Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tone down mineral abundance (or control it with a worldgen param)  (Read 3188 times)

movius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Tone down mineral abundance (or control it with a worldgen param)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:58 am »

Don't agree.

Certainly there are untold riches compared to previous versions. But these are difficult/impossible to get to without opening yourself up to the hazards of the underground.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:10 am »

That's not true. There's still just as much abundance of it in-between (and above) those cavern layers, and if you count all the stuff you can get without even leaving any caverns opened up, the number of z-levels of stuff you get is still in excess of the 15 you get in 40d, not to mention you're getting like, five times more stuff per z-level.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:25 am »

Don't agree.

Certainly there are untold riches compared to previous versions. But these are difficult/impossible to get to without opening yourself up to the hazards of the underground.

After breaking into a cavern, you can wall up where you broke into it, and then tunnel straight for the exposed veins that were just revealed, only leaving unmined the parts of the veins which makes up the wall of cavern.  You only really need to brave the insides of the caverns if you want the underground trees/shrubs or the spider silk.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:59 am »

Well i for once would like to have WG Options for Minerals too. Maybe in a tree-structure so that you can set either a overall rarity of all materials or just the rarity of some materials.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 10:38:51 am »

Mineral abundance isn't in itself that bad. Personally though, I'd prefer if any particular site wasn't rich in everything, just some metals. It'd add character to a fort if it only had large supplies of silver for instance.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »

This needs to be added in the next patch. Seriously. I am sick of the ore.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 01:44:32 pm »

I think this is a simple problem of hypercorrection. In the last version, people complained about hardly ever finding gems, and about ore being very, very limited. In the current version, complaints are the exact opposite because the situation has swung to the opposite extreme.

Case in point: In versions prior to 0.31.01, I had never found rock crystal, not even once. In 0.31.01, I found it at least two or three times just by digging a simple path down from the embark to the magma sea.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 09:14:07 pm »

I kind of like it.

Mind you I plan on using obsidian farming to make the bulk of my fort suddenly because it's going to look like total crap if I don't, but actually being able to find stuff is nice.

I would not object to a world gen parameter on this one though, since I do understand that some people would prefer the world to be a bit less mineral rich. If we do go down this road, the current amount of mineral richness should be the max setting. Can't be letting things be "too" easy.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 10:06:32 am »

I'm pretty sure you can tone it all down by editing RAWs.

inorganic_stone_gem.txt
inorganic_stone_mineral.txt

Search for ":VEIN:100]" replace with ":VEIN:50]"
Do the same for CLUSTER_SMALL , CLUSTER , CLUSTER_ONE
Leave out the quotes.  That's a colon, vein type, colon, numeral, and square brace, no spaces.
That should halve the frequency of the overly common stuff, while leaving the rare elements at their current levels (e.g. diamonds).
(not yet tested in v0.31 )

If you're lazy and just do it on ":100]" it will have the side effect of making ore half as likely to produce metal when smelted.  E.g. not only will Magnetite occur half as often, but it will also produce iron only half the time you smelt it!

*edit*

Tried it during lunch, and looks like 0.31 is currently ignoring frequency settings.  Even when I set everything to 1, every block had just as many veins and clusters in it.
Toady probably did this for testing purposes, so that all materials are easily available.  I would guess that in a month or so we'll see this remedied.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:05:52 pm by zilpin »

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:35:02 pm »

Tried it during lunch, and looks like 0.31 is currently ignoring frequency settings.  Even when I set everything to 1, every block had just as many veins and clusters in it.
Toady probably did this for testing purposes, so that all materials are easily available.  I would guess that in a month or so we'll see this remedied.

I read another thread which said that those values control the relative frequency of minerals, rather than absolute, so lowering every "100" to "1" wouldn't change anything, which is why I made my suggestions.  However, testing this out with 0.31.02, it seems that altering the raws doesn't change the relative frequencies either.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 08:48:24 am »

i would agree on that thread minerals are too common, i can make a 20x20 room withoug finding 2-3 different ores, i can swim in gold nuggets and silver, and sometimes a whole mountain can be made of iron.

maybe the worldgen param to make mineral density variable would be nice.

also yeah a larger coal cluster would be nice... like "brown coal" its similar to bitoumous coal just comes in the flavour of the large clusters (like magnetite) at least that one i can do myself with the raws
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

sphagettiman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Nova Futuba
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 03:33:58 pm »

I've gotta say. I have mixed feeling on the abundance I love having the ability to get a metal industry running early on but, it feels like its getting handed to us a bit to much. In the end I think a parameter set up would be awesome and allow for a good way to set difficulty for anyone who wants to have a hard time early on. 
looking to build a world and strike the Earth!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »

I definitely agree that metal ores need to be toned down a bit.  Also, less diversity is good too- I don't like it when a single site has every single kind of metal right in front of you, easy to exploit.

As for coal, I guess it is OK to leave it as it is.  HOWEVER, I would suggest tweaking reactions so that refining a single chunk of coal makes more units of refined fuel-coal.  We definitely need more fuel than we used to now, what with magma not being near the surface as much as it used to.

As a related suggestion, I think it would be cool if gems and valuable ores were more abundant in certain underground cavern layers, so that you will be temped to go down there and face danger to get it.  :)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 07:54:45 pm »

i would even love to have more control of the layers in which the ores would come, as far i know there are 5 layers (at least there is that "z levels above layer 5" thingie in the custom region setup thingie) so some tag in the raws like [DENSITY:1:1:3:4:10] for example to have something very less in the upper 2 layers, but quite a lot in the lowest ... so you can control to have some ores nearly never show up in the upper ones for example (like adamantit should be something like 0:0:0:0:2 ^^)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 02:12:25 am »

i like the abundance of minerals, it allows me to do more with my fortress, but i can see why some people would dislike it.  i agree with the idea that some sites should be richer in certain materials - like a mountain rich in silver but lacking in iron or whatever, i think that would be interesting - but one thing i really didn't like in 40d was how sometimes you would embark to a site, put alot of hard work into it and then only later find out it's just kind of a crummy site with few good resources.  when some sites are more rich than others, you run into that problem  :-\.  so i would say more variation between sites in terms of what you can find, but not in terms of how much interesting stuff there is, because nobody wants a site with nothing on it.... right?  also slightly less minerals than in the current version, but still more than in 40d, and also the same amount of coal as we have now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3