Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229247 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.11 ϟ] - a GrandFix
« Reply #3000 on: September 08, 2010, 01:28:01 am »

Maybe non savage deserts could get a great rattlesnake that has a poison that makes things really slow?
Think dangerous stuff like that probrably belongs to the savage deserts. I was thinking more on the lines of... desert foxes or something.

"The Void Master Mind Flayer touches the goblin child in the crotch!"

EWWW!!!!

... They do that?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:32:10 am by Pan »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: September 08, 2010, 01:41:36 am »

Yeah they have an attack that sucks out blood and injects toxin.But sometimes it dosen't do ether and it just bruises.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: September 08, 2010, 02:24:07 am »

Yeah they have an attack that sucks out blood and injects toxin.But sometimes it dosen't do ether and it just bruises.

Excellent, the bruises will be good proof in court!

Okay, done with the molestation jokes.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: September 08, 2010, 05:02:21 am »

Lawlz, that's a good one  :D.

Hey, is there anyway to reduce the framrate other than turning off weather and temperature? (already did that) My FPS at the moment is at 4, and it is lagging really bad, heating up the computer and causing it to shut down without warning. And, no, I'm not gonna abandon.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: September 08, 2010, 05:06:15 am »

My FPS at the moment is at 4, and it is lagging really bad
[G_FPS_CAP:20] ..nothin' moar.. 20 helps me keeping up to 30% more fps than with default.

I'm not gonna abandon.
True Dwarf ye are! Be HARD!

causing it to shut down
Open your box..

it is lagging really bad
I wonder, if your cpu is speedstepping down because of heat, or it is typical FPS for you? If thermal protection is slowing down machine, only way to help is make sth with cooling sys and force cpu to fixed clocks.
Also - wrong bios memory settings may have adverse effect on stability/speed too(so it is not sure, if it's only cpu matter in your case, imo)..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:12:55 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: September 08, 2010, 06:43:26 am »

Starting up another embark - Untamed wilds, aquifer (I can't seem to escape them), three connecting rivers into what I hope is an excellent waterfall (I really want to create a waterfall fort entrance that can retract, dumping invaders a bunch of Z-levels into the water) - and I've noticed an amusing trend in my dwarves:

Obsidian: Usually suited to combat, which leads to hilarious forest fires
Moss: Strangely, most of the moss dwarves I get end up with "extremely slow to heal" attribute - not sure how this goes with their healing caste attribute.
Gloomer: Super hard for me to get, but some of the best stats I've ever gotten on a dwarf.

Now, onto steel dwarves.  I've gotten a few with amazing stats, but for the most part, they turn out like the one I just got:

"She is very flimsy, very weak, and really susceptible to disease" <-- usually clumsy and really slow to heal, as well.

For mental attributes, they usually have good spatial and kinesthetic sense, and good willpower, and then a huge list of terrible attributes - so coordinated but totally inept at everything else. This one has "A way with words", but about half of the other attributes are poor at best.

I find it pretty amusing that when I'm lucky enough to get a super-dwarf, I get the reject.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: September 08, 2010, 06:53:39 am »

[G_FPS_CAP:20] ..nothin' moar.. 20 helps me keeping up to 30% more fps than with default.

I'm not gonna abandon.
True Dwarf ye are! Be HARD!

causing it to shut down
Open your box..

it is lagging really bad
I wonder, if your cpu is speedstepping down because of heat, or it is typical FPS for you? If thermal protection is slowing down machine, only way to help is make sth with cooling sys and force cpu to fixed clocks.
Also - wrong bios memory settings may have adverse effect on stability/speed too(so it is not sure, if it's only cpu matter in your case, imo)..

