Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228231 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18 ϟ] - long worldgen again!
« Reply #3990 on: November 23, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »

Ah always wondered what bricks were--so their basically a semi expensive way to churn out alot of blocks or if you just dont want to dig alot.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: November 23, 2010, 09:13:14 pm »

Or build a 20th century Earth city, if you wanted. We just need guns to be modded in and the ability to be poisoned by the air and we're good to go.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 24, 2010, 05:39:45 am »

uuuuugghh. De-constructing a finishing forge does not give you back your anvil! have to wait a year to (possibly) get another anvil now! = /

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 24, 2010, 08:15:59 am »

Can't you cast one at the smelter?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 24, 2010, 02:45:32 pm »

Always keep at least one spare anvil. They are cheap.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 24, 2010, 02:57:05 pm »

Just noticed, but once your covered in frost worm dragonbreath, everything non-metal on you freezes off, anything you pick up freezes off, and if you even so much as TRY to wash it off in a murky pool, you get the message that you have been 'encased in ice'.

unless you can somehow burn the breath off, your pretty much screwed if you get hit by a frost worm.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: November 24, 2010, 03:45:09 pm »

Just noticed, but once your covered in frost worm dragonbreath, everything non-metal on you freezes off, anything you pick up freezes off, and if you even so much as TRY to wash it off in a murky pool, you get the message that you have been 'encased in ice'.

unless you can somehow burn the breath off, your pretty much screwed if you get hit by a frost worm.

Three things; Can't you set fires on command in adventure mode, what happens if you create a fire arrow/bolt, and did you try finding a rainy area to wash it off?

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:53 pm »

uuuuugghh. De-constructing a finishing forge does not give you back your anvil! have to wait a year to (possibly) get another anvil now! = /

It's quite possible it's still there and a dwarf hasn't moved it back to a stockpile.  If it's not in the stocks, it won't register as available for any other buildings.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 24, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »

Nice mod, though it took a while to change the gender differences (Just a little pet peeve of mine). Some of them didn't really make much sense and were, I assume, primarily for balance (Since when are women more creative, for example).

But I have to ask, is there any particular reason why none few of the male sub-races have set empathy and social awareness values? It's been a while since I messed with the raws and I've never bothered learning to for this version, so I'm not sure what their absence does. However, it seems kind of odd that they'd be missing altogether.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:30:17 pm by Blind Wolf »

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: November 24, 2010, 09:20:25 pm »

I downloaded the new Ascii version and it doesn't appear to come with any raws.  Is there a separate file I should be getting from the main download link?

Edit: Nevermind, somehow I only got 19 MB of the file.  I was unaware that it was possible to lose just part of a Rar file like that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:22:07 pm by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: November 24, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »

Nice mod, though it took a while to change the gender differences (Just a little pet peeve of mine). Some of them didn't really make much sense and were, I assume, primarily for balance (Since when are women more creative, for example).

But I have to ask, is there any particular reason why none of the male sub-races have set empathy and social awareness values? It's been a while since I messed with the raws and I've never bothered learning to for this version, so I'm not sure what their absence does. However, it seems kind of odd that they'd be missing altogether.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but is it true that there are different values for genders beyond strength and agility?  I've never looked at the raws, but I was given the impression the only significant difference was that males were "usually" stronger and women "usually" more agile.  I'd agree that making one gender more creative (or more patient, or more intuitive, etc) is kind of odd. >>

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: November 24, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »

But I have to ask, is there any particular reason why none of the male sub-races have set empathy and social awareness values? It's been a while since I messed with the raws and I've never bothered learning to for this version, so I'm not sure what their absence does. However, it seems kind of odd that they'd be missing altogether.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but is it true that there are different values for genders beyond strength and agility?  I've never looked at the raws, but I was given the impression the only significant difference was that males were "usually" stronger and women "usually" more agile.  I'd agree that making one gender more creative (or more patient, or more intuitive, etc) is kind of odd. >>

Oh yeah, definitely. Let me get you a list (for dwarves, anyway). Other than what you've metioned, males have higher toughness, and women have higher creativity and patience. Also, men are missing empathy and social awareness set-values entirely, and women have much, much higher willpower. Male values go from 700 to 2500, and female's go from 1250 to 5000(!) for willpower. There are also some differences with personality values, usually by about ten points. Getting into specific dwarf sub-races, female stone dwarves live about 10 years less than males, and female aspids live 100 years or so longer than males (females go from 250 to 320, and males have standard dwarf values, if I remember right). That's about all I can remember, since I've changed the values for most of them already. It could be different for other races, but I never bothered to check since I never play them.

