Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1231546 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 1.73 ϟ] - psychiatrists!
« Reply #1020 on: May 16, 2010, 07:32:32 am »

Sure thing! :)

But I've got another gripe, lol: I just generated a new world, found my perfect spot to embark, set out...

...and realized all my dorfs are not in fact dorfs but goblins. :o I haven't altered any of the raws (except a few of the creature raws, none of the races -- just canines, felines, etc, to make them pettable or trainable where they weren't already), and your mod is currently the only one I'm running on this particular game, so... uh...

Help? ):
You've made some error copying files. Just in case, empty your /raw/objects folder next time. Maybe you had files from some different mod or somethng else.

Hey deon how do you think the plague would fit into genesis mod?
It will fit very nice once diseases start to spread between creatures. Right now you cannot catch a disease from a diseased creature.

Hey deon is it possible to make certain weapons available after a time period is over [like making matchlock guns appear after the age of myth]
There's no such option.

The only way I can think of is to make a looong production chain which would involve some research building and make "Science Tome I"->...->"Science Tome XX" objects (i.e. toys) which are transformed from one to another using some rare materials. It's not perfect though, because some dwarf may claim it and you will have to kill him to get it back :).

Anyway, with this Science Tome you should be able to add reactions which require it but do not use it, so when the reaction is done, it's still there so you can use it again/upgrade it further.

It may be an interesting idea to develop.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:34:11 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 16, 2010, 08:19:14 am »

There's no such option.

The only way I can think of is to make a looong production chain which would involve some research building and make "Science Tome I"->...->"Science Tome XX" objects (i.e. toys) which are transformed from one to another using some rare materials. It's not perfect though, because some dwarf may claim it and you will have to kill him to get it back :).

Anyway, with this Science Tome you should be able to add reactions which require it but do not use it, so when the reaction is done, it's still there so you can use it again/upgrade it further.

I tried to explain the same idea in the Kobold Camp thread. Could set up custom buildings to require a certain reagent in tiers. Kinda like the anvil cast custom building someone posted. Make that building to get an anvil... now you have access to forge! Make forge to get gunpowder or something... now you get access to gunsmithy! :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 16, 2010, 08:31:48 am »

I've played around more and I have a few important questions:

1) Has anybody ever seen a single trading wagon? If there're no wagons I will have to make animals to carry more again, otherwise you won't be able to order stones and anvils on maps with no stones.

2) Does arsenal dwarf issue orders correctly? I just ask it because I had problems with making dwarves to equip stuff, so my military equipped their gear from time to time but not always. With arsenal dwarf it seemed to be better... At least they took their quivers. If arsenal dwarf's orders make procastinating go away, I may need to assign a quartermaster noble from the start.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 16, 2010, 08:32:46 am »

There's no such option.

I tried to explain the same idea in the Kobold Camp thread. Could set up custom buildings to require a certain reagent in tiers. Kinda like the anvil cast custom building someone posted. Make that building to get an anvil... now you have access to forge! Make forge to get gunpowder or something... now you get access to gunsmithy! :P

now you have a gunsmithy you can make shotguns! with a pointlessly FUN damage. rating
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:47 am »

That's.. brilliant!  It certainly wouldn't work in the manner dracogriffin was requesting, but its a fascinating concept nonetheless.  You could also require the long production chain item to create the custom workshop, couldn't you?  I must chew on this idea for a while...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27:17 am »

I've played around more and I have a few important questions:

1) Has anybody ever seen a single trading wagon? If there're no wagons I will have to make animals to carry more again, otherwise you won't be able to order stones and anvils on maps with no stones.

2) Does arsenal dwarf issue orders correctly? I just ask it because I had problems with making dwarves to equip stuff, so my military equipped their gear from time to time but not always. With arsenal dwarf it seemed to be better... At least they took their quivers. If arsenal dwarf's orders make procastinating go away, I may need to assign a quartermaster noble from the start.
Sorry for quoting myself, I never do it, but I would like this question to be answered by as many people as possible. I am afraid of current bugs and I try to do the best I can do here. Without military Genesis is quite hard to play.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 16, 2010, 09:49:15 am »

I've played about 6 forts into the 5th year or farther(vanilla with my own little tweaks).  In that time, ONCE the humans brought a wagon.  I was so excited!  The following year, they did not bring a wagon.  I died a little, inside. 

The arsenal dwarf works.... but there's issues.  I've gotten used to the quirks, so I know what to do and what not to to make the system "work." 

