Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For the love of god bring back "Do not harass animals"  (Read 814 times)

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For the love of god bring back "Do not harass animals"
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:17:38 pm »

My military keeps chasing after animals that wander near the entrance (and they all do.. it seems animals have a homing instinct, they all head straight for my entrance). They end up chasing the animals around the map one at a time, running to goblin ambushes one at a time, and dying one at a time. This is incredibly frustrating. They should be given the option to ignore things that aren't a threat (e.g., warthogs) instead of chasing after them incessantly.  ::)
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For the love of god bring back "Do not harass animals"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:40:46 pm »

I second this, it's silly to see the dwarves go off chasing random critters and wasting their ammo while there's an attack going on on the other side of the screen.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:03:24 am »

This, and an Ignore target order in addition to the Kill order, would receive my full support.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:19:02 am »

Count me in too... This problem is further magnified by the fact that critters are pretty much always faster than dwarves at present (known issue, back burner for now) I did like three entire laps around the map chasing one annoying alligator on a kill task only to get thwarted by a buzzard decoy maneuver and lose sight of the bugger leaving the entire squad milling around in the corner with their thumbs up their butt still having failed to kill the alligator.

They did eventually find and kill the gator, after it ate a few more civilians.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »

Are you kidding?  I WISH I could get my military to chase the giant mole that keeps running around my cavern!  They just sit on their thumbs and ignore it.  I was about to suggest 'harass animals' instead of 'not harass animals'.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:48 pm »

Looking at this, i think we should can suggestions until we've dealt with the bugs.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote