Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230546 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

Deon, there appears to be something in Genesis that doesn't play well with the Mac version of DF. I've just now tried replacing the vanilla "objects" folder with the Genesis ASCII version "objects" folder on various computers. Arch GNU/Linux native DF, Windows DF through WINE in Arch, Windows DF through WINE on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 DF all work perfectly. However, the Mac version crashes with what appears to be a memory leak.
Code: [Select]
2011-12-17 22:26:01.390 dwarfort.exe[506:5403] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1c68b040 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leakingI suspect this is an issue with the mod rather than DF itself, because an older version of Genesis (I don't recall which one specifically) worked on Mac-native DF 31.25. Maybe Genesis has gotten so big that the Mac version of DF fails to load it correctly, maybe because it has less ability to do so than the other OS native versions or something along those lines?

Re: named enemies. Can't you add the babysnatcher tag as well as CAN_SPEAK and still have names and auto-hostility, like the goblins?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance for named (or even speaking) yet auto-hostile beastmen and centaurs in the new release?
You can add CAN_SPEAK to them AFTER the world is generated. It will keep the war status but give them names (won't help historical figures though).

Tried that, they became peaceful when I added it and only re-started the attacks when I removed it :(
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Any chance for named (or even speaking) yet auto-hostile beastmen and centaurs in the new release?
You can add CAN_SPEAK to them AFTER the world is generated. It will keep the war status but give them names (won't help historical figures though).

Tried that, they became peaceful when I added it and only re-started the attacks when I removed it :(
Well, it worked a few versions back! So now it's "fixed", damn it.

Deon, there appears to be something in Genesis that doesn't play well with the Mac version of DF. I've just now tried replacing the vanilla "objects" folder with the Genesis ASCII version "objects" folder on various computers. Arch GNU/Linux native DF, Windows DF through WINE in Arch, Windows DF through WINE on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 DF all work perfectly. However, the Mac version crashes with what appears to be a memory leak.
2011-12-17 22:26:01.390 dwarfort.exe[506:5403] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1c68b040 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leakingI suspect this is an issue with the mod rather than DF itself, because an older version of Genesis (I don't recall which one specifically) worked on Mac-native DF 31.25. Maybe Genesis has gotten so big that the Mac version of DF fails to load it correctly, maybe because it has less ability to do so than the other OS native versions or something along those lines?

Re: named enemies. Can't you add the babysnatcher tag as well as CAN_SPEAK and still have names and auto-hostility, like the goblins?
It would delay them significally. The current "hack" with the lack of speech makes them an earlier threat and that's their role. Thus they do not send small ambushes and wait for a long time before sending actual sieges.

It's really strange to hear, of course DF is big but if DF itself can parse the files, I don't see a reason why... Whatever, I don't know how Macs work :). And sadly I cannot test that, because I have no Mac.

Is there any Mac user who can play Genesis?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah i enjoy the beastmen and ambushes can be really annoying when they lag your fortress by taking their damn time to get into your entrance hall of death!

I wish there was a way to tell exactly what kind of flux stone there was because the lack of iron really cripples my fortresses, i'd rather have all the iron in the world and import rare metals then have to import iron/steel.

A dwarven sun forge would be pretty awesome to melt the low temperature melting metals!, requires a clear/crystal dwarven lens, has to be outside and can only melt the low temp metals. The better quality the glass lens the faster the process could take!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

-snip-

Is there any Mac user who can play Genesis?

I have tested Genesis on two Mac computers, both with the same operating system version and hardware, so I know that it's at least not a problem specific to how I have my OS set up. I think my neighbor has an Intel Mac lying around... I could give it a try on there and get back to you once I do so.

In addition, if you come up with an attempted fix, I'd be willing to test it.

EDIT: Tested on the neighbor's computer (mac osx 10.6.7), and it crashed in the same way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:10:39 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find the tileset of 25k2 very hard to comprehend, comparing to the previous versions'
especially for the low-grade gemstones and metal ores.
Hematite looks like blood-traced marble(facepalm

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a little oddity I've noticed in the embark, but when I went looking through the "meat" section while preparing things like "lungs" and organ meats show as being worth 0 dworfbucks, copper picks are 140 something, copper axes as 240 dworfbucks. Is this suppose to be like that or it there a fluke? Just curious.

I really do enjoy this mod and can't wait to see what comes next.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright i've noticed the kennels seem to be acting odd--i had a 'train war animal' stuck for 2 seasons with multiple war animals but nothing was happening. I thought it was maybe a few bugged animals so i built 4 kennels and now they all seem to be working prolly cycling through the bugged animal.

*Domple dwarf baron*: "Welcome to the fortress! ignore the red snow but notice not a single skull or bone gone to waste!"
*Immigrant father with 2 children*: "That tower is impressive! the one covered with an angry cloud of bees.... hey whats that over there?
*Immigrant son*: "OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?! ITS LIKE CTHULU COME! ITS GOT SUSIE! ITS TEARING HER LIMB FROM LIMB!"
*Domple dwarf baron*: "Yeah... thats a sea monster you gotta learn to run faster"
*Immigrant father with 1 child*: "OH MY GOD SU--ooh nice bridge"

Also dear god WHY CANT THEY INVENT SPAYING AND NEUTERING? the butcher shops are running non stop DIE REINDEER DIE!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Just a little oddity I've noticed in the embark, but when I went looking through the "meat" section while preparing things like "lungs" and organ meats show as being worth 0 dworfbucks, copper picks are 140 something, copper axes as 240 dworfbucks. Is this suppose to be like that or it there a fluke? Just curious.

I really do enjoy this mod and can't wait to see what comes next.
There was something like that in the raws of TomiTapio in the past, are you using that one?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do only dorfs with the right job activated do the reactions in the skill training workshops? Such as, "read diagnostics tomes" jobs will only be taken by dorfs with the Diagnosis job on?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Do only dorfs with the right job activated do the reactions in the skill training workshops? Such as, "read diagnostics tomes" jobs will only be taken by dorfs with the Diagnosis job on?
Yep!

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Downloaded the 3.25.k2 Ironhand version. I'm really not sure if that's got TomiTapio's raws or not.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How can i tweak rocktip arrows/bolts so they actually do cutting damage and will i have to restart for it to take affect? I just watched a lust demon with no armor on take over 200 bolts/arrows and block 70% of them while the other 30% just bruised him. Hes still alive soaking up bolts and arrows and giving my dwarves practice.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile

A golden goose just gave birth.......
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah in my current egg crisis gold geese are the only egg laying thing thats totally cool.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 642