Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1228709 times)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

Can't call Domples "lead", they're not slow of movement. Guess I'll give them some fat layer thickness. "Shale" has been used for lies/trickery/precarious...

Not sure that I like the idea of having a moron dwarf class unless it is offset by something but then isn't that what the Shroom Dwarves are for?  Is there an advantage to being strong and tough other than for military?  If so they could be dumb as rocks but strong and tough.  There low learning rates would make them useless to the military but maybe beneficial in some way. 

As far as names go I can't really think of any stone type name that is good.  Baby Huey Dwarf is to long.  What does Domple mean?  Domple Dwarf has a nice ring to it.

Oh yeah, been using your stones.  No problems so far really.  Obsidian, Gabbro, Diorite, and Mica look identical.

Not sure if this has anything to do with Genesis (kind of doubt it) but I removed the [Is Stone] tag from many of the junk stones as I was told that if I did this mining would stop dropping boulders.  Unfortunately the boulders still drop.  They are unusable though and not listed in any of the menus. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:14:21 pm by Morwaul »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You would have to use [SOIL], also they wouldn't be smoothable then.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:43:20 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile

Tried looking on the wiki, but is it possible to set the skill to mine a stone?  If so, you could set it so high that you never get boulders from it.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

I figure this is known but my super snazzy pet Mutant Faedog is an "f".  I'm using Tomi's files so I'm betting the tile hasn't made it into Genesis proper yet.

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:height]
    • View Profile

Just started running Genesis and it's been much fun, good job guys! I think my favorite part has been the Steel dwarfs, it's nice to be 100% certain that a migrant will be awesome in the militia. That and my fort has two Steel babies that I nicknamed Zena and Hercules. Pretty much the only thing I want to do in that fort is see them grow up and put them in the militia.

A couple problems though:
What tile are demons supposed to be? They only show up as black squares for me, which makes them hard to see depending on what they're standing on. I'm using Tomi's ASCII files.

I can't seem to put on any gauntlets that I craft myself in adventure mode. The ones I "liberate" from shops and bandit camps work fine, but the ones I made from dragon raptors didn't do anything but eventually bruise the upper body of a bandit.

Speaking of bone gauntlets, I saw that certain creatures (like, say, dragon raptors) make for better weapons and armor than normal bone, how do their bones compare to metals blade/hammer/armor-wise?

highkoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is awesome Deon thank you, now i can have even more fun!  ;D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Just started running Genesis and it's been much fun, good job guys! I think my favorite part has been the Steel dwarfs, it's nice to be 100% certain that a migrant will be awesome in the militia. That and my fort has two Steel babies that I nicknamed Zena and Hercules. Pretty much the only thing I want to do in that fort is see them grow up and put them in the militia.

A couple problems though:
What tile are demons supposed to be? They only show up as black squares for me, which makes them hard to see depending on what they're standing on. I'm using Tomi's ASCII files.

I can't seem to put on any gauntlets that I craft myself in adventure mode. The ones I "liberate" from shops and bandit camps work fine, but the ones I made from dragon raptors didn't do anything but eventually bruise the upper body of a bandit.

Speaking of bone gauntlets, I saw that certain creatures (like, say, dragon raptors) make for better weapons and armor than normal bone, how do their bones compare to metals blade/hammer/armor-wise?
Ah, Tomi probably forgot to change their creature tile. Go into creature_genesis.txt and replace CREATURE_TILE:255 with something else (like, 'Z', because if you make it D, you will confuse it with donkeys and dragons :P).

A page or two back I've answered this. Gauntlets from reactions lack the left/right definition, so they are not usable (a DF bug). Also the strong bones are still worse than copper, so it's only good for a Play Now! character, or for roleplaying reasons.

I figure this is known but my super snazzy pet Mutant Faedog is an "f".  I'm using Tomi's files so I'm betting the tile hasn't made it into Genesis proper yet.
Yeah, faedogs are non-canone yet :P. Although mostly because of my slow involvment lately, and I will integrate most of TomiTapio's cool stuff for the next release :).

Tried looking on the wiki, but is it possible to set the skill to mine a stone?  If so, you could set it so high that you never get boulders from it.
No, it depends on the skill total, and if you make it slow, you will get very low drop from metal and gem tiles as well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:35:07 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Yeah I leave the icon-drawing to Deon. My raws are the pre-release or experimental versions. Faedogs I imagine to be green/cyan/yellow spotted.

Oh yeah, been using your stones.  No problems so far really.  Obsidian, Gabbro, Diorite, and Mica look identical.
Thanks for the testing help. I didn't change the existing stones or their graphics. Need to encounter my new minerals to see if their colours&tilechoice look okay in their surroundings.

Toughbone vs. metals, frequently asked, see http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/tips-and-advice short version: worse than copper. (farm some Pekyts for toughmaterials)

I think I'll make another ASCII release after Deon's next Ironhand release. Unless Deon beats me to it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:09:17 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been sieged by illithids, fought them off apart from two void masters that are now flying about above my entrance scaring all my civilians so half my population are milling about outside.  They don't seem to want to come down to fight and my marksdwarves don't seem able to seriously injure them when they manage to hit them at all.  Anyone got any suggestions on what to do, it's more irritating than anything else, I was just wondering if there's something in the raws for them that makes them act like that, I've only seen them do it in the 3.23-5 versions I think.  Usually enemy AI seems to consist of heading towards the nearest hostile and attacking it.

Also I tamed a carrior crawler that was a mount for the illithids, released it only to have it kill a dwarf and two dogs before getting caged again.  Will this just be because it killed a dwarf or pet during the illithid attack?  I've tamed some dralthas from the caverns without any problems.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does making steel at a crucible work? I have coarse iron, flux(marble) and coke.  Do I need something else?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Does making steel at a crucible work? I have coarse iron, flux(marble) and coke.  Do I need something else?
First must hammer coarse iron at finishing forge into iron (a low-grade steel actually). I recommend having 3 smelters 2 finishing forges 2 crucibles.

I've been sieged by illithids, fought them off apart from two void masters that are now flying about above my entrance scaring all my civilians so half my population are milling about outside.  They don't seem to want to come down to fight and my marksdwarves don't seem able to seriously injure them

Also I tamed a carrior crawler that was a mount for the illithids, released it only to have it kill a dwarf
Void masters are wizards with forcefields (something like steel skin). You've got a challenge there!
Don't try to tame enemy mounts. Slay them instead (by drag-to-pasture-where-soldiers-wait)

Having fun with new test fort... embarked with 160 logs (32 tons of wood IRL...), and that's mighty great for furniture and fuel!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:45:58 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

think ill skip that and use a blast furnace to go straight from ore

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Oh yes, shiny caves!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
black biotite clusters in red migmatite layer. (mig value 3, so pretty)

Edit: hee hee, should I add http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapiolite ? My middle name is Tapio (the Finnish forest deity).
Fiddling with ilmenite, sylvite, satinspar and quartzite(silica)..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:07:59 am by TomiTapio »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

crazy news for any one wanting dwarfwolves I found a way to get Dfusion to search through the game race raws and change the creature's race though name alone.
though the issue that comes up is that these new werewolves outside of arena mode will still crash the game in battle if you don't save into their new bodies.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

What is the point in the "race change" when you can just give them custom bodies?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 642