This isn't true for all sub-races. Jade dwarf males, for example, have equal willpower to the females and they do have empathy and social awareness values. And shroom dwarves have the same values for most things for both genders. Female steel dwarves are better than males in almost everyway except agility, patience, and memory. Gloomer genders are nearly identical, too. The stuff in the first paragraph mainly applies to the more... standard dwarf subraces.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:26:46 pm by Blind Wolf »

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:28 pm »

Well, that's kind of odd, isn't it?  I like the "Stronger/More Agile" comparison, but the rest just gets kind of stereotypical or arbitrary.  Plus, if they don't count for the more rare castes, why have them for anyone?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: November 25, 2010, 12:57:12 am »

I'm noticing that the Naga of the serpent men way overpower the Orks despite their advanced armor and weapons.  I think it maw have to do with the 3 shields and a mace they almost always carry.  The increased number of shields does appear to increase the chance to block by about 3 times.  This also makes it harder for me to get them to dodge into deep pits.  Not asking for a nerf just wondering if this is as intended?
Yeah, I would love them to use 4 arms for different weapons, but the game currently gives them shields, so it makes them much stronger in blocking.

Also, mind flayer wrestler sproutings seem to be the new whips. They were shattering bones through decent red steel armour.
Blunt attacks are supposed to hurt through armor. 20 kg maul or sledgehammer to plate-mailed knight's shoulder! 15 peasants with wooden clubs vs. elite-armor knight, peasants always win, wrestling helps.

But they weren't using mauls or hammers - they were using their face tentacles to 'sprout' my soldiers and breaking their bones.

If I remember correctly from when I asked (That is something like five pages ago), Tomi found the raws and sprout is basically a super-piercing blunt attack.  I also think it uses the bite skill, not wrestle.  It's an absurdly powerful skill sightly evened out by the Illithid's lack of armor.

Hey Deon, how did work out force fields again?  If they're part of the body, why don't they show up on a list of body parts, or get injured? Is it possible to pierce through them?  I recall saying you wanted to make them like tissue, but tissue get damaged, with repercussions to the character.
I haven't updated the mod since that discussion. Knowing me you probably understand that I would patch it 10 times more if I had time :). I am just a bit busy in university with the end of it coming closer.

But I have to ask, is there any particular reason why none few of the male sub-races have set empathy and social awareness values?
Because they do nothing? And not set values mean default parameters.

Well, that's kind of odd, isn't it?  I like the "Stronger/More Agile" comparison, but the rest just gets kind of stereotypical or arbitrary.  Plus, if they don't count for the more rare castes, why have them for anyone?
It's totally arbitrary, I even don't remember settings this... I think I was just fiddling with these tokens after they became avaliable to see how it works and forgot about them. Also willpower now governs pain tolerance, so I have to tweak it considering that fact.

Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't work on the mental stats for a while.
I plan to change the speed of different skills' training for different castes for the next release, so it will come along nicely.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:58:58 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: November 25, 2010, 01:00:11 am »

I'm cross posting this from the Mayday thread, in the event that anyone over here has an insight. Long story short, I'm trying to merge Mayday's tile-set (just the tiles, not the creature graphics) with Genesis.

In both the Genesis/Mayday v.16 that Deon put out a while back, and my own mix for .18, all of the bushes that have their tile set to the ' " ' character show up as completely transparent and display just a solid square of their background color.

It seems to be only that one tile. And it's probably not just a problem with transparency because Mayday's releases obviously work fine by themselves...

I've tried everything I can think of, including poking the tile-set's alpha channel with GIMP for an hour or so. No luck.

Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 642