Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228566 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.11 ϟ] - a GrandFix
« Reply #2760 on: August 27, 2010, 06:33:49 am »

But it's called exactly "javelin" in every article I've read on norman war gear :). Yeah it's not thrown, it's a big thrusting spear. I don't think it's an issue until we get real throwing weapons for the fortress mode.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: August 27, 2010, 07:24:57 am »

After following the thread for about a 150 pages, I figured I'd create an account and participate!

I really quite enjoy Genesis, Deon, even through the "Oh god thousands of uncookable seeds" and other random bugs, it remains the most of I've had with DF since the massive version change.

I do have a couple of questions, if it's alright (All of this is based off of 3.0, I have yet to start the just-released version):

Maybe my biggest question:  Does the magma blast furnace have a purpose?  The normal blast furnace takes 6 ore, 6 flux, and 6 fuel to produce 6 steel bars.  The magma blast furnace takes....  6 ore, 6 flux, and 6 fuel to produce 6 steel bars.  Am I missing something?

Embarking and World Gen - I tend to produce high-volcanism worlds, yet no matter what worlds I produce, Dusk Elves die out, even at year 100.  Is there a way to save them?

I tend to embark in untamed wildernesses, in regions where every hostile race (red lines and all) appear on the embark screen, yet, I haven't seen anything beyond kobolds on any embarks, no matter the number of dwarves, wealth, or years in. 

Oddly, other than one embark on a river where I got some fish, and another where I got some random birds (ravens, I think), the majority of my embarks are devoid of life - forests, plains, tropical - untamed wilderness, Joyous Wilds - Not a single animal comes onto my screen.  What could be happening here?

Sorry for the long post, haven't participated in a forum for quite a while.  Looking forward to playing the new version!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2762 on: August 27, 2010, 07:55:59 am »

Finished merging Genesis 3.1 to my stuffs.

Changes and suggestions from me:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey, managed to roll a world to year 1050 without crashing!

Welcome to the party Rainekage! Perhaps you have a creature graphics improvement request for Deon the artist?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:00:04 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: August 27, 2010, 08:23:12 am »

I really quite enjoy Genesis, Deon, even through the "Oh god thousands of uncookable seeds" and other random bugs, it remains the most of I've had with DF since the massive version change.
Thank you :). And seeds are cookable now.

Maybe my biggest question:  Does the magma blast furnace have a purpose?  The normal blast furnace takes 6 ore, 6 flux, and 6 fuel to produce 6 steel bars.  The magma blast furnace takes....  6 ore, 6 flux, and 6 fuel to produce 6 steel bars.  Am I missing something?
6 coal, not fuel. It still requires an additional fuel for a normal blast furnace (and magma for magma blast furnace).

Embarking and World Gen - I tend to produce high-volcanism worlds, yet no matter what worlds I produce, Dusk Elves die out, even at year 100.  Is there a way to save them?
They are usually okay for me. maybe I should increase their biome settings a little. On Genesis (medium) they almost always survive.

I tend to embark in untamed wildernesses, in regions where every hostile race (red lines and all) appear on the embark screen, yet, I haven't seen anything beyond kobolds on any embarks, no matter the number of dwarves, wealth, or years in. 
All hostile civs but werewolves require you to reach some level in population, production or trade. Illithids come at level 5 which is equal to the maximum level of fortress (maximum by numbers, everything higher is considered the same); I think lvl5 wealth is 300'000 but it could change in the last version or I may be wrong. Just trade more and get more dwarves. Also make sure that when you embark there's an access to other civs (including hostile); they should be listed on the "neighbours" screen in the embark mode.

Oddly, other than one embark on a river where I got some fish, and another where I got some random birds (ravens, I think), the majority of my embarks are devoid of life - forests, plains, tropical - untamed wilderness, Joyous Wilds - Not a single animal comes onto my screen.  What could be happening here?
You mean the whole time? You can start without animals but with time they should travel through your location. Every region on map has a set amount of critters, and their frequency parameter determines how often can they enter your map. It's partially a random luck, and partially a world generation result.

Also I think I haven't added SAVAGE critters so savage biomes (like untamed wilds) may look lifeless in comparison to common biomes. I will work on it, thanks.

TomiTapio: Thank you. I honestly don't know what would I do without you, more than 70% of tweaks and fixes come from your feedback :D.

Hey, managed to roll a world to year 1050 without crashing!
I think all the crashes were related to wrong caste definitions on 3 critters which are fixed now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:25:42 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: August 27, 2010, 08:29:21 am »

to my stuffs
? What you are cooking, Sir?
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: August 27, 2010, 08:31:24 am »

I think TomiTapio has his own version, with goblins instead of demonic nation and probably with many other tweaks. I wouldn't mind to see it released, and I don't know why haven't I asked about that before :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2766 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:26 am »

Yea I have only goblin & barghest in the evil slot, and nerfed weres (owie 40 toughmaterial "grizzly bears" was were siege), and removed illithid tadpoles-as-invaders and outpost-minds as invaders.
Little fine tuning like "huh, four lost adventurers in one group, nerf that, they're more danger than a dragon"

Creatures that I have: demon cat (good for adventurer, easy to defeat, ever hear of having a cat problem?), big and small penguin (today), and "bronze statue" not-yet-encountered mini bronze colossus.

