Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229116 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.11 ϟ] - a GrandFix
« Reply #2880 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:17 am »

Time to start a new fort! I changed my creatures biomes a little, more critters in rocky desert and badlands. (After seeing desert giraffes documentary)
that no-caverns no-magma, one layer of stone ONLY fort wasn't much fun after realized there's only werewolves as the enemy.

ps. removed Flier from illithid-creature, they're not superman, only psionic.
added [AMBUSHPREDATOR] to tiger and giant tiger.
still want a rabbit-like creature for caves, maybe I'll call them "hoppers" and they survive by fleeing and eating cave plants.

Handledyes log...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:55:24 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: September 02, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

Handledyes outdoors, 4x4, some mountainous, mostly swamp.

Handledyes caverns, 4x4, pink marble, bright yellow gold:

caverns' parameters:
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: September 02, 2010, 12:26:18 pm »

Ah, I forgot an unrelated question - I have a large number of vellum, and a library - but no option to study anything - how do you use vellum for studying purposes?

Make a scriptorium (spelling is off maybe) and you can choose which types of tomes to write, then either hand out the task at the library to study or go through the job manager.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:33 pm »

Tell me sth - have you looked at fps before and after cave discovery?
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: September 02, 2010, 01:35:39 pm »

I too noticed that FPS constantly drops, like -20 fps every year (or so) with stable fort, even with inv off

That being said, I doubt its the right place to discuss that kind of stuff

That is mainly because the number of items on the map is growing. You should try to dump all kind of sh*t on the map.

Funny thing is that I noticed this when running a test fort for new df (back then, i think 06 or so). Inv off, low pop cap, pregnancies off etc. I was dumping every single useless stone, not making many crafts and not mining at all.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: September 02, 2010, 01:40:11 pm »

I was dumping every single useless stone

Realize this, finally - dumping, smashing is NOT clearing, IMHO, data clutter.
IT IS STILL there, in memory, again, imho.
I am too small to ask Toady for clear confirmation, maybe some Elder one could.
For me this sounds plausible, especially if i can see GIGANTIC memory usage that is rising in time.

I tried to check, if dumping stone into 1x1 px space(compacting stone area) would help - it is NOT helping at all. Smashing is not helping at all too. Designated area size is not reason, imHo. Time for checking Deon's custom workshops influence with reacted materials(=specific clutter amount change)...this could help, maybe.

btw - every siege, even after whole fockin brigade leave finally(without fight, nor clutter left) is lowering fps too(pernamently).
Again, data is not cleared, imHo.

for some reason it reminds me Oblivion with >200 mods and thousands working scripts(even, if these scripts SHOULD NOT be processed from logical POV - but they are, just because engine is telling  that they should be processed).
Now i will shut up, before someone name me unfriendly madman spamming everywhere(even if i CARE).
DF is SO big game(i still cannot believe HOW complex technically it is, sweet LORD!), that i am not surprised, but...i wonder - what would be FPS timeline, if we strip civs to dwarves - i mean - is WHOLE MAP hitory/occurences are processed ALL the time(even, if after embark it is not...well, useful?). These technical solutions are more interestinf for me, that making chairs, you know :) I am curious, how it is working.
----
btw, fort i was talking about yesterday has..27 yrs, not 7, my bad). FPS=56 now, ZERO enemies, no caves discovered, massive amounts of clutter on map. I'd say: not bad, NOT BAD :D, but what will happen with fps in another 25 yrs?

Sorry for multiple edits, beer influence is obvious..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:02:46 pm by McBeer »
----------

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: September 02, 2010, 02:11:58 pm »

Are things removed from memory if they are used in production? ie. does producing tonnes of rock crafts and selling them help?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 02, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »

Are things removed from memory if they are used in production?

selling them help?
hah that's good questions: selling items is NOT helping(i assume, that EVERY single item made on our maps is..PROCESSED!, even if it is NOT ON MAP!(exported, destroyed, smashed, whatever)). That's point of my earlier post. I'd love to hear about this from someone that understand this engine. One thing to check - .12 has option to GIVE away brib..erm, items for free for lord of each civ - it could be good idea to check, what would happen after giving away...everything.
Problem: WEIGHT. no wagons=no method for check.
Well? Where are wagons? Cmon...

Game is ultimately fascinating, in many aspects. Toady is awesome man, even engine investigations are fascinating there.

Toady must be uberman.

