Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Get ready to welcome a new Russian speaker in a few years (maybe)  (Read 3534 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Get ready to welcome a new Russian speaker in a few years (maybe)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »

I'm going to be learning German soon. Maybe we can speak to one another based off of the few words that are similar.

Hey, I have to learn that one, too >_>  We can have a language party.

Now we just need someone who speaks Polish...

Funny you mention that, because...

Dostałem dzisiaj pm od Polaka na tym forum. Ostatnio coś dziwnego dzieje się na tym forum. Jest takie jakby lepsze.

EDIT: Il Palazzo ty ninja!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

If it's anything like Translation Party, it'll be fun. But remember, the Party can always find YOU! :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:47 pm »

I'm going to be learning German soon. Maybe we can speak to one another based off of the few words that are similar.

Hey, I have to learn that one, too >_>  We can have a language party.

Now we just need someone who speaks Polish...
I speak Polish. What's a language party?

We all sit around awkwardly speaking our languages in various proficiencies and eventually devolve into a giant German-Russian-Polish-French-English creole.

... Mostly, it's awkward.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »

Wow, mr.R, just look at that monster:
<english>: <italian> <polish> <japanese>!

Vector: from my experiences with sharing houses with multilingual people, drinking copious amounts of alcohol tends to help with understanding languages you haven't got a clue about. Worked quite well with Russians and Czech guys, at least.(also, Rooster: woda rozmowna)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »

I guess it's as good a place as any to point out that, by popular belief (among russians at least), you're not a true speaker of The Great and Mighty Russian Language until you've mastered this. There's a vocabulary of it somewhere, but I seem to have misplaced it...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »

Crap, I've just realized... So, that's where all the Russians, who speak (or type, for nitpickers) English well, go. Bay12 forums, and can't be met in the real world. Or I look in all the wrong places. Seriously, even the teachers of English at my University make mistakes all around. Except that one American, but he doesn't count. Life is so sad. :-\

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 01:43:52 pm »

It happens all over the place, it seems. The two different English teachers we've had at our university also couldn't match my level of English, except with sheer expanse of their vocabulary, and even then not always. The key is/was mainly New Media, it seems. Cartoon Network and Discovery Channel, while they ran untranslated on cable, all the different books and games in english that I could acquire, I mostly learned the language from them, and the school just gave it subtle nudges in the "vaguely right" direction.
The fact that I got interested in programming probably helped, too. So far I've only seen exactly one programming language in russian. :)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:56 pm »

Wow, mr.R, just look at that monster:
<english>: <italian> <polish> <japanese>!

Vector: from my experiences with sharing houses with multilingual people, drinking copious amounts of alcohol tends to help with understanding languages you haven't got a clue about. Worked quite well with Russians and Czech guys, at least.(also, Rooster: woda rozmowna)

I didn't intend to do that.
Also: Właściwie to woda ognista.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 04:56:06 pm »

Well, now the Cyrillic alphabet doesn't look foreign to me anymore. I'm still extremely horrible at it though and forgot or mix up letters sometimes. However the spoken Russian language still sounds quite foreign to me as my listening skills are nearly non existent as I haven't be able to actually listen to anything I can understand other than pronunciation guides.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 05:05:19 pm »

Yeah, listening is usually hard. English has a quite defined "pattern" of words in each sentence so you at least know where to expect a noun or a verb. Russian can have very variable word order so you have to get what the words mean (in english quite often I understand the sentense without knowing all words involved).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

I am learning the prepositional case (plus still memorizing the accusative) and I am not getting them mixed up, which is good. I almost have the prepositional memorized and the accusative I still have tons of trouble with.
I'm learning more nouns so I can get practice with all declensions(?) of the cases. I don't want to learn a bunch of verbs until I get into past tense and future tense because of the imperfective and perfective forms of verbs. Basically I don't want to go back and learn another form of a bunch of verbs, but learn both when learning new verbs.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 03:28:12 am »

If I get a new dog, I'll make all the commands and verbal rewards in french
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 04:37:48 am »

One of my mates is Russian; speaks it with his family, etc. He's taught me a few words. Apologies for my horrific transliteration during this post.

Apparently 'Galuboy' means either homosexual or light blue.
'Priviet' or maybe 'Privyet' is hi.
I apparently can't pronounce 'Zdrasvoyti' - 'hello', even though I cannot tell any difference between how we say it. I'm also not sure if it's 'voy' or some kind of short 'vwi' sound- Sasha sounds like he changes it every other time he says it.

Any advice from our friendly neighbourhood Pysskies?*

*whee latin approximation of a nonlatin alphabet
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 05:00:48 am »

Caps work better for some letters. Pycckue uDyT!!!

Anyway. "Zdravstvooyte", is the closest phonetic equivalent, with emphasis on the 'a'. At least this is what I remember working best when I tried to get an english text-to-speech program to speak russian. ;D You can drop the first 'v' when saying it. And then, most of the word altogether if you're not required to be formal: "Zdras'te".

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 05:06:09 am »

All the Russian I know is profane. :(
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2] 3