Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229682 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any sort of guide explaining what all the new buildings and stuff do?

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if they had that black lung effect they probably would have trouble making the equipment.

Well that's the idea. I can imagine some Orc taskmaster in a dark fortress whipping slaves to mine the toxic ore and refine it into armour and weapons.

..No I mean, it would not be possible to make armor out of it. Inorganic syndromes work by the item turning instantly into gas.. so you have the rock which falls out of the wall, and then the rock explodes in a puff of dust, giving the syndrome..
Simply put, unless you had coal, and then a dummy "coal" which would only spawn inside or real coal, it would be impossible.

Well the flavor would still be the same at least.

To everyone who isn't using Moss and Steel Dwarves exclusively in the military, here's another reason. Those Forgotten Beasts that use dust? They completely ignore that. My starting ice dwarf commander is in sickbay with all his skin rotting off right now, everyone else is back to drilling and sparring.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Is there any sort of guide explaining what all the new buildings and stuff do?
The manual does that.

Prepaid Lenin: The only way to make an exploding stone coming out when an armor is made is to make it through a reaction. And as you know, reactions with armor do not really work yet,  thus it can't be done yet.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as I love Fun, forest spiders seem kind of excessive. I frequently meet them in groups of two or three. So I am constantly webbed, sometimes before I can take a single move. Once one shoots webs I am dead, steel dwarf in wrought iron armour or not.

Perhaps if they were always alone? As far as I know, spiders are pretty solitary creatures anyway.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yep, I thought about that. But they live in evil forests though, and I wanted to make evil areas deadly :).

P.S. It's possible to kill them if you quickly run away and shoot at them, they are not that fast and they don't spit webs from distance.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as I love Fun, forest spiders seem kind of excessive. I frequently meet them in groups of two or three. So I am constantly webbed, sometimes before I can take a single move. Once one shoots webs I am dead, steel dwarf in wrought iron armour or not.

Perhaps if they were always alone? As far as I know, spiders are pretty solitary creatures anyway.

Forest spiders at least are worth a lot (2.5k the cage) and you can breed them and do other cool stuff (I have 20 or so in cages). Now skeletal elk, those can take out my legendary dwarves, they're ridiculous. I've given up with being outside anyway in my ultra-evil forest. It seems like the only harmless creatures I see are pigeons every so often, but more often than not it's full of skeletal raptors, dire wolves and the terrifying skeletal elk.

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have 2 female forest spiders and a male. Just sit back and wait for my monster horde.  8)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile

I just have a question:Will crucible steel floodgates resist magma?and will a crucible steel door block magma too?and are there any hidden nasties in magma?

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

P.S. It's possible to kill them if you quickly run away and shoot at them, they are not that fast and they don't spit webs from distance.

Hmm, I usually don't notice forest spiders for a couple of steps after being taken into the local map. I just see a bunch of trees and think "Hmm, I don't see any raptors or bears or giant ants..." move around a bit, thinking they're behind trees where I can't see and BAM! webbed. Last time that happened some raptors came along too so it was basically me against 3 forest spiders and 3 raptors... not good odds, but I got lucky and managed to kill enough of them by my next webbing to survive the whole thing with my right ear missing and a bad-ass scar on my left cheek, a bad-ass scar on my right leg, and other scars on my upper/lower body and arms.

I like that you can get jumped by nasty stuff like this that isn't just something lame like instant-death-due-to-melting from wyvern breath with temperature on, though. It makes the game interesting and makes you a little more cautious about deciding to travel through that otherwise harmless forest :)

Oh yeah! After I tried Vherkin's changes to the illithds/goblins, I also tried setting nords and osman starting group sizes to 15 or 20 from 10. I found that this helped to make sure some of their civs survived the first century... I ended up with a world which had every civilization survive except the Dusk elves! Forgot to also bump their group size up as well, whoops.

But basically my point is, with... 11? different civs, there's always one or two that don't survive until the year 1050, and increasing starting group size seems to help with survival without upsetting the balance too much.

Edit 2: Well, my world for the 2.99 version has finally finished generating, and all the civs are alive at 1050. Maybe this isn't really necessary after all?
Edit 3: My dwarf's civ capital is an elven forest retreat. Something tells me this could be a very Interesting world :)

Edit: I forgot to point out, that wrought iron's pretty crappy, as far as weapons and armour go. Steel, or better yet, crucible steel, is the dwarven/adventurer way!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:16:15 am by Nat »

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just have a question:Will crucible steel floodgates resist magma?and will a crucible steel door block magma too?and are there any hidden nasties in magma?

Since crucible steel is just slightly better normal steel, I'm assuming it has the same magma-safe properties, though I didn't get to test it yet, as I embarked on the wrong site for the ore you need for crucible steel...

Erk, I just found some forgotten beast extract in the bottom of one of my desk drawers, and accidentally got some on myself when cleaning it. I hope it doesn't cause necrosis.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I'm sorry to make 3 posts in a row, but I've just noticed, on the adventurer screen, when picking your specific caste from the Demon civ,
Bile demons can only be male
vampires can only be female
trollkin can only be male
warlocks can only be male (Makes sense I suppose, because a female warlock would be a witch and those were heroes in DK1)
imps can only be female
dark elves can only be female (I guess this makes sense because it was a female model in DK2)
and mistresses can only be female (this makes sense, obviously)

I'm not sure if all of these were intentional.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

Is this compatible with dfhack? I wanna be able to use the dig vein tool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I am pretty sure that DFHack depends on dwarffort.exe which is not changed in any way. It's just a raw change. Other utilities work just fine.

Nat: These are intentional. It's 3 male to 4 female ratio (not considering goblins). Basically I wanted rare castes to be diverse in gender to have interesting marriages. And yeah they are basically based on DKII critters. I thought about making imps genderless but then I randomly picked a gender I guess. Just imagine a bile demon and a tiny imp as lovers. Lol.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I've just realised I have a problem. I included a wrong version of goblin tileset... Thus they lack all profession icons.
I will reupload 2.99b shortly :>.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am pretty sure that DFHack depends on dwarffort.exe which is not changed in any way. It's just a raw change. Other utilities work just fine.

Nat: These are intentional. It's 3 male to 4 female ratio (not considering goblins). Basically I wanted rare castes to be diverse in gender to have interesting marriages. And yeah they are basically based on DKII critters. I thought about making imps genderless but then I randomly picked a gender I guess. Just imagine a bile demon and a tiny imp as lovers. Lol.

Ahahahaha, ok, that makes sense.

Will I need to do anything other than change the tilesets from 2.99 to 2.99b? It takes 2 hours to gen a world... I need time to actually play!
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 642