Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230561 times)

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile

A couple of animal questions (On a previous note, however, I'm amused I managed to get at least one person to refer to DF as "grimdark" - it really is, though).

Actually? They are all kind of the same:

Spaniels - I love them (in real life and otherwise), but do they serve a purpose?  You can't control them, and I have yet to experience a single hostile creature they can survive fighting.

Creatures like cave tortoise - again, I'm fond of them, and so I embarked with a couple; are they worth anything as pasture animals?  I'm going to make them a nest box, since I figure they are egg-layers, not milk (and definitely not fur) givers.

*looks*  And yes, I'd agree lightening ironhands is a good idea.  I have trouble seeing things myself sometimes *bad eyesight*

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

I'll help out with the Japanese.

We're all using the same dictionary, http://jisho.org/, yeah?

And we're all using "kana as romaji"?

Will we be keeping the "ー" in the words, or are we going to change them?

If you need help putting the translations in the raws, just send them over to me, I have an excel sheet to concatenate all the stuff together so it's just a copy+paste job.

Also, the letters done so far, do they include the second half of the raws, which are out of order, or have you already sorted the whole list alphabetically?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Jisho - yes
Alphabetized - yes

I made words with "-" in them doubled vowels or avoided them altogether for a better translation
And I avoided loan words as much as possible (tho I did use the Ainu word for "kin")
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the whole list has been reordered alphabetically, huh. I'll figure out what letters I'll do when I sleep.

So with double vowels, we're doing oo and ee rather than ou and ei?

As far as loan words go, it can't really be helped sometimes. Should I use them if it's really the most common way you'll hear that word being spoken, or should I stick to getting the shortest, "most japanesque" translation, even if it's sort of obscure?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm not on the side of messing up.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:41:32 am by Patchouli »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since I don't "speak" japanese, the method I used was the shortest, and if I knew the meaning of the word somewhat, the most agglutinated.

Like "Kyo" would be Capital, even if it's often used to mean "East" in true usage.  I think... I don't speak japanese.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Spaniels - I love them (in real life and otherwise), but do they serve a purpose?  You can't control them, and I have yet to experience a single hostile creature they can survive fighting.
Creatures like cave tortoise - again, I'm fond of them, and so I embarked with a couple; are they worth anything as pasture animals?  I'm going to make them a nest box, since I figure they are egg-layers, not milk (and definitely not fur) givers.

Spaniels (made by me) are just as useful as turkeys and hens and rabbits. Meat and leather and bones. But since they're dogs, they got good viewrange for chasing kobbos, and good nose for stealther-detection. So chain them at your entrance to sniff out intruders (bigger dogs follow your woodcutter or doctor or best smith or best soldier for protection)

cave tortoise: used to be that moody dorfs wanted SHELLS and then you were screwed if couldn't fish any vermin-toirtoises. But you could embark with c.t. for their shells. Plus drunken dorfs can engrave things on their backs for lulz.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since I don't "speak" japanese, the method I used was the shortest, and if I knew the meaning of the word somewhat, the most agglutinated.

Like "Kyo" would be Capital, even if it's often used to mean "East" in true usage.  I think... I don't speak japanese.
I'm pretty sure Kyo in Tokyo and Kyoto both mean capital, so you're in the clear!

The Tō in Tōkyō means East. To in Kyōto is different.

It's going to be a bit weird in some ways, because for example, the dictionary points out that "higashi" is the word for east, but for our purposes, in using it for building names or cities, we'll probably want to use "tou" instead. Then again, you'd want to use "higashi" for most of the other common purposes. Ideally, we'd make two separate "east"s and change the raw files, but that's a pain in the ass, and no one wants to deal with that. So it's a weird grey area of picking between the shortest and using the realistic translation, but more often than not, we should end up with common translations considering how weird some of the words in the DF dictionary are.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:12:34 am by Patchouli »

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Light green plants with light green grass, small brightness variation from the tileset (also 10% brighter grass, but that's independent of the style)

I like this one, the one with light green and light green seems kind of blah.

What really gives me trouble, Phoebus, is the smooth floor tiles, I for the life of me can't distinguish brown or dark gray floor tiles from plain black squares without getting my face about six inches away from my screen.  I checked your various tile sets, hoping one had a lighter floor tile, but none did, so I switched to an older copy that still had the good old plus sign.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Light green plants with light green grass, small brightness variation from the tileset (also 10% brighter grass, but that's independent of the style)

I like this one, the one with light green and light green seems kind of blah.

What really gives me trouble, Phoebus, is the smooth floor tiles, I for the life of me can't distinguish brown or dark gray floor tiles from plain black squares without getting my face about six inches away from my screen.  I checked your various tile sets, hoping one had a lighter floor tile, but none did, so I switched to an older copy that still had the good old plus sign.
"Add a new tileset with brighter floors." Message received.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Patch for ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ [ϟ 3.24b ϟ] PHOEBUS
Adds Tetrahedrite & Anthracite.
Adds reaction to extract fuel from Anthracite.
Adds reactions to create steel using Graphite instead of the fuel reagent. (still need fuel or lava to produce steel)
Uses the new plant tile for root/bulb/tuber plants.
Fixes the status indicator arrow for thirst/hunger/sleep/nosebleed.
Fixes black stone/gem colors.
Fixes soil and sand tiles.
Fixes obsidian and slade tiles.
Fixes the sky & underground chasm tiles.

Genesis_3.24b_v0.zip @ MediaFire

To install, unpack over your current Genesis/Phoebus installation, then run "DF_savegame_updater.bat" to update your savegames.
Weeee! I have a Phoebus in my Thread who can Phoebus my Thread while I Phoebus my Phoebus in my Thread!

Thank you :). I was away for the weekend, so I didn't have time to add Tetrahedrite back. Also I didn't add Antracite yet because I've made bituminous coal more frequent.

I will add your fixes and some of mine additions and release a new ver. soon (and start making ASCII for those who asked).

So I guess I'm the only person to have nothing but willow trees in heavily forested swamps.

How do ya'll deal with how DARK ironhand is, i used to love the phoebus tile set, but its all dark now too.

Sad me is sad.
You can make the colors brighter.

Also I bet you are just in willow swamps :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I'll help out with the Japanese.

We're all using the same dictionary, http://jisho.org/, yeah?

And we're all using "kana as romaji"?

Will we be keeping the "ー" in the words, or are we going to change them?

If you need help putting the translations in the raws, just send them over to me, I have an excel sheet to concatenate all the stuff together so it's just a copy+paste job.

Also, the letters done so far, do they include the second half of the raws, which are out of order, or have you already sorted the whole list alphabetically?
The words with "-" are transliterations, do not use them please.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also I bet you are just in willow swamps :).

I've set down in Woodlands or Heavily Forested swamps in each of the last three versions, are there really supposed to be no trees in any swamps other than the the willows that grow around pools?

Thanks

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I will check biome settings. It's not good, more variety would be better, I will tweak appropriate trees :).

Also I personally can't play with bright colors, I like dark floors because they stand out and differ from works, but I will make different settings later to appeal more people.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

ATR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh no! When I run my save I'm getting a "missing plant gloss: CAVE_BUSH_AGAVE"! Probably my fault from complications though. I was playing this save from the ironhand gen 3.22 I think. I switched to Phoebos (its better) when it was available, and it worked but some of the tiles were messed up (see my previous post in this thread). I now just updated from Phoebes' post, the v0 update, ran the save game updater that came with the zip, and now I'm getting this error. Is this fixable or should I restart? Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:45:13 pm by ATR »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's deffinitely not a standard error.  Nobody else is getting that.  You missed something.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 642