Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229347 times)

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it me ore is the material_template_default in 2.99b missing some REACTION_CLASS?  I tried to dismantle some wood beds and got the message I had no beds.  I looked at the reaction and didn't see anything obvious so I searched the forums and found that WOOD_TEMPLATE needed to have REACTION_CLASS:REFINE_WOOD.  After adding the reaction class I was able to dismantle wood beds.

I just now went to cremate some body parts and it didn't work.  I looked at the reaction and it had [REACTION_CLASS:CREMATION], searched the modding forums and found the original crematorium post and it says some templates in material_template_default need to have that reaction on them.

Am I wrong?

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah once i DLed the mod and read the manual it answered alot of the questions--does it tweak the amount of metals available? Vanilla .12 has a shitton of resources so i always assumed the posts were old. I love the idea of training workshops but the black lung mod and lead poisoning scares me as my miners are usually my best dwarves haha.

Why is there a FPS hit? i kept hearing about it but i was always left wondering why.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Okay, I was away for a few days working in a village so I couldn't answer at once :).

I will come up with a table of metal values for people who are lost here, give me some time. Dragonbone is not as good as steel but it should be better than iron or bronze, but I must check it, it's been a while.

Thank you for the finnish language, Tomi, it's a lot of cool job.

MiamiBryce: yes, it's my bug. When vanilla combat became better (weapons started to kill people, hearts/throats started to bleed etc.) I reverted some of major changes to materials by giving them vanilla/close to vanilla values, but I forgot to add REACTION_CLASS:REFINE_WOOD to the wood template. Thank you for finding it, I will update it. Right now you can do it for your save without world regeneration.

Arghy: FPS hit comes mostly from many attackers. In vanilla DF you have "quiet" seasons and sometimes goblin stop coming at all. Here you have a few races to siege you and some (werewolves) do it non-stop from the beginning so with more hostile creatures DF has to calculate more movement.

There's no blacklung, it's a myth from the past which no longer terrifies miners :P.

Thank you very much for all the info and answers you give here, TomiTapio.

I plan to update Genesis to 3.0 soon (with orcs instead of osmans and a name change for wesmans, also I want to use finnish language Tomi gave me, I guess you want it for nords, right?) so expect an update in a few days.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah k sweet lots of enemys lagging you just means you need to kill the faster.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry to repost but my question hasn't been answered yet, I can't build swimming pools properly, the mason seems to always get trapped and I can't work out how to place them right.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

There's an exit which is not blocked, look for it when you place the pool. Dark tiles are those which are "occupied" and block movement (in the same way as dark tiles for common workshops) so place it properly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi.

I've been playing Dwarffortress since March 2010. I'm not that experianced, and I am still learning.
I haven't really had a successful fortress yet, although the one I currently play on have walls and a decent working military troop, sometimes I get small errors. I've got traps up, although mostly stone-fall traps.
I still haven't touched Clothing or Cheese making. I have a hospital up but I don't know if it works yet. I just recently discovered the beauty with magma forges and smelters.
Glass is unknown to me, and Soap I've failed to make.
At the trade screen I often don't know what to trade, since I don't really know whats good yet.

Would this Mod be good for me?
Will I get anything out of this mod more than headache?
I don't really feel that the vanilla DF is boring, just that when I read about this mod, it seems alot of fun. And I like the features.
But maybe I should get good at vanila before jumping in on this, as it seems abit more complicated.

And also, how is it with Dwarftherapist (a must!) or Tilesets (also a must).
Cheers!
Keep up the good work!.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This mod would be best to wait on at least for a small bit....it makes metal making more complicated and it adds a lot of variety that also complicates things.

Dwarf therapist helps manage your fort a lot better then the in game menus....check out the newb pack...it should give you all you need to play with whatever as well as having links to tutorial vids in the post

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This mod would be best to wait on at least for a small bit....it makes metal making more complicated and it adds a lot of variety that also complicates things.

Dwarf therapist helps manage your fort a lot better then the in game menus....check out the newb pack...it should give you all you need to play with whatever as well as having links to tutorial vids in the post

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

Okey, thanks.

And I think you missunderstood. I wonder if Therapist works with this mod and if tilesets does aswell :)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Misunderstand I did....and yes therapist works just fine....as for tileset....this mod has a good mix of tilesets and its made to cover all the stuff in game it can...you can try and change the tileset though

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Tilesets are things which you set up manually (or they are set up for a mod).

This mod has a graphic tileset  and all creatures have graphics.

Also therapist works well because only the base DF version matters.

I am not sure if you want to "wait" with it or not, it's your personal matter. This mod is harder because it has more enemies and they siege earlier, also there're some complications like more complex steelmaking but nothing you can't deal with. So you have to decide by yourself :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not sure if you want to "wait" with it or not, it's your personal matter. This mod is harder because it has more enemies and they siege earlier, also there're some complications like more complex steelmaking but nothing you can't deal with. So you have to decide by yourself :).

I hadn't played fortress mode in a couple years and I jumped straight into this... I don't think the steelmaking is any harder (maybe because I read the manual, it really makes the new workshops easy to use! I wish I could find a spreadsheet like that for all the vanilla workshops... I still struggle to make soap, haha)

Maybe the fact that you have 4 times the number of sieging enemies makes it a little harder, but really I find the game more difficult in general now that your soldiers don't use the IDDQD cheat after 3 months of beating each other up.

The only things that have set me back are the new military system, which I stuffed up so badly the first time that really, I would have lost that fort in vanilla mode anyway, and now a bug (I don't think it's related to this mod) that for some reason my dwarves refuse to move mechanisms around the place (unless I set them to be dumped and them unforbid them... ugh)

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply, from the way it looked I thought it might have t be on the layer below, evidently not though.
One other thing too: how do you start a gateball match? The workshop shows no reactions.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:50:11 am by Samohan25 »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

I have an idea for a decorative workshop:
Laundry Room.
may cause loss of socks.

Built out of barrel, barrel, bucket, soap, cloth. Maybe wood or stone too, for a clothes-drying rack.
Maybe: uses up soap and gives Concentration skill or Student skill.

Soap workshop takes lye (made from ash) and animal tallow to make soap. One can easily embark with a few units of lye.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Soap

One other thing too: how do you start a gateball match? The workshop shows no reactions.
You can't, it's not in Genesis, and there's no multi-dwarf workshop actions possible. Maybe throwing practice for a single dwarf.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:54:41 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If clothes can be stained in the future this could be a good idea, is there any way to implement new happy thoughts? Like 'washed his clothes recently'?
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 642