Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Could not find path lagg  (Read 4186 times)

WhindGhost8

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Could not find path lagg
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:48:14 pm »

About half an hour into trying the new version of df i accidentally made a kitchen that blocked off the only way out. When this happened i noticed that the entire game slowed down to around 3fps from running smoothly... As soon as i dug the dwarf out it returned to normal.

By the looks of it the dwarf attempts to find a new path too often when he is stuck, and it just laggs down the entire game... Imagine what would happen with several stuck dwarves  :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:51:54 pm by WhindGhost8 »

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Could not find path lagg
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:01 am »

i have a pathing bug for digging that i found- if the side they WANT is not accesible, they ignore the side of the wall they can reach and cancel the job. this can make some digging.... interesting.

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:32 am »

I've seen this happen too. I was installing floodgates to my water pipes and forgo that at some point I had already channeled out both the topmost stairs of my well shaft as well as the water entry shaft. The worker of course stood on the wrong side during installation and got stuck in the piping. My 100 fps started oscillating rapidly between 20 and 60 and the freeze bug (game stalls completely for an eyeblink every 10 seconds or so) became very pronounced. I could have linked the floodgate to a level but since the stuck dwarf was a mechanic too, he kept grabbing and suspending the linking task. At which point I tired of the low fps and deconstructed the floodgate and built a temporary down stair to my well shaft.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »

Yeah I had a miner trap himself. Then my fps plummeted to 2 or 3 while he tried to path to areas that were designated to mine, but couldn't reach. And each designated place un-designated itself with a "job cancelled" announcement. This led to some havoc as my half-way dug out great hall turned into a haphazard checkerboard, halfway through its excavation.

Helix Marine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

My whole game freezes constantly now when its usually at 100 fps and i only have 20-22 dwarves and some animals. The freeze lasts like 1-3 secs resumes then freezes again.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 02:40:57 am »

This sounds somewhat similar to HFS path blocking lagging out a game. Though that only 1 person being path blocked is causing so much lag sounds like a big issue.

This is issue 0000901 on the bug tracker so its been reported and is listed as a major issue.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:29 am »

I don't want to call it lag on my end, but it's honestly pissing me off a whole lot right now, but I don't want to play 40dxx's.

I want my dwarfs to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They just stand the forever and don't do anything!

My fortress is COMPLETELY OPEN, there is nothing blocking pathing to any section of the map, save i do have walls so i can actually funnel enemies some where... but my dwarfs standing at a location way out of my fortress cause i need to build something and NOT work or even CANCEL the work is agitating. It's like, what the hell guys? there's nothing between you and your destination!

Then theres the whole selecting materials to build... I have materials no more than 10-15 tiles away and they claim there is no build materials. YES there is pathing RIGHT to where they need to go and there is NOTHING obstructing there flow. No dwarf is in prison, no dwarf is locked out from another, there is ZERO reason the dwarf should be idling standing there like a freaking statue!
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:09:49 am »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:23 am »

Ignore that bit about the mantis thing... was in tantruming, the venting to my fellow denizens, I was cured.

Tonight being the 12 or the 11th of this month?

... I know it's silly, but from my looking through the list on that mantis thing, I noticed a lot of them say something about a negative distance.

It's not the negative distance thing that's the bother, I can still build when those show up. It's when the game removes ALL building materials from being selectable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:23:04 am by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:41:21 am »

Ignore that bit about the mantis thing... was in tantruming, the venting to my fellow denizens, I was cured.

Tonight being the 12 or the 11th of this month?

... I know it's silly, but from my looking through the list on that mantis thing, I noticed a lot of them say something about a negative distance.

It's not the negative distance thing that's the bother, I can still build when those show up. It's when the game removes ALL building materials from being selectable.

This COULD be related...

[0.31.03] Happens during an gobo ambush.  The military being as they are (Useless, with a capital U), I used the new burrow system to pull everybody inside and pulled the lever for raising the draw bridge to seal the whole clan in, then, my game, which has always averaged > 77 fps out of a cap of 100, dropped to 1-3 fps.  I presume it was the multiple gobo outside trying to find a way in but decided to use a DOS-type psychological attack instead directly on the player.  gotta love the greenskins... LOL  Anyway, not filing another report since I think it is similar.

More info: when I observe cpu usage on the cpu meter gadget, found that only 1 core is busy at 50-70%.

EDIT: as an undocumented "feature", I can guess how many of the gobo have given up on trying to infiltrate the fortress by the slowly increasing fps :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:56:52 am by sphr »

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:52:41 pm »

Getting another odd pathing error repeat as well.

My weaver, despite having clear access to cave spider silk, will continually spam the "Can not find path" error when on the hunt for silk right after dropping off and turning into thread or cloth the webs they'd just collected, until someone comes and collects their work to be stored in the stockpile..where upon they'll run happily right off to collect more webs, error free..until they come back, that is.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:41:35 pm by Treason »