Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229733 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 2.98 ϟ] - werewolves!
« Reply #2190 on: July 27, 2010, 07:17:05 pm »

Damn.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Vherkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: July 28, 2010, 01:45:35 am »

Quote from: deons
Yes it's me. And I know what you mean. There's no backstory why are all these races there and everything like that.
Because the god wanted to piss of the dwarf obviously  ;D
After all, that was most if not all fantasy backstory are about, "god did it" with alot of word.

About the change of illithids, are you insane ?  :o
You really wanted people to never say again illithids did not survive in my map do you ?
max pop:15000         starting pop:100  8)
I kinda like to have a world mostly cover by evil civ now. Still, i will tunes them down a little and boost other evil civ for my game. It's just seems wrong to me they are more populous than goblin =D.

Another thing, in all the map i gen, osman and nord do great but wesman kinda have hard time to expand. I think is because osman love jungle forest where wesman actually don't like them, even the normal one.
Quote from: Toady One
(*)put forest start biome on humans (for proactive forest clearing)
in the vanilla 31.11 patch note.
So im gonna add that to the Wesman and see if they expand more.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:44:18 am by Vherkin »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: July 28, 2010, 01:55:45 am »

That might be a good idea.

Also I am positive on the change in relative evil race numbers.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vherkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: July 28, 2010, 05:08:54 am »

About Wesmans:
Good new, adding any_forest work really well, now wesman have nice little kingdom :)

Now the change i made to illithid and goblin. I hope it will help to balance genesis:
The idea here is simple, the illithids where to numerous, forming a litteral horde. Like i said before i love the idea but i find goblin more suited to be the horde. Now illithids still do well but don't actually cover 3/4 of the map. They are rare, small, really powerful nation. Like it was intended to be but with a whole lot more "survive world gen".

The green horde is coming  :o

Spoiler: Illithids biome change (click to show/hide)
This biome list is from the goblin raw with only little modification. I think that the old isolated in mountain way from the goblin fit more to the illithids. They kinda stopped to take over the world too that way.

Started with the biome from illithids and modified it alot. I did not want the goblin to actually start/live at mountain, they are to numerous now. They would probably run short of space or take it all from the other race.
I made them start at wetlands and deserts, two recluse place where they hided waiting for a chance to strike back. I make them to do well in a lot of different biome making it easier for them to spread out and build their nation.
Because they are not isolationist like illithids, i gave them road. It seemed just silly for a warmonging huge nation who build obsidian tower to not use road in their empire.

Random change:
Start group number changed to 50 for the wherewolf. It's help them survive the early part.
Max starting pop changed to 25, max civilization and max site pop multiply by two for serpentfolk. Not that they need it, i just love them and want to see more of them :).

Fun Fact: i actually played your mod for actually only 2-3 hours, i mostly used my game time, up to now, to gen world. I just love to see all these nation and race collide. =D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:48:20 pm by Vherkin »

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:23 am »

That goblin/illithid switch sounds great. I've been missing goblins the last few worlds, they always got wiped out by elves/humans/dwarves and now illithids, hehe ;)

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: July 28, 2010, 07:59:33 am »

Well, I had a fairly fun adventure in my Illithid dominated world.

I started off as a steel dwarf in a mountainhome that's isolated from the rest of the world by a square of mountains you have to manually walk over. No problem, I started walking at night so I wouldn't get too distracted by shiny things and travelled for a while, when I thought I'd gotten far enough... oops, can't travel because something can see you! So I started walking back the way I came to clear my way out and killed some eagles, some more eagles, another group of eagles, a few more eagles, and OH MY GOD OGRES. This was actually my first time seeing ogres in Genesis so I wasn't sure whether they were lethal or deadly.

I'd made a crossbow and bolts from some of the eagles I killed, so I shot an ogre and it took damage. "If it bleeds, I can kill it" is the motto I play by in adventure mode, so I dropped the crossbow and took out my trusty Wrought Iron Battleaxe, and proceeded to carefully kill the ogres one by one. Ogres dealt with, I was able to travel to the single surviving dwarven mountainhome on the other side of the mountain, to look for spearcatchers valiant allies to aid me in my quest! Unfortunately there were only about 10 dwarves living there and I could only find one sword-dwarf to come with me. Oh well, onward to check out the illithid cities!

