Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228798 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18d ϟ] - now with Phoebus tileset
« Reply #4380 on: December 28, 2010, 04:15:54 am »

A problem with skills. You only need to change the creature_genesis.txt, it's the only update for 3.18d.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: December 28, 2010, 04:52:59 am »

A problem with skills. You only need to change the creature_genesis.txt, it's the only update for 3.18d.
I do have a macedwarf in my squad right now. Does that mean I have no problem with getting the guys to train/stuff?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: December 28, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »

Well, "the problem with skills" relates to the fact that only male ice and obsidian dwarves got increased skill growth for their special skills in 3.18c.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4383 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:36 pm »

After feeling like I have vanilla DF down to a science, but screwing up my last fort by having soldiers with too many friends (the spinning (+pig tail fiber shoe+) heralds the start of the tantrum spiral!), I am finally gutsy enough to download Genesis and give it a shot.

Why do I have this ominous feeling that I am gonna fail hard  :-X
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: December 29, 2010, 05:06:53 am »

After feeling like I have vanilla DF down to a science, but screwing up my last fort by having soldiers with too many friends (the spinning (+pig tail fiber shoe+) heralds the start of the tantrum spiral!), I am finally gutsy enough to download Genesis and give it a shot.

The tentacles will do that to you.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52:42 am »

The tentacles will do that to you.

Oh, I thought it was the horrifying breath weapons random poisons Velociraptor riders.
At least now we wont be getting brush-fires every time an obsidian dwarf sees a rabbit.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:54:25 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: December 29, 2010, 02:24:21 pm »

Deon, something catches me every time I'm making a world;  Ice on the planet extends well into the range of where it SHOULD have melted.  Is this a bug?
NOTE:  I found a patch of iceland on the very hottest part of the planet.  Odd? Yes.
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: December 29, 2010, 03:11:26 pm »

Just lost one of my starting seven - a swordsdwarf - to harmless minnows. I think it was because I ordered him to move to attack something else, and he saw the minnows, jumped right in and sank like a stone. Is it possible for minnows to be removed? As far as I can tell, they serve no purpose other than comedy (Urist cancels construct bridge: Interrupted by harmless minnow) which becomes old real fast (Urist cancels construct bridge: Interrupted by harmless minnow x 14)

EDIT: Managed to find and delete them from the raws.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:47:55 pm by EddyP »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: December 29, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »

Deon, something catches me every time I'm making a world;  Ice on the planet extends well into the range of where it SHOULD have melted.  Is this a bug?
NOTE:  I found a patch of iceland on the very hottest part of the planet.  Odd? Yes.
It's just the way you set up your world generation. Check the temperature variance parameter and the amout of tundra/glacier biomes in the world region count.

Just lost one of my starting seven - a swordsdwarf - to harmless minnows. I think it was because I ordered him to move to attack something else, and he saw the minnows, jumped right in and sank like a stone. Is it possible for minnows to be removed? As far as I can tell, they serve no purpose other than comedy (Urist cancels construct bridge: Interrupted by harmless minnow) which becomes old real fast (Urist cancels construct bridge: Interrupted by harmless minnow x 14)

EDIT: Managed to find and delete them from the raws.
I plan to call them piranhas and limit their biomes a bit. The problem is the lack of swimming skill on your dwarves as you pointed out. Why don't you train your military in swimming? It's one of the first things I do with my military guys.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4389 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:06 pm »

I am finally gutsy enough to download Genesis and give it a shot.

Well, a nice row of 5-10 weapon traps, with 5-10 spears each, does wonders for home defense. Except that the most bad-ass flayers should ignore traps due to Having Force Fields. They probably don't in Genesis. Stone fall traps are a joke since .31.01 came.

And there is always the super boring (and fps death) option of walling off the outside world and training soldiers for 5-10 YEARS.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4390 on: December 29, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »

Let's say the cold winds from Cold Region A keep that area cold. Or the magicks and gods of the realm will it so. And there's the X-axis (left-right) temperature variance parameter in worldgen. And higher elevations are colder like mountaintops.

Ponds and pools killing your dorfs? Dig safety ramps so people can Climb Out without having swimming skill. Or masonry practice: floor on top of pool, less junk stone lying around.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:29:24 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: December 29, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »

There is one thing I have noted are a serious pain.   I have tested this in 4 different worlds and various locations from untamed wilderness to a relatively calm area.  Why am I getting 4 were wolf invasions a year.  In one fort by the end of the second year there were over 100 of them running around the map and not leaving.  Think you could maybe scale back the were wolves a little.  Seriously its hard to start a fort when an invasion force is knocking on your door within 2-3 seasons of embark.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: December 29, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »

Yeah, with the addition of centaurs werewolves will come only in winter (and centaurs in summer) so you will have a spring and an autumn to breathe. I will also move traders towards those seasons so you do not get every caravan ambushed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:01 pm »

Ok cool.  I like a challenge as much as the next lunatic but that is a bit much.  On the plus side the difficulty makes adventurer mode much more fun.  Once I got one that survived enough fights to gain skill.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: December 29, 2010, 08:24:09 pm »

Whatever excuses are made for this, I'd call it a bug. At the very least, I doubt this was intentional. And it definitely breaks suspension of disbelief for me.

Just lost one of my starting seven - a swordsdwarf - to harmless minnows...
I plan to call them piranhas and limit their biomes a bit. The problem is the lack of swimming skill on your dwarves as you pointed out. Why don't you train your military in swimming? It's one of the first things I do with my military guys.
It's good advice to training swimming. (Lock them inside a "Swimming Pool" room with 4/7 to 6/7 water.)
However, I'm not convinced that simply renaming them "piranha" makes them fit the role. For one thing, minnows are tiny and piranhas need to be bigger. At least, piranha should be big enough to eat. Wikipedia reports they are usually 6 to 10 inches long and can grow up to 18 inches long. Also, it is common for people to eat them.

(Incidentally, Wikipedia also mentions some research that dispels the Hollywood hype and myths about piranha attacking anything in the water and devouring stuff in seconds. Apparently, they "may occasionally" attack humans, but this is unusual. But then, vanilla DF already had man-eating Carp!)

Yeah, with the addition of centaurs werewolves will come only in winter (and centaurs in summer) so you will have a spring and an autumn to breathe. I will also move traders towards those seasons so you do not get every caravan ambushed.
Ok cool.  I like a challenge as much as the next lunatic but that is a bit much.  On the plus side the difficulty makes adventurer mode much more fun.  Once I got one that survived enough fights to gain skill.
Yeah... It's probably good that Deon is changing the werewolves and caravans to give dwarves a fighting chance. However, even then, I will still edit them out as I'm not so much the the lunatic type.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 642