Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230626 times)

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile

yea i just got a false positive too. ive dl'ed DFhack on its own before so maybe it has something to do with the combination of the files in the ASCII version. In other news, i love this mod even the deadly werewolve seiges that come along with it

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

What do I need to do to get the ASCII version working on the Mac and GNU/Linux versions of DF? I overwrote the raw and data folders in a vanilla install with their respective Genesis versions, but DF just crashes.

yea i just got a false positive too. ive dl'ed DFhack on its own before so maybe it has something to do with the combination of the files in the ASCII version.
As everyone else has said, this is indeed the case: ClamAV, my chosen AV, gets this too. It's because of DFhack's ability to modify the memory of running programs. No real threat.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:44:48 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goddamnit my love of deep drops into the unknown has made life hard! had to save scum cause i forgot to tell the miners to dig smart so he dug himself and half my mining team into the drop. Cant wait to drop invaders into the caverns below so they can sit there stunned before wandering off into the great dark under the world.

I just cant seem to wrap my head around the proper armor settups for gen since theres so much extra stuff--can someone post an armor settup that uses mail/BP/coifs? I'm running 1 BP 1 mail 1 coif 1 helm can i fit more into there or is it fine? Also i thought you could set materials for weapons? apparently i cant but i want to know if a masterful stone axe is a good weapon? i cant separate my wood cutters from my axe dwarves so i figure mass produce stone axes and melt all the axes for other weapons.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Goddamnit my love of deep drops into the unknown has made life hard! had to save scum cause i forgot to tell the miners to dig smart so he dug himself and half my mining team into the drop. Cant wait to drop invaders into the caverns below so they can sit there stunned before wandering off into the great dark under the world.

I just cant seem to wrap my head around the proper armor settups for gen since theres so much extra stuff--can someone post an armor settup that uses mail/BP/coifs? I'm running 1 BP 1 mail 1 coif 1 helm can i fit more into there or is it fine? Also i thought you could set materials for weapons? apparently i cant but i want to know if a masterful stone axe is a good weapon? i cant separate my wood cutters from my axe dwarves so i figure mass produce stone axes and melt all the axes for other weapons.
Stone weapons are NOT good :). They are only good if you don't have metals and you don't want to outfit your military with training weapons (LOL) or for a challenge. Their main problem is that they are dense but not sharp, so they break bones allright but cannot chop bodyparts off effectively.

And your armor setup is fine, but if you could trade for some lammellar armor from orcs, that thing is better (since it covers much more than a breastplate).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly are the differences between the new axes you have added to the game?
Which axes are the best overall and which are the worst, basically.
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to go back to the defaults? i want my dwarves to use the kite and tower shields i got from trade but i also cant get enough to equip everyone--will they switch to the available shield until they get a kite shield or will they go shieldless?

I'm just going to melt down all the damn axes and make mastercrafted axes for everyone.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to go back to the defaults? i want my dwarves to use the kite and tower shields i got from trade but i also cant get enough to equip everyone--will they switch to the available shield until they get a kite shield or will they go shieldless?

I'm just going to melt down all the damn axes and make mastercrafted axes for everyone.

Set Kite Shield and Partial matches in uniform settings.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly are the differences between the new axes you have added to the game?
Which axes are the best overall and which are the worst, basically.
Yeah an overview of the different weapon types would be nice, i normally just make a nice mix of weapons but i'd like to know what types to make.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

What do I need to do to get the ASCII version working on the Mac and GNU/Linux versions of DF? I overwrote the raw and data folders in a vanilla install with their respective Genesis versions, but DF just crashes.

After some additional testing, I've determined this much:
- The default ASCII version (for Windows) works fine through WINE, so it's not the raws. Maybe there's something wrong with Genesis' compatibility with the executable files for GNU/Linux and Mac OSX?
- I had an older version of Genesis applied to the Mac OSX version of DF 31.25, and in that one, I just replaced the vanilla objects folder (in DF->raw) with the objects folder from the ASCII version of Genesis. (doing this with the current version does not work)

I'm stumped. Any further ideas?

EDIT: Found "creature_night.txt.bak" in the raw/objects folder and deleted it (figured it's a duplicate or is unreadable), no luck. By the way, the error which DF gives when it crashes is:
Code: [Select]
2011-12-17 22:26:01.390 dwarfort.exe[506:5403] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1c68b040 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:27:22 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seen as no one seems to be answering my initial question, I am going to go spelunking in the RAWS to find some quantitive data, then do some arena tests... Just for axes tho.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Seen as no one seems to be answering my initial question, I am going to go spelunking in the RAWS to find some quantitive data, then do some arena tests... Just for axes tho.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IMO, Hand axes look better than battle axes for some reason.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TIME FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IMO, Hand axes look better than battle axes for some reason.

Hand axes have lower penetration and contact area, thus they are a "lite" version of battle axes.

You also forgot:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HALBERD]
[NAME:halberd:halberds]
[SIZE:1400]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:130000] 130kg to use one-handed.
[MINIMUM_SIZE:52500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
--nerfed somewhat.
[ATTACK:EDGE:6000:3000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1800] (hand axe has 5000 width)
[ATTACK:EDGE:30:3200:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000] --1200 depth seems puny.
[ATTACK:BLUNT:2000:250:bash:bashes:shaft:1300] --clumsy on purpose

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BARDICHE]
[NAME:bardiche:bardiches] aka poleaxe, no stab
[SIZE:1200]
[TWO_HANDED:80000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:26000:3260:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1400]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:23000:600:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:2000:250:bash:bashes:shaft:2000]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BEARDED]
[NAME:bearded axe:bearded axes]
[SIZE:900]
[SKILL:AXE]
[TWO_HANDED:67500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:3100:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:23000:600:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:100:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DANE_AXE]
[NAME:dane axe:dane axes]
[SIZE:1200]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:3350:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:2250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:200:150:bash:bashes:shaft:2000]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_NAGINATA]
[NAME:naginata:naginatas]
[SIZE:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:13000:3100:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:2250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:500:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1200]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GLAIVE]
[NAME:glaive:glaives]
[TWO_HANDED:70000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:2800:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:2250]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GLAIVE_CRESCENT]
[NAME:crescent glaive:crescent glaives]
[TWO_HANDED:70000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:22000:2750:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:2250]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:47:17 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like your hunch was correct (Tiruin, cheers for giving me a lead):
All tests have the same format: 5 male stone dwarfs against 5 male stone dwarfs placed in straight lines 10 paces apart. Team 1 has (one each) steel hand axes. Team 2, steel battle axes (one each).

Test 1:
Victory for team 1
Team 1, 3 dead, 2 with minor wounds.
Team 2, 5 dead.
All deaths caused by blood loss (one dwarf on team 2 was decapitated).

Test 2:
Victory for team 1
Team 1, 2 dead, 2 with minor wounds, 1 with major wound (broken lung).
Team 2, 5 dead.
All deaths caused by blood loss (one dwarf on team 2 was decapitated).

Test 3:
Victory for team 1
Team 1, 1 dead, 2 with unscathed, 1 with minor wounds, 1 with major wound (broken spine).
Team 2, 5 dead.
All deaths caused by blood loss (one dwarf on team 2 was bisected).

P.S. Deon, is it really too much to ask for a bit of a weapons guide?
 Edit - All tests were done on the flat, south eastern section of the Arena.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:51:28 am by slawr34 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

No, anyone can do it since the wiki can be edited freely :).
Also I would encourage it.

P.S. By your tests, hand axes are better, while by raws battle axes are deadlier (they chop off bodyparts easier and penetrate better), I think it's caused by totally random stats.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 642