The illithid cities weren't hard to find, they control about half the map. Unfortunately when I arrived at the nearest one I quickly found out that you can't talk to them, only the non-illithid slaves. I felt greatly disappointed for all of 10 seconds until I realised that this just means that there's absolutely no reason at all not to begin the Age of Death with them.

Next on my list of fun new friends to make was werewolves! So I travelled halfway across the world without too much fuss (well, my sword-dwarf friend picked up a lot of bad-ass scars, but I was fine) and arrived at one of the werewolf forest retreats, only to find that they, like the illithid, are mute and therefore I cannot have a werewolf wrestler companion, alas :(

My next plan was to find a civilization near an Illithid or Werewolf civ who would be at war with them and see if I could pick up a mission to kill an Illithid or Werewolf, just as an excuse to start a rampage. The unlikely heroes in this case were the Sylvan Elves, who are either about 2 years from being extinct or just outside the range of the largest Illithid empire. There are 3 quest givers in their capital forest retreat, the queen, princess, and druid, and they all sent me after an Illithid high priest at a nearby dark fortress.

I arrived at the dark fortress with my trusty and scarred sidekick the sword-dwarf, and 2 serpentfolk warriors I'd picked up on the way to the elven kingdom. As fate would have it (I honestly didn't want or plan for this to happen. This is just a result of picking up the first warriors I find that are willing) they are an obsidian dwarf and 2 serpentfolk salamanders. Those of you who have adventured with similar companions know what this means in terms of combat, and those of you who haven't, should ;)

Anyway. I arrived right at the edge of the temple, with the illithid high priest about 5 paces from me, and the dwarf neaby, but the serpentfolk were out of sight. I charged at the high priest while the dwarf decided to take on some serpentfolk slaves that were nearby. My fight with the high priest was a draw, neither of us could inflict any serious damage. He had no weapons and I could only dent his forcefield. He then decided to fly up and over to the other side of the temple structure where I couldn't easily follow, and my serpentfolk allies, some more illithids, and more slaves showed up.

The fight was on, fire and medusa breath flew everywhere. The dwarf became paralysed and a bunch of slaves strangled him to death. I dropped my axe and picked up his crucible steel short sword, thinking that might be more effective against the illithid. Conveniently, the high priest came back within reach and I was able to test it. One swing and one decapitation later, my mission was complete, and I was ready to return to the elven capital for my next mission, if not for my serpentfolk allies, who were in a bit of trouble. One had become paralysed by something I think medusa breath from a slave, the other was struggling to fend off four opponents. With the crucible steel short sword in hand, I easily defeated the 3 slaves and one illithid who were fighting with my conscious ally.

I could have left after that, but I didn't want to leave my paralysed salamander companion behind. I saw another illithid priest on the far side of the temple, so I headed around the edge of the pit to attack him, to defend my paralysed companion. Unfortunately, when I got to him, he swung at me and I dodged into the pit, momentarily stunning myself. That was all the time the illithid needed to fly down and strangle me to death. Opportunistic bastard. Can't blame him though, it's what I'd have done in that situation, if I had wings. ;)

Oh, I'd like to note, that in this world, while the illithids do control about half of the world, every other race is still alive, except goblins and nords. Goblins have always died out because they are too aggressive and weak. Nords in this world, 2 of their civs got killed within 50 years because they were too close to illithids, the other 2 civs got killed in year 190 and 450 by serpentfolk civs, after 10 year wars. I don't know if that means nords are too weak/lizardfolk too strong, because I don't actually know how these war results are figured out. (except that it takes illithids about 5 years to wipe out any civ they decide to declare war on, it seems)

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: July 28, 2010, 08:22:08 am »

Orcs are hardcore. I saw one get his hand chopped off, and he ran away.

Not to flee mind you, just to pick up his squad leaders axe and come back to round 2. O.O

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: July 28, 2010, 08:47:07 am »

Thought of this recently, would it be possible to add stuff like impaled heads and piles of skulls? Shouldn't be too hard to make no? Probably a whole lot more useful than the rockball courts and the likes. Nothing says dwarf like a hole in the ground sorrounded by goblin heads impaled on spears.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: July 28, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

Hah, it should be a cool aestetical addition. I personally would like to build impaled skulls in front of my fort (instead of common statues I place there).

Nat: Great story :). Actually force fields are close to iron, so you should use steel or better to fight castes with them. Also it was a cool coincidence that the priest caste was the one with the shields. There're just a few of them, and they are very rare.

Orcs are hardcore. I saw one get his hand chopped off, and he ran away.

