Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229975 times)

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.25c ϟ] - animal sounds plus a fix
« Reply #6600 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:53 pm »

Am I the only one that is getting what looks like animals that now trample grass? They didn't use to but since I got the [0.31.25] Genesis Mod [3.25c] - Phoebus release they seem to remove the grass on Every tile they step on, so they are just clearing out the grass insanely fast..

Could you have activated that they trample the grass instead of deactivated it at some point? :P

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: April 18, 2011, 06:38:31 pm »

Aren't they grazing? as far as I know certain animals have to graze in order to survive now. If you create a pen/pasture in the zones menu and assign a few grazing animals to it, you'll notice patches of sand/soil after a while or at least that's what I've noticed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: April 18, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »

GRASSTRAMPLE:0 should not trample grass at all. Are you sure the grass is not dead/dying and they don't eat it in one try?

Also I have more creatures in the works (to populate savage and evil areas).

Savage are bears and pumas in chitinous exoskeleton with sharp claws. I didn't come up with a name yet.

Evil are... wamblers. Not the fluffy wambler type.

They are small but their teeth are sharp so they can bite through clothing and low-grade armor. And they are many.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, a new megabeast.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: April 18, 2011, 06:41:37 pm »

:o EEP!

That movie scared me so bad when I was a kid, and looking back...

I have no idea why.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: April 18, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »

Yeah it scared me too when I was a kid. I watched all parts though... It was a double-edged feeling: a fear and a desire to know what happens :). So I watched it nervously but with a great pleasure. I kinda miss that feeling these days :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RaidSoft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:01 pm »

they seemed to go through grass WAY too fast to just be grazing, it was like literally every single tile they stepped on got cleared out instantly even if they were just running over it, a horse and a bull were clearing out a 300~ tile pen with just the two of them, they weren't doing this in some patch earlier (and yes this was after grazing was put in)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6606 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:01 pm »

Thanks TomiTapio, gonna try it out now! (bored with my Terrifying biome spawning skeletal turkies and donkies, got over 80 turks dead :\)
Aw carp, turkey donkey horse cow goat giantolm also default 50 freq, too common.

Slap these in if you're already using my bonfire-having raws:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/Genesis_3.25c_Ironhand_Tomis_incl_Bonfires_Apr19.zip

But of course my dwarves are not moving the illithids to the cage...
"Get prisoner from cage" is done by by hauling a cage to the prisoner's current cage, and putting prisoner into the new cage for transport. "Put prisoner in cage"... well he's already in a cage.
But like I said up there, it worked with goblins, I would usually get all my prisoners in a single cage, for some reason I can't in this mod.
Edit: Then I'd guess something is different in dwarf and/or goblin attributes and skills in Genesis. "Goblin too dangerous to handle error".

I like to delete the grasstrample tag instead for putting it to zero.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:00:01 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: April 18, 2011, 08:20:33 pm »

But of course my dwarves are not moving the illithids to the cage...
"Get prisoner from cage" is done by by hauling a cage to the prisoner's current cage, and putting prisoner into the new cage for transport. "Put prisoner in cage"... well he's already in a cage.

But like I said up there, it worked with goblins, I would usually get all my prisoners in a single cage, for some reason I can't in this mod.

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:06 pm »

pumas in chitinous exoskeleton with sharp claws
Catamantis? :D Get it—catamount (another name for puma, mountain lion, cougar, all the same thing) + mantis (as in praying)? *shot*

Whatever you wind up calling them, they sound really cool. I am totally going to cheat and make them [COMMON_DOMESTIC] so I can embark with them. :P

RaidSoft, I actually had that problem too. I'm not sure how (or if) I fixed it, but I haven't been noticing it anymore, so... I am not sure what to tell you, actually! It seemed to only occur where grass wasn't dense, so perhaps that had something to do with it?