Had some weapon tuning of my own but now I'll have some forts to test Deon's weapons. Finally can have sword forced in uniform, without it being cheating.
Right, reduced some STEP coverage extension from robe and cloak. And my dwarves dont have mittens or socks, to reduce clutter.
I still want to figure out how to get armor to protect the male bits.

ps. I have changed the Ironhand tile set too, use older Ironhand's font, have "дц" letters required by the Finnish language.

Aye I can put my current raws and worldgen up, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Tomis%20Genesis%203.12%20raw.zip
I almost always worldgen with medium region or large region, so those have had attention from me.
the ironhandNew_TT4 is a little hard to install, drag file over and command it in init.txt eg.
Code: [Select]
[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1530]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:1120]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:ironhandNew_TT4.png] 18x18
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:ironhandNew_TT4.png] 18x18
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]
I love my 1920x1200 px monitor.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:00:50 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:19 am »

and removed illithid tadpoles-as-invaders and outpost-minds as invaders.
I removed tadpoles too, I forgot to mention that.

I love new sunflower graphics in the custom tileset I use in 3.1.

About weapons:
* current stats are:

= Daggers: stabbing only; small but good enough to pierce organs
= Swords : stabbing and slashing, good for mangling organs and chopping off bodyparts
= Axes    : chopping only; good for chopping off bodyparts (better than swords but no stabbing)
= Spears : stabbing only; good for damaging organs.

"huh, four lost adventurers in one group, nerf that, they're more danger than a dragon"
Just use squads with dwarves immune to syndromes against those. Dragons are much tougher now with NOEXERT; they can kill up to 10 iron-equipped trained dwarves.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:02 am »

I just had an ettin come visit me.  I have no military to speak of, but I did have 2 war dogs and a fresh wave of immigrants!  10 of them recruited I now have 5 dead Elite Wrestlers and 5 more Wrestlers or Elite Wrestlers. xD
Diggy diggy hole.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.1 ϟ] - a GrandFix
« Reply #2769 on: August 27, 2010, 10:48:08 am »

Also, anyone can contribute to df-genesis.wikidot.com.

I've never been around to build a wiki from scratch, but I'll do what I can!

Also, I hope the patch includes the world gen scripts. Ill download it and find out a moment :)

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: August 27, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

Deon, I am hoping to be able to make a valuable contribution to your mod.

My research seems to indicate that "rock crystal" is just a descriptive term and no real mineral.  Crystal glass is leaded glass.  Historically when crystal glass was mass produced the glass makers worked closely with metal workers to have access to their lead leftovers.  I decided to add to my own little tiny insignificant mod a reaction that would take lead and sand and make rock crystal.  I've also included a reaction to make raw crystal glass since that is what the furniture shop uses...I think.

FYI:  I stole borrowed the Crystal Furnace from the Civilization Forge Mod for my mod.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...of course, I don't play my mod any more, I just shoe-horned my entity into Genesis - it's a lot less work!!

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

... a reaction that would take lead and sand and make rock crystal.

Suddenly lead is as valuable as gold :P

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: August 27, 2010, 03:53:22 pm »

... a reaction that would take lead and sand and make rock crystal.

Suddenly lead is as valuable as gold :P

Actually, I love making stuff out of crystal glass.   I'd also like to see a lead-to-gold alchemical reaction.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: August 27, 2010, 05:17:09 pm »

Actually, I love making stuff out of crystal glass.

I totally agree. Glass is probably my favorite thing to build projects out of for some reason. However clear and crystal glass seems nigh fucking impossible to produce in the volume I need.

Without glass, how can your dwarves have windows? And mirrors? MAYBE THE REASON THEY'RE COVERED IN VOMIT IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A MIRROR TO CLEAN IN FRONT OF.

Goddamn! It all makes sense!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: August 27, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »

Actually, I love making stuff out of crystal glass.

I totally agree. Glass is probably my favorite thing to build projects out of for some reason. However clear and crystal glass seems nigh fucking impossible to produce in the volume I need.

Without glass, how can your dwarves have windows? And mirrors? MAYBE THE REASON THEY'RE COVERED IN VOMIT IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A MIRROR TO CLEAN IN FRONT OF.

Goddamn! It all makes sense!

Actually, now they're covered in vomit because you didn't give them soap. Or perhaps a well.
But I agree about the glass.

Also, in the last release, I included a reaction to turn "straw" into Gold Thread (gold couldn't normally be made into a thread, just with this reaction. I also included one to make Thatch). Small chance of creating demonic-vermin, though. The Poisonous Rumplestiltskin. I wish the DF2010 releases allowed for vermin-creation.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 642