Please do!
- 49 (92.5%)
No need to.
- 1 (1.9%)
Please do! (I have a request)
- 3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Use other guide please.  (Read 7577 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Use other guide please.
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:07:40 pm »

In this short guide I'm going to show you how to create a custom reaction and guide.

It seems many people don't realize the new method of save handling and reaction handling. There are multiple places that have to be altered in order for your custom reaction/building to show up to be used. For example...

If you add a smelting reaction, you have to add the reaction to the "reaction_smelter.txt", you then have to make your reaction permitted on the "entity_default.txt". When you add a reaction to the "entity_default.txt" it will be under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] listing. Your permitted reaction should look like...
[PERMITTED_REACTION:XXXCUSTOM_REACTION_NAMEXXX]
When you add your custom building to the "entity_default.txt" it should look something like...   [PERMITTED_BUILDING:XXXCUSTOM_BUILDING_NAMEXXX]
YOU WILL CHANGE "XXXCUSTOM_REACTION_NAMEXXX" and "XXXCUSTOM_BUILDING_NAMEXXX" TO WHATEVER YOU HAVE IT LISTED AS.

Now that, that is out of the way.
You may not see the .txt, but don't worry, they should still be text files.

This is the guide to make a custom reaction and custom building.
-To start open up your dwarf fortress folder.

-Next go to the raw folder.

-Next go to the objects folder.

-We'll make a custom reaction that doesn't go into the smelter and has it's own custom building. So find the "reaction_other.txt" file and open it.

-We'll start with a very simple reaction to give us one free granite stone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Now save and close the file and look for the file named "building_custom.txt".

-You should see something along the lines of a Soap Maker Workshop entry. Go ahead and select and copy everything from "[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:SOAP_MAKER]" to "[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]".

-Paste this entry right below the Soap Maker entry, make sure there is a space between them, so you should now have two entries separated by a line break. You should have the following...

-Now you want to change the second entry to following.

-Now save this file and close it and look for the final file called "entity_default"

-The beginning entry should say "[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]"

If you scroll down a bit you should eventually come to a part in the list that looks like the following.

-Now for simplicity sake and for keeping it a little organized go ahead and add the following between the "[PERMITTED_BUILDING:SOAP_MAKER]" and "[PERMITTED_REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]"

You should now have...

-Now save and close this file.

-You have now successfully created your first custom reaction, custom building and you've added it to the entity file!

-Generate a new world and test it! Your custom building should be under the workshop menu at the bottom most likely. You could also press Shift+c to hotkey build it. It's going to use the furnace operating skill to build the workshop and use the custom reaction.

-After all is said and done you should have one workshop named "Cheat Workshop" and one extra Granite!

-Mind you this workshop is going to look like a soap makers workshop, but we want to keep things easy!

CURRENT VANILLA REACTIONS FOR VARIOUS ITEMS!!!

PLANTS (These should be JUST PICKED plants more or less)

TREES/WOOD (These should come out as wood logs)

Below is a list of all currently known vanilla dwarf fortress skills. I've tested every single one to make sure it increases and these all work.

--Important Note - Please Read--
All skills in this list are trainable, please keep in mind for the dwarf to use the workshop to train the skill he MUST have that skill enabled, military skills are the exception and "passive" skills like conversation. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Remember this, I don't want to hear "Why won't my dwarf use the workshop to train so and so." Thanks.
--End Important Note--

Please read this just in case.

Skills to added below a custom reaction (Good for "training" dwarfs in whatever)

If people comment and ask and vote, I'll continue to expand on the list. Next to come would be any available item your dwarf can use.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:16:50 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a custom reaction and building!!! --GUIDE--
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »

Good idea and nice guide :). Thumbs up.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:16:36 pm »

Nice guide, this should be put up on the wiki.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »

I don't have a wiki acc and don't know how to mess with a wiki yet... someone else want to do it? Or I'll just sign up...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:16:30 am »

If by popular demand I'll try to make an easy to follow guide/list for any reaction that we can come up with. Hope you all enjoy and found this useful!

Instead of a comprehensive list, could you do a couple examples? Like one to make gold, one for silk, one for...uh...blood? Maybe? Not sure what you can actually do. I'm thinking if you just do a couple and most people can probally mess about from there.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:19:15 am »

Well these are all the reactions I use...

If that's what you mean.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:24:23 am »

Someone earlier was trying to make stone slab beds, that accepted any  (Worthless?) stone and made a sleeping surface.  But they couldn't get it to retain the name of the stone used.   Any hints on how to pull that off, if it's at all possible.

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 01:32:12 am »

Got that fixed!

Well, partially. I just can't get it to work at the Mason's Workshop.

The problem was solved in http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52916.msg1135524#msg1135524

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 01:52:43 am »

Oh! Excellent, the next best thing is to make a quicky custom workshop for making the stone bedslabs.

that reminds me I need to work on making a better looking Furrier workshop for KC2010 and making a shop to make the sling weapons in.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:53:22 am »

Uh-huh.  Thx.
Now, is it possible to mod in custom job/profession to go with custom workshop? Like an alchemy?
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:45:11 am »

Uh-huh.  Thx.
Now, is it possible to mod in custom job/profession to go with custom workshop? Like an alchemy?

Profession names can be changed in the creature file.
Code: [Select]
[PROFESSION_NAME:CRAFTSMAN:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves]
[PROFESSION_NAME:FISHERMAN:fisherdwarf:fisherdwarves]

Doing this, one could rename an existing job - say, Soap Maker - to an Alchemist fairly easily for Dwarves, and only allow advanced alchemy for their entity.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 01:23:59 pm »

Is it possible to use animals/creatures in custom workshop reactions yet?
* Chrispy wants to make a flesh golem.  Repair and size increases only require more flesh.  Wonderful, wonderful flesh.  Muhahahahaha.  That, and having the reaction produce blood, just to stain the ground.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 01:49:19 pm »

Uh-huh.  Thx.

Profession names can be changed in the creature file.
[PROFESSION_NAME:CRAFTSMAN:craftsdwarf:craftsdwarves]
[PROFESSION_NAME:FISHERMAN:fisherdwarf:fisherdwarves]

Doing this, one could rename an existing job - say, Soap Maker - to an Alchemist fairly easily for Dwarves, and only allow advanced alchemy for their entity.

No, not that. I stumbled on this:
[REACTION:ALCH_TI_PB]
[NAME:alchemize titanium from lead]
[BUILDING:ALCHEMISTS_LAB:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:LEAD]
[REAGENT:B:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GIANT_OLM:LIVER][UNROTTEN]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TITANIUM]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

As you can see, there is new skill tag. How is that possible? I'd like to make a completely new industry chain with new skill, new workshop, etc.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »

Alchemy is an existing skill that just isn't used for anything in vanilla.

See the string dump:
MINING
WOODCUTTING
CARPENTRY
DETAILSTONE
MASONRY
PROCESSFISH
TRAPPING
WEAVING
BREWING
ALCHEMY
CLOTHESMAKING
MILLING
PROCESSPLANTS
CHEESEMAKING
HERBALISM
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:42:22 pm »

Is there any way to make soap working this way in the current version?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8