Deon, i hope you will forgive me (for?) these posts - it is all about your mod greatness - i mean that Genesis is way for pushing DF to the limits, and whole thing is SO related to engine we do have now(.12).
What ennerves me - that we still can see so LITTLE from what's going on and how from engine POV(deep debug).

you know, i am in gaming and computers since 1984 and believe me, DF is just..damn, unique thing - i could tell that it may be BEST simulator ever made, what may leading to simulating WHOLE defined world in few (dozens) of years of developing.
Thing, that NOBODY done so far in history. Then - requirements will be extremely high, but actual state vs output is not entirely ok, imho. For me, determining clutter reason is very important now - small engine probs may rise in time, that's clear for me.

again, sry for multiple reedits of post and engrish.
please, tell me to stfu, if my thoughts are just..rubbish, it is hard to precisely articulate my thoughts in english, you know...i hope that someone feel like me, and understand my way of thinking about what do i see.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:36:00 pm by McBeer »
----------

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: September 02, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

I just installed and patched 3.11.  I'm getting all sorts of weirdness at the "prepare carefully" screen.  Ant lungs, silkworm kidneys, tame forgotten beast and cave fish men pets that cost 1 point.  The only silk cloth options are "frozen iron man gas cloth" and "unknown frozen creature substance cloth".  I'm guessing something's screwy with overwriting the raws, but I think I'll have to try "installing" everything again.

OK, this seems to be happening when I mod dwarf speed.  I've never had an issue with this before, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the raw layout.  Do I need to mod each caste section with a [SPEED: ] line, or what?

EDIT:  Nevermind.  It was caused by having a .bak file in with the txt files.  DF can't tell the difference.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:43:52 pm by oolon1 »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »

Have you thought about the bag/bin combining calculations, and does one get a FPS drop after making the first ~30 bins? Binless fort perhaps? Different binning parameters (set in init)?
Then there's the nano-fort (1x1 embark by executable hacking) players.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:20 pm »

Before the material rewrite, the metals for armor and weapons were pretty clear concerning "stats"

Clownium was best by FAR, then steel, then iron, then bronze, then copper, then wood/bone/other metals.

How about now? Are things still the same? How will your custom metals fit into this line up of power?

Also, any chance we could get the change logs on the front page? Its kinda hard to dig through weeks of comments to see what gets changed/removed/added.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: September 02, 2010, 06:08:51 pm »

I just installed and patched 3.11.  I'm getting all sorts of weirdness at the "prepare carefully" screen.  Ant lungs, silkworm kidneys, tame forgotten beast and cave fish men pets that cost 1 point.  The only silk cloth options are "frozen iron man gas cloth" and "unknown frozen creature substance cloth".  I'm guessing something's screwy with overwriting the raws, but I think I'll have to try "installing" everything again.

OK, this seems to be happening when I mod dwarf speed.  I've never had an issue with this before, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the raw layout.  Do I need to mod each caste section with a [SPEED: ] line, or what?

EDIT:  Nevermind.  It was caused by having a .bak file in with the txt files.  DF can't tell the difference.
It's good that you've figured it out. I've broken my head trying to figure out what in 3.11 could cause it :).

Also, any chance we could get the change logs on the front page? Its kinda hard to dig through weeks of comments to see what gets changed/removed/added.
Sure, I will add a spoilered changelog under Download links.

How about now? Are things still the same? How will your custom metals fit into this line up of power?
"Clownium" is still the best for everything but hammers. It's supposed to be like that I guess.

please, tell me to stfu
Why? You're right. Even stolen babies still appear on map when you look with memory hacking programs. It still helps because you have smaller lists so the sold items are not processed every time a dwarf checks for materials, but they still sit somewhere in the save file.

Tell me sth - have you looked at fps before and after cave discovery?
Opening caverns SHOULD cause a FPS drop because there appears to be a way on the surface and in your fort and every underground critter (which are usually many) starts to calculate its possible routes to the surface (even without moving there).

Back in old HFS even when you wall off HFS after you discover it, you still get many clowns which started to try to pathfind to the surface and it caused TONS of lag. I don't think that pathfinding algorythm changed much during the version change.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:14:15 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: September 02, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »

Ah, I forgot an unrelated question - I have a large number of vellum, and a library - but no option to study anything - how do you use vellum for studying purposes?
Sorry, I missed your post :). Make a scriptorium and use vellums to make tomes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:20 pm »

big wall of text

Yeah well, when I say dumping I actually mean destroying the item completely, either by magma or AS. Stupid simplification.

Also, im suprised that i was right( or rather, was thinking right) about the data not being cleared (I mean, what else can it be when im not doing anything and still getting drops)
Its kind of a letdown since I abbandon when my fps with things turned off drops below 90 or so

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: September 02, 2010, 06:41:36 pm »

This isn't the fault of Genesis or anything, but generally speaking, am I the only one who hates trading because they always have to scroll through and reject giving items you accidentally brought to the depot?

No, I DONT want to give you those vellum or tomes, TAKE THE EFFIN MUGS!
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 642