Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228982 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't get how did you get it, I usually get 1 army per season. How did you achieve it?

Don't know, just have your mod with some stuff from Civilization Forge thrown in. But I usually get 3-5 armies every other season along with 3+ groups of ambushers. Right now I have about 100 hostile enemies on my map.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I confirm that sometimes you get multiple sieges at once.
I had 2x ezrakim elves and 2x keepers siege in one season.
Funny thing was that they fough with lizardfolk ambushes, 3 salamander firebreaths and one group was pretty much done.

Also , I found out that you can't tame and train Nightwings. Shame.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

its because they have the same triggers for trade and stuff

I got orcs and nords at same time and along came tree elves as trading partners

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I think I'm almost done. I need to redraw two more tree tiles and finish orcish military tiles.

3.12 is going to be a "balance" release again. There's not a lot of stuff added (the most obvious are critters by TomiTapio: boa, python and bronze statue).

However I've made some work fixing lots of small errors and making stuff "better" and I've changed the metalworking a bit.

You will get full info on the wiki soon, for now eat the ironworks :).

P.S. Oh I forgot to say that I am removing the music. On the bright side, I will edit Soundsense config to include sounds for Genesis creatures.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:27:07 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't wait for that alchemy.

I love overly complex combination systems.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

Hey Deon, will blacksteel be allowed for weapons still?

Also, on your chart, you mention specific a specific iron ore to make blacksteel, and bauxite (a specific flux) to make redsteel.  Will they have to be those specific ores, or can they be any iron ore/flux?

Finally, will the steel made from pure iron and wood (How I usually make it at first), be inferior to the steel made of Pure iron, pig iron, and coal?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon ,why dwarfs can melt cobalite items, re-forge them into something else, but not smelth them from cobalite directly?

@up BS reqs ilmenite, RS req bauxite, it is how it says.

btw, Bauxite is not a flux stone

also, no, it won't. It is the same steel.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:26:26 pm by Z1000000m »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, on your chart, you mention specific a specific iron ore to make blacksteel, and bauxite (a specific flux) to make redsteel.  Will they have to be those specific ores, or can they be any iron ore/flux?

Finally, will the steel made from pure iron and wood (How I usually make it at first), be inferior to the steel made of Pure iron, pig iron, and coal?
Well Bauxite isn't flux, it's a type of stone, and illiminite isn't just iron ore, it has vanadium in it.
Nom nom nom

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

Well Bauxite isn't flux, it's a type of stone, and illiminite isn't just iron ore, it has vanadium in it.

Ah, you're entirely correct, so I suppose if you don't have access to those stones, you're pretty much out of luck.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That wire diagram is very nice, and is informative.  I am not sure if it is possible on a wiki page, but it would be simple enough with HTML to use a mouseover (lots of them) to link the boxes in your image to the relevant page for the particular stone.  That would make it far more useful. :)

EDIT: I hope you don't mind me editing your page, but I am going to try and get the mouseover working on the wiki.  I am still not sure if it's possible on wiki.

EDIT 2: Seems you can quite easily do it using ImageMaps.  It's very similar to HTML if you're familiar with that.  You have to install an extension on your wiki though, so I can't do it. :(  HERE you can find instructions and the download for the extension.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:29:25 pm by Still Standing »
Diggy diggy hole.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, you're entirely correct, so I suppose if you don't have access to those stones, you're pretty much out of luck.
both of those are almost always able to be able to be ordered from the home civ, but you won't get much each caravan, certainly not enough to field a full army, a small elite squad perhaps though.
Nom nom nom

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Right now the "ironworks" metal smelting system looks like this:
But the crucible makes steel super easily, just with iron and wood, easier than bronzes.
That diagram shows no pure iron needed for black steel?
I suggest brown color on wood and coal in diagram. Or flaming fuel red. Steels a shiny gray :)

The crucible feels too easy, as wrought-iron making is more difficult, requiring an anvil. Maybe must make crucible of magma-safe stuff or iron?

Maybe we should melt bought black steel stuff (seems plentiful) and make elite weapons out of that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:58:23 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ironworks is more realistic, however, I feel like for balance sake something has to be done.

Iron and wrought iron are completely pointless. In most situations, by the time you are even contemplating making weapons and armor, steel is even easier to access than iron; even more so with the blast furnace allowing the use of ore.

I would suggest perhaps moving pig iron back into the situation for the sake of balance over realism.

Just a suggestion that steel is far too easy to obtain, compared to how it previously was.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would personally like a real struggle for high quality materials like steel

I purpously embarked in aquifer regions and only able to mine goelinite only 8 steel bars that round of gaming lol was super fun

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I consider adding a Flux to the wood+iron reaction to get steel. Also it's funny how it was there all the time and only when I make a graphical diagram people start to notice it. It means that it's important to make stuff like this to make the mod easier to understand.

I will look into the Imagemap thingie.

P.S. OK it's here: http://community.wikidot.com/forum/t-241410 , you have to use [HTML] tags to make it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:24:49 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 642