Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230332 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.18e ϟ] - mosquitos and centaurs
« Reply #4875 on: February 04, 2011, 06:59:27 am »

On mythril: I want it to be a better material for armor, between steel and adamantine the gap is too big IMHO.
Don't black and red steel already fill the gap between steel and adamantine?  I'm sort of happpy with weapon materials at the mo, if I have iron I just start making steel in my blast furnace right away, make red if I have bauxite.  No iron then I make bronze stuff.  Repeat until crafters are legendary then make adamantine stuff.

I'm happy with the state of Genesis at the moment, not sure what else there really is to add but that's probably just my lack of imagination!

Actually black steel and red steel are not that superior in comparison to the steel-adamantine difference. There's still a huge leap between them. Having something viable as a super armor material which is hard to obtain but possible without digging to hell is nice.

Especially because I want to start modding other races to be playable  at some point, and I want to give aboveground civs some weaker variant of adamantine so they don't have to be played the same way as dwarves.

Holy crap.  I have yet to encounter werewolves in-game, but I just spotted them while playing with legends viewer.  Are they always this crazy powerful?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No, it's the "legends" problem. I remember seeing 300+ elves being killed by 10 dwarves in vanilla. In the actual game they are very strong but not too hard to defeat, especially with good weapons/armor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4876 on: February 04, 2011, 09:21:12 am »

You could always make a reaction using gems and body parts to create blood bars, and have the blood bars be the magical metal equivalent of pig iron.

A use for tendons and other scraps?
Horns, hooves, ivory, plus gems? That sounds alchemical. Maybe lye too. I'd like vials from other materials than boring glass.

Mithril should be better than steel, right? But we already got three metals (black, red, ada) that are better than steel. Maybe mithril could be like red steel in armor, and like regular steel in edged weapons. Mithril ore sounds nice, instead of eg. "platinum+cobalt". Maybe it could show up in basalt and obsidian. Or only in sand layers :)

Exploding beasts? Consider the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:31:26 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: February 04, 2011, 10:41:14 am »

Mithril by itself was soft and lightweight, its strength was in alloys. Also it seems to be modelled after titanium and aluminum. So I think that I don't want "mithril alloys" but rather "mithril" as an end product, and use some rare metals and materials to make it.

And I would love to be able to hide it :D. I mean, I definitely want to make some "secret alloys" and recipes which you have to discover, but anyone can look into raws and see everything.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: February 04, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

You could always make a reaction using gems and body parts to create blood bars, and have the blood bars be the magical metal equivalent of pig iron.

A use for tendons and other scraps?
Horns, hooves, ivory, plus gems? That sounds alchemical. Maybe lye too. I'd like vials from other materials than boring glass.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Vial
Extend the extract reactions to metal?

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: February 04, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »

Mithril by itself was soft and lightweight, its strength was in alloys. Also it seems to be modelled after titanium and aluminum. So I think that I don't want "mithril alloys" but rather "mithril" as an end product, and use some rare metals and materials to make it.

What do you mean? You're talking like mithril is a real material. The nature of it depends entirely on what imaginary universe you're in. For example in LotR Mithril was ridiculously strong and light by itself. It's your world cause it's your mod. Mithril can be whatever you want it to be. For new materials you could look to civ forge for some inspiration. Unless you want to avoid that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: February 04, 2011, 08:18:31 pm »

In LOTR it was soft and lightweight. Dwarves used a secret alloy, elves used it in their "moon metal". It was mostly known for its alloys, not pure form.

"Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim." (The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Journey in the Dark").
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Nami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:05 pm »

I like the idea of mithril as a middle ground between steel and addy, however at the same time I wish that at least a couple current metals (cobalt. black steel, and black bronze) could be done away with.   For me at least, it's hard to know what's better than what and having so many different metals makes it harder for caravans to bring what you want /exactly/.  I know that's not going to happen, since they are no doubt a big part of the game, but making them possible to switch off in the options menu thing you're making would be great Deon 8D.

Oh, also, if mithril was made, and you wanted it to be light weight, then using silver (a heavy metal) or platinum (the heaviest metal in the game) seems like a bad idea, what about aluminum?  I think (addy not withstanding) it's the lightest metal in the game, and also just as rare as platinum, and as expensive. So... yea >>

Also, sun gold, if it is actually, you know, gold should be much, much heavier. 
I'm cool with it being inexplicably light though, because then it's cool armor.
Making it an even better metal would also work, I really like sun gold, ever since I accidentally destroyed a depot and ended up with enough melted down trinkets to build a sun gold bridge in the front of my fortress... 8D;

Be sides that, umm... some suggestions/questions:

If common gems at least could be found in veins, rather than clusters, Not so much so that you'd find more of them, but rather because it's more realistic, and easier to mine.

Make dye be in a separate category from milled plants.  It'd be a big time saver when you want your dye to be with your cloth and not with, you know, your food, so you could disallow/allow a category instead of having to manually find each dye.  But, if the milled plants were grouped by type, flour w/ flour, spice w/ spice, that'd also be awesome.

