Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Get ready to welcome a new Russian speaker in a few years (maybe)  (Read 3533 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Assuming I stick with the language and don't stop it learning or something.

I've been studying a total of about 5 days independently. So far I can do these things:
Read and write Cyrillic (not cursive yet though)
Say informal greetings and goodbyes (I've been wanting to get grammar out of the way since I only "speak" to friends in Russian (yes they are Russian))
Conjugate Verbs (I know three verbs! Know, run, and speak)
How to say help and thank you/please
I am pretty much done learning every pronoun in the accusative and nominative case
I can say "I/he/they/ect (doesn't) speak Russian"

I however feel really behind and that I should know much more than that. Of course I am not going to make the same mistake twice and I am just not going to care. I'll be taking everything really slow to make sure I understand and breaks when I need it to avoid getting burned out. I'm also not sure how necessary it is for me to learn the spelling rules as I can't remember them even in English.

So my live advice question is, any other Russian speakers here and any tips?
Also I do know that there is another Russian topic here but I am assuming it is like other forums where reviving topics is a no-no.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Get ready to welcome a new Russian speaker in a few years (maybe)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:00:36 am »

Oh, cool!  I'm not a fellow Russian speaker, but I'm going to take an intensive course this summer, and probably more later (it's required for my desired field, mathematics).  Maybe we can have awkward conversations once in a while, for practice =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:15 am »

Я говорю очень немногую русское.

I used to be halfway fluent about 20 years ago, but disuse and aging wreaks hell on a person's command of a language.

Couple of tips:
1. Spelling rules are important in Russian, as much or moreso than in English, because of all the conjugation and declensions (Russian has nearly as many declensions as Latin). Granted, if you use the wrong ending, people are generally still going to get the gist of what you're saying. But sound like Yoda or caveman, you will.

2. Don't be at all surprised if you get a lot of "two steps forward, one step back" moments. This happens with most languages, but the harder the language, the worse it gets. After a year and a half of formally studying Mandarin, I had days where I'd come into class and it felt like I couldn't make basic sentences. Then the next day, I might be carrying on a casual conversation with the teacher and it felt utterly natural.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:43:50 am »

I speak Russian fluently.
Also, first post on this forum! Woo!
Ya mogy tebya nemnozhko poychit'
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:09:28 am »

I'm a native Russian speaker, and boy, can I mess my speech up!
However, I've got an American teacher who teaches what could be, I guess, called Foreign Culture in English. I suspect that most of it revolves around discussing the cultural differences between the U.S.A. and Russia. The current highlight is, that it's completely normal in Russia to say while on a bus "Are you getting off at the next stop?", and in US it could get you into serious trouble. :)
Uh, I guess such knowledge won't be helpful for you for some time.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:53 pm »

Well I just learned my first noun.
студент!
Now I can stop using pronouns for everything.

But I still have to learn the accusative case (which I am doing right now) so I can add a few more sentences to my arsenal. After I learn the accusative case I will learn a enough nouns to practice every declension and a few more verbs. Which I think will be a good time to learn the spelling rules.
My next goal after accomplishing those ones will be to learn the prepositional case then plurals and numbers. If I then learn adjectives I will be farther than I was with a semester of German classes (not vocab wise though).
I expect all of this that I have posted to take quite awhile, if I get it done in about a month I will be honestly very surprised. Assuming I am not constantly mixing things up and forgetting things.

EDIT: How would I say "I know the student speaks Russian"?
Would it be something like:
я знаю студента говорит по-русски
or is there more grammar rules for those kind of things, or since Russian has a pretty free word order do I have to use different forms and such? If there is a grammar rule for this I won't learn it for awhile because I still have to get the basics down/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:47:48 pm by Reinecker »

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47:42 pm »

The current highlight is, that it's completely normal in Russia to say while on a bus "Are you getting off at the next stop?", and in US it could get you into serious trouble.
What? I don't see why...? What's the reason they said?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »

I'm going to be learning German soon. Maybe we can speak to one another based off of the few words that are similar.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:04:41 pm »

I'm going to be learning German soon. Maybe we can speak to one another based off of the few words that are similar.

Hey, I have to learn that one, too >_>  We can have a language party.

