Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228697 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.11 ϟ] - a GrandFix
« Reply #2820 on: August 29, 2010, 09:29:44 am »

Also, just how effective is platinum for weapons? I find it quite funny and annoying that goblins run around with masterwork platinum spears.
Seriously though, why even the most generic goblin enemies have such high quality items?
Gobbos have platinum because it isn't an alloy, and gobs have STONE_PREF (ore smelting). How come they have masterwork items?
Might be better to just have gobboes with bronze-making and wrought-making.

some archery strikes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:31:52 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: August 29, 2010, 09:57:12 am »

The flying {-mahogany bolt-} strikes The Cougar in the head, tearing the muscle, chipping the skull and tearing the brain!
Ahem, that's a problem I see here. How could it tear the brain when it just chipped the skull?

it said that the hammer hit her through the cloak, totally ignoring the 2 layers of heavy armor in the process.
Again, a DF weirdness, probably related to an above example. I haven't figured out why can an armor piece be ignored.

I think it goes through ALL armor levels, but have you ever seen "damages X through Y and Z"? I've never seen the "and" part, it looks like the announcer picks the armor piece which blocked the most damage and announces it. In case of cloak it blocked more damage than armor because it has bigger surface so the game thinks that it accepted more speed or acceleration, which is the most important (+weight) parameter of a blunt attack.

Basically more surface = better protection vs. blunt, and harder material = better protection vs. edge.

So the perfect defence would be a good armor under a metal robe. So far you can make only adamantine thread, but I plan to add asbestos so it should be a good material for clothes to provide additional protection vs. blunt attacks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:59:34 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: August 29, 2010, 10:15:12 am »

Maybe the bolt struck with such force that it caused a paradox?Edit:All dwarfs are immune to fire and magma for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:29:51 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:27 am »

I'm using your mod (of course) and I have been experiencing some weird behavior. For some reason any time I kill an enemy (thief/ambusher/sieger doesn't matter) all of their drops are marked as forbidden, even though I have it set in the orders to claim the death items. I tried searching to see if this was a DF related bug or not but couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: August 29, 2010, 11:39:15 am »

... I plan to add asbestos so it should be a good material for clothes to provide additional protection vs. blunt attacks.

How about, rather than mesothelioma causing asbestos, you add in some sort of fantasy weave or cloth that takes normal thread and make it stronger.  For example, you could add a new material called "Dwarven Denim" which is a cloth that is stronger than normal cloth.  Then throw in a custom workshop to turn, if you want to be hardcore, cave cotton into Dwarven Denim, then you can dye it blue with dimple dye, and then you can make trousers out of it and...I think i should stop there.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: August 29, 2010, 11:39:35 am »

Edit:All dwarfs are immune to fire and magma for some reason.

You have temperature turned off.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: August 29, 2010, 12:09:32 pm »

The flying {-mahogany bolt-} strikes The Cougar in the head, tearing the muscle, chipping the skull and tearing the brain!
Ahem, that's a problem I see here. How could it tear the brain when it just chipped the skull?

It must be the weaker brother of the magic bullet.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: August 29, 2010, 12:14:51 pm »

Basically more surface = better protection vs. blunt, and harder material = better protection vs. edge.
So the perfect defence would be a good armor under a metal robe. So far you can make only adamantine thread, but I plan to add asbestos so it should be a good material for clothes to provide additional protection vs. blunt attacks.
Yeah annoying when a toughleather robe is the best possible head armor.
I think the brain-outside-skull problem is related to the "chain mail not protect genitals".

Please, no asbestos, that is not very medieval or Roman.
Maybe "make leather strip thread", get a high-strength thread material from that, then "weave leather with bone/wood reinforcements cloth armor". You know one can wear multiple layers of leather, just like three chain mails on one dwarf. Does the vanilla leather armor allow multi-wearing of it (Shaped or not)?
How about "Make armor from fiber rope"? And leather rope, and tree-flexible-bark rope. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_bark_textile  )

ps. other things I thought today: womp rats. Bonfire workshop, constructed from 2 wood 2 charcoal, it outputs something very hot that starts a forest fire.
pps. entity_default, give [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS_TIP] to those who can make them. and same for stone-tip arrows. Because cavemen had flint-tip arrows.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:34:06 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: August 29, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »

...Please, no asbestos, that is not very medieval or Roman...

Actually it's very much a Roman thing, they loved it because it couldn't burn and was therefor magical to them...

"History of Asbestos
Earliest Uses: The Greeks and The Romans

The earliest uses of asbestos date back almost 3,000 years to what is now considered Scandinavia, where archeologists have found pottery and chinking of log homes that utilized asbestos. But asbestos use became more prevalent during the apex of the Greek civilization when the "mystical" properties of asbestos made it almost as valuable as gold.  In fact, chrysotile, the most common form of asbestos in use today, is Greek for gold (chrysos) fiber (tilos)."

Is it possible to make it fireproof? I'll have my best warriors wear asbestos robes over their armor if it could protect from the occasional misthrown fireball!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: August 29, 2010, 01:24:42 pm »

I don't think the Roman military wore asbestos to protect them from enemy weapons.

Epic were fighting in the one-stone-layer world...

Edit: Excel sheet of how steel crossbow bashing goes, and all that abovementioned battle.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/oiledyears%20weres%20etc%20log.xls

Were my war elephants any good? had 3 or 4 of them, 3 remain.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:46:36 pm by TomiTapio »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: August 29, 2010, 04:13:35 pm »

Please forbid goblins and alike from using platinum armor.
Even leggins can stop mighty artifact class BS Baxe, which makes dorfs very underpowered.
I mean, with such props, it can be used by leaders and such, but having legions of gobs and orcs equipped with even rarer platinum makes next to no sense.
Also testicles shouldn't have large arteries, lols.

Also, consider making a shop that improves one's shield skill. There are dummies for weapons, course for dodging ,but no shield one.

edit: ok, now this is just ridiculous, copper leggins should not deflect black steel weapons.
Im starting to think that BS stats are somewhat weak.
Apparently pitting a Bs dwarf agains 4 gobbos lead by an elf with silver/platinum gear resuslts in a load of deflected shots, 2 decapitations, one hearth cutting, 2 testicle torn-outs and one shitty ass lucky hit to the dwarfs leg resulting in all the breaks and fractures possible, followed by a thrid decapitation.
Turns out moss dwarfs are too cool to care about utterly screwed up legs, they just regenerate it in days.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:42:22 pm by Z1000000m »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: August 29, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »

Ahem, the platinum armor is somewhat unintended. Guys wanted to be able to make platinum weapons and armors, so I allowed it... but it turned this way. I think I will stop native platinum from being a platinum ore and make a reaction to get platinum. Thus without adding it to other races they won't have it.

but no shield one.
Weight lifting.

BS is a bit better than steel, just a bit. It's just a crucible steel.

And I will test blunt vs clothes and armor more. And Dwarven Smokeologist is right, asbestos is a very roman thing and that's the main reason I want to add it. Not for military purposes :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: August 29, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »

Edit:All dwarfs are immune to fire and magma for some reason.

You have temperature turned off.
No I haven't.It's on and dwarfs seem to be fire and magma immune.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: August 29, 2010, 08:28:34 pm »

It's only on obsidian dwarves and set up properly. But the game may bug and apply it to other castes as well. I should check it. For now enjoy your magma proof dwarves. Make them to surf on it and make magmafalls instead of waterfalls :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

JagoBallium

• Bay Watcher
  • Bringer of the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: August 29, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »

But deon, don't we already make magma falls?  :P
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 642