Not to flee mind you, just to pick up his squad leaders axe and come back to round 2. O.O
It reminded me of a situation where a lizardfolk shaman had his both arms chopped off and still somehow threw fireballs and continued to bite. He managed to snack on three military dwarves and one herbalist before he went down. Some persons are just too hardcore to die normally.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »

Obsidian dwarves make lousy military. This is my 3rd forest fire... The problem is that while I don't want to go to the surface, the freaking traders always run down and get ambushed. I'm too dependent on traders for wood and sun gold...

Now that I know gloomy dwarves don't spit webs, they don't really seem that enticing as military. I think I'll stick to steel and stone dwarves from now on (until they get amputated and retire - every hit is a freaking amputation in this version).

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »

My military is made up entirely of Moss and Steel Dwarves. I have the pop cap set and 100, so I have 4 or 5 Steel Dwarves in the fort to act as slayers. The Moss Dwarves are good at taking out Illithids and other poison using beasts because they can shrug it off and keep severing limbs. :D

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: July 28, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »

My military is made up entirely of Moss and Steel Dwarves. I have the pop cap set and 100, so I have 4 or 5 Steel Dwarves in the fort to act as slayers. The Moss Dwarves are good at taking out Illithids and other poison using beasts because they can shrug it off and keep severing limbs. :D

Not a bad idea actually, I'm freaking full of forest spiders and their poison is instakill for my dwarves (no moss in military).

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:29 pm »

It reminded me of a situation where a lizardfolk shaman had his both arms chopped off and still somehow threw fireballs and continued to bite. He managed to snack on three military dwarves and one herbalist before he went down. Some persons are just too hardcore to die normally.

I just had a totality badass swordswoman adventurer. she went hunting werewolves with some friends but they were killed by a gang of land sharks and giant ants in a battle on the way. eventually she was killed by a land shark who had crippled both arms and a leg. in the last turn before she died she threw her sword at the shark as it was shaking her around and managed to cut it in half. they both died at exactly the same time.

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: July 28, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »

I'm really enjoying the mind flayers. Actually got a place where my medics are working 24/7, full of skeletal raptors, skeletal elk, illithids, goblins, snakemen, skeletal dragon raptors, giants, deep crows, etc... 40% of my dwarves are military and they're really hard pressed to keep diplomats and traders alived (with mixed success, recent dusk elf diplomat bit it to a single skeletal raptor while I was dealing with the rest of the pack). The training is working finally so my soldiers are getting up to decent levels, and with a grand master armoursmith it's working out splendid keeping the damage down to a minimal. Only had two amputees retire, rest either died or got minor injury.

However all this fun has brought the hospital demon, and am running into issues like the famous surgery bug where your dwarves won't sit still. So I've got a really injured steel dwarf running around with compound fractures all over his body and training as usual. He'll probably bite the dust next siege.

The best part is I haven't really opened the caverns yet because I'm having too much fun with just the above ground part. So keep up the good work and let's hope 0.31.13 fixes all the hospital bugs.

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: July 28, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

well, it looks like i'm not the only one who has epic stories from this mod. :D

After making some tweaks to illithids, so they don't zergrushpwn everyone by year 45, I settled on a decent map that i liked. In adventure mode, I made a obsidan dwarfette, so i can explain rationaly why I'm tossing around fireball bolts, and started wandering the wilds.

I have to say, hunting down animals (and punching them to death) is strangely satsisfying. I made 2 more backpacks, and sorted my equiptment, weapons, and crafts into them. My plan was to make enough gold/silver coinage from the ezekram elves to legitimately trade for better armor. (didn't happen, I died before that happened)
In addition to hunting down and skinning elk, foxes, and marmots, I did my part to clearing the area surrounding the frozen desert of undead. This dwarfette was becoming more and more of a hard core ranger-monk. As I wandered the area around the northern pole, I was becoming more immersed into this world.

Near the end of my adventure, I had picked up a small group of companions. 2 or 3 dwarves from my starting empire (1 jade dwarfette who became insta badass wrestler from fighting a dragon raptor ambush) and 1 ezekram elf from the town i always traded at.
Guided by Forces Unknown, we decided to clear out a small werewolf encampment.

Which side inscribed this image is up to you to decide.
---

And being like that I am, looking at this image for ages while my internet was cutoff in the wee hours of the morning started my mind into overdrive.
Soon you shall see 'The saga of the Torch', coming to an internet webcomic near you.
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 642