Now we just need someone who speaks Polish...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:08 am »

The current highlight is, that it's completely normal in Russia to say while on a bus "Are you getting off at the next stop?", and in US it could get you into serious trouble.
What? I don't see why...? What's the reason they said?
Well, while the teacher was saying that, he had a smile on his face. But a kind of explanation followed, that with a woman it could be viewed as sexual harassment, and he is like seventy years old, and brought up a topic like that in a group of twenty year olds, and our group is kind of shy when it comes to this matter... and it's not like "to get off" is widely used to denote sexual activity... So, he's weird like that.

EDIT: How would I say "I know the student speaks Russian"?
Would it be something like:
я знаю студента говорит по-русски
or is there more grammar rules for those kind of things, or since Russian has a pretty free word order do I have to use different forms and such? If there is a grammar rule for this I won't learn it for awhile because I still have to get the basics down/

I guess you're going for "Я знаю, что этот студент говорит по-русски". And I fear it might be too hard for you to handle at the moment. :) Or I don't understand English. Or you're playing some kind of horrible joke here, because this sentence in English seems a bit wrong or ambiguous. >:( Are you?
Well, I believe you're not, and so you really must mean that this particular student speaks English. Am I right? If so, the Russian translation is going to be a compound sentence, and in any other word order it is going to sound strange... You probably shouldn't tackle subjects like that for a while.

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:37:02 am »

Okay, I was figured that there was more to it. Like you and I said, I probably won't be tackling it for awhile which is alright, my initial goal is just to say simple sentences such "The dog is red" or "The red dog speaks English"(wait what?) or "I like to play guitar" and to explain to people that my Russian is bad, or to be able to communicate simple ideas.
Basically, if I just was able to communicate simple ideas in Russian then the grammar got way too hard for me, I would be happy, not satisfied though. I would keep trying and if I still keep failing I would at least expand my vocabulary and maintain the one I had.

But hopefully the rest of the grammar will seem simple to me like the basics do.
Also by my sentence, I meant in a conversation like this:
"I wonder what languages he speaks."
"I know he speaks Russian"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:39:00 am by Reinecker »

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 12:23:39 pm »

Okay, I was figured that there was more to it. Like you and I said, I probably won't be tackling it for awhile which is alright, my initial goal is just to say simple sentences such "The dog is red" or "The red dog speaks English"(wait what?) or "I like to play guitar" and to explain to people that my Russian is bad, or to be able to communicate simple ideas.
Basically, if I just was able to communicate simple ideas in Russian then the grammar got way too hard for me, I would be happy, not satisfied though. I would keep trying and if I still keep failing I would at least expand my vocabulary and maintain the one I had.

But hopefully the rest of the grammar will seem simple to me like the basics do.
Also by my sentence, I meant in a conversation like this:
"I wonder what languages he speaks."
"I know he speaks Russian"
Native russian speaker here. Keep on! D=
"I wonder what languages he speaks." - "Интересно, на каком языке он говорит."
"I know he speaks Russian" - "Я знаю что он говорит по русски."
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:40:01 pm »

Hmpf... punctuation! and connotations!
While the former a nitpick, the latter is a more serious point. It would be much less awkward to say:
Интересно, какие языки он знает?
Мне известно (not too good either, but to avoid repetitions), что он знает русский.

And I am... kind of... potentially... a future translator. They drill us hard on this stuff.

:P Just showing off here. I know the information is almost useless here at this point (in the thread author's progress, I mean).  :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 12:52:01 pm »

Native Russian here as well.

"Интересно, какие языки он знает?" - while less awkward, it's also ever so slightly different, in that the more direct translation is "I wonder, what languages does he know?" I always made a fine distinction between "knowing" and "speaking" a language - usually the former is a less advanced stage than the latter.
Same applies to your other variation, Supermikhail. But it's also quite a nitpick on my part. ;)

If you ever decide to go the Russian Mentality way, you could always "acquire" a copy of Rosetta Stone and three levels of Russian language, but that is quite illegal, so don't. Even if it's rather overpriced, Or So I Heard.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:53:55 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:19:06 pm »

Hey, I have to learn that one, too >_>  We can have a language party.

Now we just need someone who speaks Polish...
I speak Polish. What's a language party?
Pages: [1] 2 3