1) Never ever ever ever assign dwarves a "class" of weapons.  Always use the 'assign specific weapon' option.  This is a giant pain in the ass, but it prevents dwarves from carrying around 8 different weapons.  Classes of armor is fine, just not weapons.

2) Unless you are using the 'replace clothing' option, NEVER assign clothing as part of a uniform.  This sometimes causes dwarves to drive themselves insane trying to put on mutiple pieces of mutually exclusive clothing. 

3) If you do use the replace clothing option, its ok to put clothing in the uniform.  But when dwarves go off duty, they will sometimes drop all their clothes on the ground in a pile and strut around naked for no apparent reason.  This can be kind of annnoying, as it creates tons of extra hauling jobs. 

4) If you need your military in action RIGHT NOW, make sure you halt all production of weapons and armor.  There's a bug where every time a piece of armor is created that's eligble for the uniform, 90% of the militia will run over to a stockpile, drop a piece of armor and pick it up again.  This also happens with weapons if you don't use 'assign specific weapon.'

5) If you need your military in action RIGHT NOW, try to occupy your arsenal dwarf in some way so he doesn't give equipment upgrades in the middle of a fight.  This can be...FUN.

6) always use the 'Exact Match' equipment option.  This prevents militia from being assign items that do not belong to you, and helps reduce the amount of mid fight scrabbling for equipment that happens further.

Unrelated to arsenal dwarf:
6) Never ever ever put your military in the "Training" alert level.  It doesn't work right, and the dwarves get "stuck" and won't do anything.  To train your dwarves, remove all their jobs, leave them "inactive" and assign them a training barracks.  When they have nothing better to do, they'll go do Individual Combat Training in the barracks.  Some dwarves are apparently lazy, and won't ever train in this way, but for 95% of them, this'll work fine. 

All that being said, it can take the arsenal dwarf quite a while to hand out all the assignments.  When your military starts getting really large, it becomes almost a full time job for him.  I think in a tiny fort with 30 or less dwarfs, its probably faster to let the dwarves get their own stuff. 

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:55 am »

So far I have never seen a wagon beyond the starting one (which doesn't count). Did you check what the draft animals were, derigo?

I can second derigo's observation that arsenal dwarves sort of work. An added problem is that miners and woodcutters apparently don't consider their own weapons as usable weapons. They'll happily use these weapons if drafted near an attackable creature, but that's it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 16, 2010, 10:23:45 am »

These are good observations, thank you.

What do you think if I remove Arsenal Dwarf alltogether? I think it may help the gameplay a lot.

Never ever ever put your military in the "Training" alert level.
That's why I've added training dummies. Some people may not know about it, and there's a very nasty bug that happens if you interrupt a training session: dwarves will go into "no job" state forever.

So I think I will up the amount animals can carry. But what about the removal of Arsenal Dwarf?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 16, 2010, 10:35:50 am »

I find that I'm always surprised at how fast the military gets equipped when I have an arsenal dwarf.  I see individuals going and getting equipment, but it almost seems like half the equipment teleports onto them.  I have no idea what would happen if you removed him altogether.  It might not even work, for all I know.

Did you check what the draft animals were, derigo?

No, this was my 2nd fortress in *.01, I didn't know wagons were all but nonexistant yet, I just thought they were rare.  Since that game, I've added the WAGON_PULLER tag too all the pack animals, and given them all carrying capacities.  No useful effect.  Adding carrying capacities does NOT change how much stuff the caravans bring (thats dependant on how much they like you, and how big a civilization they are), it just affects how many animals it takes to carry all that stuff. 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 16, 2010, 10:57:00 am »

It does effect their stuff though. I mean it sets the minimal limit, so they won't be able to bring heavier stuff and bigger pets with a low capacity.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:58 am »

ah true.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 16, 2010, 12:02:25 pm »

Hey, deon. Do you have any icons for tiger men?
I really need it, because all I have are different colored T's right now.
EDIT:For now, I'll just use humans.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:09:45 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 16, 2010, 12:17:01 pm »

Hmm, did I forget to make tigermen to have icons? I will fix it :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »

I've done some experimenting trying to figure out the bug that makes artifact items into dark lignite.  Right now wood, bone, and shell based artifacts turn into dark lignite in my games.  They are lost imediately, and the creator of the artifact gets blacklung disease.  It seems that the game looks for the first inorganic file in alphabetical order.  Then the game selects the first material in that list.  So you could set up a dummy material that is not used anywhere else in a file named inorganic_artifact.txt, and until Toady fixes the bug in the main game, we wouldn't have exploding artifacts.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 642