Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228553 times)

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

Hello, I'm playing v3.12 and I've just discovered adamantine (for the first time in Genesis, yay) but I can't mine it. Is it supposed to be so?
And by the way what does a blast furnace do? My brand new magma BF has no options available :(

Blast furnace is a more efficient way of making steel - six fuel, six flux, and six iron ore (not bars, like normal), and creates six steel bars.  It takes a little longer to make (since you have to gather 18 ingredients, plus one to fuel the reaction, or magma), but takes less fuel than it would take to make six pure iron bars and six steel from them (that would be, if I'm doing my math right, 6 flux, 6 wood, 6 iron ore, and 12 fuel).

My main problem was that by the time I get a BF set up, I've usually already created a big stack of iron, and have to make steel the other way.

I really should up my embark points a little, just enough for a copper battle axe to start - I'm really tired of losing a dwarf less than five minutes in before I can forge my steel battle axe or train the animals into the war variety, and usually to something that will fall immediately to a weapon, but will utterly destroy an unarmed, unarmoured dwarf.

Last embark, I embarked in the middle of a herd of elephants.

Damn Genesis Elephants.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crucible (wootz) steel is now called black steel.
Regular steel is [MAX_EDGE:27500]     [SHEAR_FRACTURE:1379000] edged defense
Black steel [MAX_EDGE:32000]  [SHEAR_FRACTURE:1400000]
Red steel [MAX_EDGE:42000]  [SHEAR_FRACTURE:1600000]

Bronze [MAX_EDGE:15000]  [SHEAR_FRACTURE:241000] puny as armor
Iron [MAX_EDGE:14500]  [SHEAR_FRACTURE:850000]
How good is bismuth bronze as armour?

Same as bronze, just more valuable.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile

How about as a weapon?

negorath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about as a weapon?

Actually, from the latest version I can't see ANY difference between Bismuth and regular Bronze, and that includes the value :-\

Oh wait, it has a different color :p

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile

How about as a weapon?

Actually, from the latest version I can't see ANY difference between Bismuth and regular Bronze, and that includes the value :-\

It should be heavier and better as armour. Well...I think it should because bronze + rock = ultra hard bronze.

Zanethda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a list of known issues? I've run across a few problems regarding the graphic sets while doing a bit of organizing to the files to suit my OCD, but I don't want to be reposting stuff that's already known about. Didn't see anything on page 1, nor is a search on the mod's wiki for "bugs" nor "known issues" yielding anything.

Also, apologies if there's already been mention of it in previous pages, I only went back five or so. This thread is pretty long. D:
On the item is an image of Ngom Fishsin the goblin and a alligator in mountain goat leather. The alligator is striking down Ngom Fishsin. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Ngom Fishsin by a alligator in Crueljoy in The Mechanical Spine in the late autumn of 11 during Kaguskok, "The Crazy Assault".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

How has stability been? i really want to play but the crashes are a major issue for me.
It's as stable as common DF, I've experienced rare crashes (about one per week) on both vanilla and this ver.
I must say that 0.31.13 version is less stable than 0.31.12.

Is there a list of known issues? I've run across a few problems regarding the graphic sets while doing a bit of organizing to the files to suit my OCD, but I don't want to be reposting stuff that's already known about.
I tried to fix most of the known issues, so I don't remember any now. I think I forgot to fix 0.31.13'th vanilla bug with unmineable adamantine but it should be easy to fix.
Change
Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:RAW_ADAMANTINE]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[THREAD_METAL:ADAMANTINE:100]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:raw adamantine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten raw adamantine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling raw adamantine]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:3:7:1]
[TILE:156]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:250]
[SPEC_HEAT:7500]
[MELTING_POINT:25000]
[BOILING_POINT:50000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:200]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:2600]
[MOLAR_MASS:55845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:5000000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:5000000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:5000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[TENSILE_YIELD:5000000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[TORSION_YIELD:5000000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:5000000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[SHEAR_YIELD:5000000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:5000000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[BENDING_YIELD:5000000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:5000000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0]
[DEEP_SPECIAL]
[MAX_EDGE:1000] no swords until you can pick mats
[ITEMS_HARD]
[IS_STONE]
, replace all 5000000 with 4000000. 5'000'000 seems to be an "unmineable" value.

Please report any errors you find, don't care if they were reported or not. It makes them to be much easier to fix.

How about as a weapon?

It should be heavier and better as armour. Well...I think it should because bronze + rock = ultra hard bronze.
Actually bismuth bronze should be lighter, but I forgot to address that. Thank you, I'll fix it. Basically it will be a bit worse for bludgeoning weapons but will be lighter as equipment.

Hello, I'm playing v3.12 and I've just discovered adamantine (for the first time in Genesis, yay) but I can't mine it. Is it supposed to be so?
And by the way what does a blast furnace do? My brand new magma BF has no options available :(
As I said, it's an error from 0.31.13, I forgot to fix it. Open /raw/objects/inorganic_stone_mineral.txt and change the above mentioned adamantine values.

My main problem was that by the time I get a BF set up, I've usually already created a big stack of iron, and have to make steel the other way.
Thanks, I will consider that. I will try to make it more useful.

