how much I can zoom/center the image, in your mod it centers/zoom to the limit of my resolution. Also, your mod has the movie intro and the different soundtracks, these might lead to the crash too.

Ok. I made it work. When trying the phoebus version, messing around with the game files:
C:\Novos Downloads\deons genesis 3.18e phoebus\data\init
I changed init.txt and d_init.txt.

I changed it to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, I lowered stuff to test. I think it was either removal from "Windowed" YES, to "Windowed" NO that did the trick, but it might have been this >
[ARB_SYNC:YES] that I changed to NO... it didnt smelled right... I will narrow it down soon.

edit 3.: Ok, now I know what was making the game crash. The sound.
When I turn the sound setting on init.txt OFF, the game doesnt crash.
The sound doesnt crash the game in normal version, but it does in genesis mod. Why is that? What the mod does differently? Deon, what is the sound related modifications you made? Help me fix this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:24:11 am by Interesting »
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 642