If we could choose to x'nay a lot of the underground plants/above ground plants.  Or in some way make them not show up on the menu if we don't have the seeds for them, or ... or something, so you don't have to search through 3 pages of seed types when you want to plant something.  x.x;

What do spaniels do, exactly?  Besides, you know, die easily? o0;

I know Ice Dwarfs make extremely good doctors, (if I get one on embark, they automatically become one) because they learn so fast, however, what about Jade Dwarves?  Do they learn stuff 250% faster too? 
Because they don't seem to.

Steel Dwarfs are like, supposed to be perfect...right?  Or, you know, just really epic as a rule.  However, I had a Steel Dwarf who was clumsy, flimsy, and weak and quick to tire (or something close to that), is there some way to make that impossible?  Because, I feel like it should be.

Oh, oh also, Ice Dwarfs don't make sense, erm, at all.  See, you put them having, like, aquired traits from being in the cold, and passing them down to their children, except, that's not how it works, umm, evolution wise, traits aquired during a life time would not be passed down to the off spring, because that isn't in the DNA. 
But now I'm looking at the Ice Dwarf description, and see that it's been changed, so nevermind.

Also, I feel like the fact that Obsidian Dwarfs cast fireballs at the slightest provocation should be in their description.  Mine at least always opens the battle by throwing 2 or so fireballs at her target while racing forward.
It's awesome.

Lastly, about Moss Dwarfs, are they better farmers/plant gatherers/food industry workers than other dwarfs?  If not, then could they be?  Because their name at least lends them to it, plus, they, along with stone, ice and shroom dwarfs seem to make the bulk of my populations, with sprinklings of obsidian and jade.  But barely any gloomers (and steel dwarfs obviously).
I've only ever seen one apsid, but that's more because I don't pay attention, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:43:01 pm by Nami »

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:06 pm »

Deon, I have a question:

What happens if I set the frequency tag of an animal to a value over 100?  Does it glitch?

And on the subject of mithril...

What about combining 1 cobalt, 1 bronze, and 1 silver into a mithril bar?  Or something around those lines?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Eman6881

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: February 04, 2011, 10:13:47 pm »

Damn, i think magma blast furnaces are gliched , i tried every possible arrangement of channeled floor and magma blast furnace.
Also, how do you make plaster in this mod? Ive tried kilns, but they just make bricks and creamate bodies.

And on the subject of mithril, 1 cobalt 1 bronze and 1 silver is alot of work for a 1 bar, id rather find adamantium then make that. Thouse should make 3 mithril bars, making it worth it do make mithril.
"Bronze Collosuss cancels Destroy World, inturrupted by Eman6881"

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: February 04, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »

Also, how do you make plaster in this mod? Ive tried kilns, but they just make bricks and creamate bodies.

And on the subject of mithril, 1 cobalt 1 bronze and 1 silver is alot of work for a 1 bar, id rather find adamantium then make that. Thouse should make 3 mithril bars, making it worth it do make mithril.
i havent problem making plaster, you just need an empty bag and a gypsum stone.

on mithril, your formula would make one mithril bar priced 13 1/3, which is even cheaper than bronze or silver. Deon said about mithril on a par with sun gold, so i suppose a good formula should make mithril worth 60 if not close to.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: February 04, 2011, 10:57:02 pm »

Damn, i think magma blast furnaces are gliched , i tried every possible arrangement of channeled floor and magma blast furnace.
ftp://

Top and center is what I line up with the channel full of magma. Works just fine for me.

mastere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: February 04, 2011, 11:16:07 pm »

Man this mod is fun to work with...... after making dragons tameable and buyable as pets I realized my mistake in doing so with cave dragons. The goblins/barghests/dark elves love to use war cave dragons as mounts, and often come in waves of 30-100 dragons with bastards. However this leads to a phenomenon (well this and changing dragons so that they can actually rear children in the normal timescale of a fortress), where the war cave dragons whose riders have been killed and are thus left behind start colonies of cave dragons underground. I don't know if there was a female underground to start with, or if it was just the product of cave dragons introduced from war (or possibly a pregnant war dragon was used?), but the underground colony is booming and will soon be a good source for some amped up dragonscale.

Does anyone know how to do the following?

assign a graphic to a custom creature through the creatures raw file (i always see 255, color 0 as the only tile used for everything) I am using the ironhand graphics set
Give the ability to shoot iceballs

thats all i ask for now....

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: February 04, 2011, 11:36:04 pm »

So, do Stone Dwarves regenerate nerve damage? One of my miners got in a scrap with a Giantess, and took some nasty wounds, among them many nerves severed including spinal cord damage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: February 05, 2011, 12:31:34 am »

I've read that severed nerves are completely unhealable.  The game sees them the same as a severed limb -- not just cut but fully removed from the character.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: February 05, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »

Hmm. Does anyone know where to find the file that stores whether dwarfs have nerves? I'm really getting tired of random animals getting one lucky bite in on my dwarfs feet and making them not able to walk again. Any help?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 642