So I just got a group of migrants, the first oddity is that almost all of them were legendary something or other (Hammerdwarf, Cook, Blowgunner, Clothier, and Appraiser) I thought migrants never really came above Proficient?

The more strange oddity is that one of the dwarves' profession is Master Thief. She is a professional knife user and professional ambusher. I can assign her a noble position, but other than that she is useless. Not listed in the military screen, no ability to change her professions. Any ideas what the deal with her is?

Perhaps she is an "undesireable", and you would be best locking her up, or conspiring somehow to keep her from teaching "classes".
It's a new "feature" of 0.31.13. The only use I've found for them is a noble position. They do noble stuff.

Sorry to everyone for not replying, I was in the country for 3 days helping my grandma :). Now I am back, ready to provide feedback and patches.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zanethda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mkay then~ Not really bugs, just graphics issues. Mostly dead weight.

CAT appears in both graphics_animal_feline.txt and graphics_animals_domestic.txt, along with their corresponding images. So far this is the only duplicate I've found.

Unused images:
* animals/fanciful.bmp
* animals/mountain.bmp
* animals/riverlake.bmp
* animals/savagetropical.bmp
* animals/tundra.bmp
* animals/temperate.bmp
* animals/tropical.bmp
On the item is an image of Ngom Fishsin the goblin and a alligator in mountain goat leather. The alligator is striking down Ngom Fishsin. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Ngom Fishsin by a alligator in Crueljoy in The Mechanical Spine in the late autumn of 11 during Kaguskok, "The Crazy Assault".

mgrinshpon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEMI_INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile

Been playing the 31.12b version: love it. If only there was a subsection for this mod. 217 pages are a massive inconvenience Fun festival to read through.
Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon, can you look up jagged weapons?
Something is seriously wrong if a copper spear can pierce a red steel shirt with ease.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

I just started a game with this mod yesterday, so far its pretty fun.  Dark Elf ambushes.  Also, I'm trading with the orcs O_o.  But that really doesn't surprise me, as one time my home civ was friendly with goblins (They brought me...  a bunch of useless garbage, the orcs on the other hand have brought me a lot of leather.)

Genesis orcs are a peaceful civ, like humans. They're loosely based on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion orcs and oriental humans.

I really should up my embark points a little, just enough for a copper battle axe to start - I'm really tired of losing a dwarf less than five minutes in before I can forge my steel battle axe or train the animals into the war variety, and usually to something that will fall immediately to a weapon, but will utterly destroy an unarmed, unarmoured dwarf.

One can easily put 2-5 points of dodging skill on the Embark Seven, to increase survival and combat fitness. I have usually 1450 embark points, but the prices of some items seem to vary from world to world.

One can also embark in a fluffy peaceful elfin area where the cute wuddly fluffer wamblers roam.

ps. Death causes fun and challenge, and for megaproject / dollhouse perfection set dwarf speed to 10 (90x faster).

pps.
Deon, can you look up jagged weapons? Something is seriously wrong if a copper spear can pierce a red steel shirt with ease.
Toady-and-Deon-approved copper whips probably go through any armor, also. (blunt with narrowness "1", I think 8-20 would be more reasonable)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:33:02 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Well I can tone down them a little, but the armor is not "glancy-off-style" any more and it's a feature. So dodging and shield skills are much more important now, probably more than armor.

I'm really tired of losing a dwarf less than five minutes in before I can forge my steel battle axe or train the animals into the war variety, and usually to something that will fall immediately to a weapon, but will utterly destroy an unarmed, unarmoured dwarf.
I find no real issue with embarking with one military dwarf and a few pieces of cassiterite and tetrahedrite (which means instant bronze armor). Considering the fact that I usually bring a weapon/armorsmith in my starting 7 pack, I get a fine bronze armor ready to withstand any animals.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

New Dwarf Therapist thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0
and probably new releases too.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

Hello Deon

I am still playing the latest 31.12 graphical version of genesis and the variety and changes are sweet.  Here are the odities and problems I have had.

1.  Female / Male balance.  I currently have 83 dwarves.  75 are female.  8 are male.  I thing someone else mentioned this earlier and I am not sure that it matters really but thought I would verify it.

2.  The fire chunking dwarves nearly killed my game.  They were chunking fireballs at a goblin thief and set almost the whole topside on fire.  It got to where my dwarves were taking about one step a minute.  I finally got fed up and used dfliquid to douse everything in water. 

Other than that it's just graphical things which would be iron hand I suppose.  Is there a way to use Mayday with Genesis?  I guess it would be missing lots of graphics for the different items.  Mainly I do not like that all the stones look just alike, the corpse pictures it uses for cages instead of something to identify what is in the cage, and how dark the floors and some items are. 

Oh course all this could be fixed in the new version.  If so just ignore this. 

Thanks for an awesome mod. 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Just take the ASCII version and apply Mayday on top of it.

The "skeleton in a cage" is a DF bug so I cannot do anything with it... It's a side effect of having nice "corpses" :(.

I will try to play with population ratio more. Right now it's obvious that it's not used correctly, probably some DF formula problem.

If you dislike forest fires (:D), go into creature_genesis.txt and remove [FIREBREATH] from obsidian caste.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 642