Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229972 times)

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 2.97 ϟ] - glass beds and bars
« Reply #2145 on: July 24, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »

I will look into it later. Currently you lose 1 level per year, so it's not a big deal. And it was like that all the time and nobody complained.

More like nobody noticed since you didn't have the [RUSTY] next to it. However toady seems to have stated that at the first stage just doing one item will make it go away. So I'll have to test to see if it actually is an issue or isn't. Don't worry about it and release soon, I need a new fort with proper illithid and insectoids :P.

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: July 24, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »

I eliminated skill rust with a raw edit. It's annoying going in a making little changes, but not that annoying. :)

Have you considered Ogres as a civilization? Low population but stats good enough to trouble even legendary warriors and no pain? And you could have another caste of little squishy allies to run about their feet and die horribly and hilariously.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 24, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »

Maybe could have a Giant Emu or Giant Ostrich, with a serious clawed kick. "Giant" version in fantasy world could be 2x or 3x size compared the real world.

Wikipedia, Emu: The largest can reach up to 150 to 190 centimetres (59–75 in) in height, 1 to 1.3 metres (3.3–4.3 ft) at the shoulder. Emus weigh between 18 and 48 kilograms (40 and 106 lb).
Ostriches usually weigh from 63 to 130 kilograms (140–290 lb), with exceptional male Ostriches weighing up to 155 kilograms (340 lb).

If you're thinking of an Emu or Ostrich, why not go for a Giant Cassowary? I mean, they're already about the most dangerous animal in Australia when normal-sized...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2148 on: July 24, 2010, 08:04:48 pm »

Yep, wildlife in fortress mode is very easy to frighten. In adv. mode they go straight after you while in fort. mode they run around. This is some DF weird behaviour.

I just had an alligator faint of pain from hunter's quality wrought iron bolt to a joint. Hmm. I'll put NOPAIN to crocs & gators.
Maybe... NOFEAR would help with fort mode wildlife??

I have fort mode announcements telling "x looks sick" and "x gives into pain" combat lines.

Edit: Rhino fainted from steel bolt to the tail & tail's bone. So I give it NOPAIN.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:28:53 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 25, 2010, 01:50:13 am »

NOPAIN is too strong IMHO. It will allow them to go on without legs and eyes without noticing it.

Rhino may be okay, but alligators are definitely pain-sensitive.

And I consider this method ("I saw this fainted from pain so I give it NOPAIN") to be flawed. It's a totally random behavior based on personality stats thus you cannot consider single occasions as a rule. For example a dwarf can faint from a cut toe. Would you put NOPAIN on dwarves for this too?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:52:14 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: July 25, 2010, 05:03:32 am »

Would NOFEAR keep them from running? If so give all the big thingies NOFEAR (elephant, giant ant, etc...) or it's a bit lame.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2151 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:25 am »

NOPAIN is too strong IMHO. It will allow them to go on without legs and eyes without noticing it. Rhino may be okay, but alligators are definitely pain-sensitive.

And I consider this method ("I saw this fainted from pain so I give it NOPAIN") to be flawed. It's a totally random behavior based on personality stats thus you cannot consider single occasions as a rule. For example a dwarf can faint from a cut toe. Would you put NOPAIN on dwarves for this too?
Real-world gators and cave-carp eating fortress gators may be different. I upgraded the Swamp Troll too; do they regenerate in DF or not, probably not.
Toady has obviously optimized the system for dwarves. I don't think gators have personality stats. The "pain receptors" (in bones and joints) setting may be a little too high for monsters and tough wildlife if it's tuned for elf-fearing dwarves.

It's clearly a problem for me if the highly dangerous wildlife takes a fainting spell from first arrow/bolt, so I fix it for my worlds, and tell it to you Genesis users.

Edit: bones have [PAIN_RECEPTORS:50] while skin and muscle have 5 and fat tissue 1. Eye only 5, hmm. Tweak tweak.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:20:33 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: July 25, 2010, 11:49:03 am »

It's true. Bones have bone marrow and a lot of nerves. Fat has not so many nerves, and eyes while have a lot of photoreceptors do not cause a lot of pain too in comparison to other parts. What do you mean by "tweak tweak"?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 2.98 ϟ] - werewolves!
« Reply #2153 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »

- 2.98: new df version; illithids are fixed so they take over the world normally; a new semimegabeast (thunderbird); a new enemy: werewolves' civ which sieges immediately; a few new prefstrings and a new reaction (a wooden millstone).

It was a bit unexpected so I don't have a lot of time on my hands right now.  Sorry, no Phoebus tileset yet, wait a bit more.

It's my current development version updated to .12, so illithids are fixed and you get werewolves. No bug people yet because they are WIP.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: July 25, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »

- 2.98: new df version; illithids are fixed so they take over the world normally; a new semimegabeast (thunderbird); a new enemy: werewolves' civ which sieges immediately; a few new prefstrings and a new reaction (a wooden millstone).

You change the tileset? Or did I never upgrade it properly? It seems very similar, but much darker and font seems to have an aura around it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: July 25, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »

It was like that for a few versions already :). I also plan to replace "[" with bags of something, it's from Ironhand's tileset, it would make the fortress to be full of sacks instead of "[". It may look good, at least I like it. You don't see "[" too often in the text, and a fortress full of sacks with random items looks better than full of "[" :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: July 26, 2010, 04:51:58 am »

what do you mean by sieges immediately?

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 26, 2010, 04:53:17 am »

what do you mean by sieges immediately?

As early as goblin babysnatchers, e.g the first summer of your fort.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:45 am »

I'm getting crashes in worldgen using the LARGE REGION preset settings, roughly 20 years into history. I haven't tried to track down exactly what it is yet, but common sense would say that it's either the werewolf or illithid civs doing something strange that DF doesn't like.

I'll work on sorting this out for myself in a few hours when I have the time, but I thought I should bring this up anyway in case others are having the same problem.

Edit: Genesis version 2.98, I haven't done anything after downloading except for changing temperature, weather and economy to no, sound off, pop cap 50, and having water as numbers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:31:09 am by Nat »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: July 26, 2010, 05:45:11 am »

I'm getting crashes in worldgen using the LARGE REGION preset settings, roughly 20 years into history. I haven't tried to track down exactly what it is yet, but common sense would say that it's either the werewolf or illithid civs doing something strange that DF doesn't like.

I'll work on sorting this out for myself in a few hours when I have the time, but I thought I should bring this up anyway in case others are having the same problem.

Edit: Genesis version 2.98, I haven't done anything after downloading except for changing temperature, weather and economy to no, sound off, pop cap 50, and having water as numbers.
Are you getting a message upon crash? Or is it just freezing up?
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 642