Hey, thanks for your help! I lowered the FPS cap and it increased by around 3 fps. Good start. The computer is pretty old, and it has been shutting down like that for all the other mods I've played. But this time, it's worse. Probrably cuz the other mods I tried are all 40d, without caverns and a lot of z levels. Still, thanks!  :D

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: September 08, 2010, 07:04:47 am »

PM me, if you want to share, what machine is this.
if it's shutting down like that, it really may be hardware/bios settings problem, maybe fixable in some easy ways. also, i can strongly recommend checking air flow in coolers' vents, sometimes small dustball may have quite an impact on temps and stability..
sometimes(especially, if it is athlon xp, i.e.) bios can set cpu wrong way, or memory has wrong timings set..etc etc...maybe i can help.
you'd better avoid worst scenario for progressing blackouts: dying capacitors on mobo(check for not flat caps on these), or dying power source(quick-check of voltages in bios)...

anyway, PM me, if crashes persists.

for getting more fps by init edit you may try changing engine used([PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] to some other one). it may be very dependable on machine, so who knows(standard usually works best, but..).

Good luck.

upd: you may try embarking on medium/small map, with embark 3x3 or smaller to check, if you get more fps, btw. some may recommend editing world cave parametres to ease cpu strain..

also, limiting pop_cap may help you in long-term game too(and it changes game style, in nice way).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:30:39 am by McBeer »
----------

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: September 08, 2010, 07:27:10 am »

Why is resizeable windows set to no by default?

One random question, do the fireballs obsidian dwarfs and such throw do anything when temp is turned off?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3009 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:41 am »

I embark at around 280 fps, 35 fps graphical. 60-70 fps makes me consider leaving the place.
Try smaller window size, zoom in closer with mousewheel (zoomed way out slows DF), and graphical refresh of 10. The mouse and keyboard input suck at 10 G-FPS, but, makes your time advance faster.
I have reasonably much area on 3x2 embarks.

Starting up another embark - Untamed wilds, aquifer (I can't seem to escape them)
Closer to the mountains the terrain is higher (hills), less chance of aquifers. Or reduce world's rainfall a little.

I have lovely gloomers, maybe because I made them focus/concentrate a lot, guess they hone their skills in the mountainhomes then. Secret brooding, scheming, intense.
The "very clumsy" etc. descriptions are relative to the
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:450:600:800:900:1000:1100:1500] Tomi's male Stone dw
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:900:1200:1300:1400:1600:1700:2200] Tomi's male Steel dw, reduced speed because they're super strong and tough already
So clumsy (one less than middle) steeler would have 1300 and clumsy stoner 800.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:11:49 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:23 am »

I embark at around 280 fps, 35 fps graphical. 60-70 fps makes me consider leaving the place.
it's not about "whose ..ick is longer"... mate. not everyone's rich here, you know.
man was in need here...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:04:30 am by McBeer »
----------

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:18 am »

it's not about "whose ..ick is longer"... mate. not everyone's rich here, you know.

I feel no shame reporting my fps numbers. It's just what is happening over here. You can analyse lots of my fps at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:System_requirements/Archived_reports
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey Deon, I made a 30 kg boa constrictor now, with mild poison. Your rattlesnake and similar have BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH  twice. I think they lack the CHILD and LITTERSIZE and gender castes, too. I delete their PHYS_ATT_RANGE bits for my worlds. Can your snakes, if they flee, be caught by running woodcutters?

ps. also made a python, [BODY_SIZE:4:0:210000] --IRL 136-158-180kg max says web.
Python [DESCRIPTION:A huge deer-swallowing snake, can be as heavy as three dwarves. Up to 29 feet long.]
Boa [DESCRIPTION:A large rabbit-swallowing snake, less than half the weight of a dwarf but with strong muscles. Up to 8 feet long.]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:10:34 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:04 am »

So I decided I should probably try this mod, and I was wondering about tilesets.

I'm using phoebus set as of now, so if I install this, will it change the graphic set?

The frontpage has a graphical set, but I'm confused as to what that entails.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: September 08, 2010, 11:50:08 am »

Yes it will. Genesis graphical version is based on Ironhand. I think others can give you advice how to put Phoebus on top of Genesis ascii version.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: September 08, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

On second thought, Ironhand's set doesn't look all that bad.

I should really pay more attention to these things.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 642