And Tomi, you said to update Goldplated mine own self would take about five minutes in WinMerge—would that be just copying over the graphics and going through all the raws and merging for the creature tiles?  :-\
I am slowly but surely assimilating all knowledge gleaned from you and Deon to become a supermodder! ...or at least one somewhat less pathetic.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:13:59 pm by asfghn »
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: April 18, 2011, 10:47:41 pm »

Actually, it wouldn't require that at all, as far as I know.  Plants, trees, grasses and the like would require some looking over, but creatures would use the tiles which are specified in the graphics folder.  It doesn't matter if you use Phoebus', Ironhand's, Toady's, or the Goldplated mod.  If the files in the Graphics folder are set correctly, the pictures for all the creatures will just... work...

You gotta make sure you don't double any tags in this graphics files tho.  I believe that DF uses the first picture it finds a match for.  I might be thinking of how Stonesense works with it's tiles, tho.  Either way, doubling tags will make the mod not work as intended.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:22 pm »

Cata- prefix means "all" so Catamantis might mean "the mantis of all mantises". I made a shell-dropping  ShellBear back in DF 40d. So like giant armadillo.
"Demonic turtleman" would fight well and have thick shell and poor dodging skill. (ehh T.M.N.T.)
Also one could make "demon ogre" "reptile ogre" big enemies but they might be stronger than semimegas... I like ogres!

Everyone: which beast would be slower than a dwarf or human, but larger than a sheep, and appear in herds, and be weak in combat?

And Tomi, you said to update Goldplated mine own self would take about five minutes in WinMerge—would that be just copying over the graphics and going through all the raws and merging for the creature tiles?  :-\
What I would do is take current Genesis, use WinMerge to copy all the tile-number things from Deon's Genesis Goldplated to current version. And in the init file tell DF to use
not [GRAPHICS_FONT:ironhand_text.png] [GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:ironhand_text.png] but the goldplated file.

Seems like merging all the "[*****TILE:**]" lines would take 15-30 mins, they're quite plentiful, all plants, trees, minerals. Probably workshops tile-piles would look wonky but I wouldn't mind.

I use Crimson Editor 3.70 (2004), has handy "remember which files i had open" and "find string in all those subfolders". (Successor Emerald Editor BEGS ADMIN RIGHTS in Win7.)
CNET is trustworthy download location: http://download.cnet.com/Crimson-Editor/3000-2352_4-10031858.html

Private tuning: made all dorf castes have the same agility.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:41:36 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:28 pm »

So make them, and make them Semi- or Megabeasts.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: April 19, 2011, 12:01:11 am »

Cata- prefix means "all" so Catamantis might mean "the mantis of all mantises"...
So like catatonic? Guess you learn something new every day.
And "mantis of mantises/mantii/more than 1 mantis" doesn't sound that bad.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: April 19, 2011, 12:15:11 am »

So make them, and make them Semi- or Megabeasts.
No point in making more megas, since they come super rarely. You seen a dragon lately ingame? Semis might be fun for adventurers, but I don't adventure.
Oh the other hand... a game variant with no hostile civs, only ultramegabeasts (10x size colossus & company) might be viable.

And "mantis of mantises/mantii/more than 1 mantis" doesn't sound that bad.
Might be fun, a mantis megabeast. Or colossus-sized ant, or spider. I wonder if a 20-legged beast would have great defense from enemies hitting the legs and not vital organs. Probably would die of blood loss; so it shouldn't bleed or feel pain if want the leg-count to be a defense.

Having fun:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:42:48 am by TomiTapio »

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: April 19, 2011, 12:52:36 am »

Quick question, Tomi—probably a really easy fix that I'm just not seeing (having gone cross-eyed by now trying to figure it out), but your faedogs aren't showing up on embark. Is there a reason for this that I missed in the thread somewhere? :o

But huh, I didn't know that about the prefix 'cata-'! I was just thinking catamount, as in the alternate name for puma/cougar/mountain lion. :P You really do learn something new every day!
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 642