Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Immmm Mellltinnnggggg!  (Read 4379 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Immmm Mellltinnnggggg!
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:11 pm »

Explain this:

I decided to swim across the ocean as a normal, unmodded dwarf, in a normal, unmodded game. Suddenly, I get spammed with "You are melting!" and die. What caused this?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Immmm Mellltinnnggggg!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:02:50 pm »

Some people have had problems with rain melting them: the popular theory seems to be that the water is heating up high enough to be deadly. Likely to be a bug.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »

Some people have had problems with rain melting them: the popular theory seems to be that the water is heating up high enough to be deadly. Likely to be a bug.

But why would a dwarf melt?
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Ichythus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:13:16 pm »

I think it is because everything has a melting point and however hot that ocean was it was high enough to melt a dwarf! Think: end of Indiana Jones at the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Very epic end for your adventurer I'd think :)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »

I think it is because everything has a melting point and however hot that ocean was it was high enough to melt a dwarf! Think: end of Indiana Jones at the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Very epic end for your adventurer I'd think :)

It would have been, if he had been doing anything interesting at the time. Unfortunately, he was just some nameless axedwarf who decided to go for a swim.

E-l337

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »

You know, maybe it's *not* a bug, like we keep thinking. Maybe it is possible that, somewhere underwater, there is a pocket of magma that is heating up the water to a boiling temperature?

Regardless, I think this should be looked at, particularly in regards to the rain. I haven't experienced it yet, but I expect it might wipe out my fort soon enough...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »

Acid rain?

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:13 am »

Definitely a bug, happened to me while in a desert town in the rain. Oddly enough all the humans including myself were melting but the elves in the town didn't seem to be at all perturbed and were doing fine.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:29:31 am »

Definitely a bug, happened to me while in a desert town in the rain. Oddly enough all the humans including myself were melting but the elves in the town didn't seem to be at all perturbed and were doing fine.
The explanation becomes clear: the elves, realising their wooden swords are no match for dwarven adamantine, have started using bioweapons.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 03:42:02 am »

I reckon this is yet another reason we should never leave the safety of our underground fortresses. As long as you avoid the caverns, there's nothing that can get you under there!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 11:28:40 pm »

It's like Armok's own sweat falls from the sky!  Just ran into this bug as four migrants showed up to join my seven.  I'm down to one of my miners, a migrant cheese maker, and a horse that's covered in water and yet suffers no ill effects.  If only my war dogs had been so blessed...

Edit:  This area was considered "warm," if that matters.  And the miner is now melancholy.  Good thing the cheese maker didn't have any friends.  Guess I'll go for a hermit fortress.  I know what I'm calling my "civvies stay inside" alert now.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:52:43 pm by Todestool »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:39:04 am »

I've had rain that causes bleeding, not melting, as well. There's just something screwy with rain period. I think a bunch of effects are supposed to be applied to it now...but all of them are working over kill.

Because in my last fort, rain was effectively missles raining from the sky.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:47:53 am »

I've had rain that causes bleeding, not melting, as well.
rain of spikes... wow that's terrifying!
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:57:17 am »

death from melting is recorded as bleeding to death. drop something...say a fish... in magma, and it'll die of blood loss real quick.

but, once I mod in supah dwarves, I'll start looking for underground magma pools boiling the ocean. I think the best explination is that there is there might be a error somewhere that makes the bottom magma pockets heat the highest z-levels as if they were touching... the other explination is magma rain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:53 am »

magma rain
The cosmos emptiness tuned into chaos
The boiling magma was now delimiting the planets
First magma-rain drop hit like a bullet, piercing soil deeply
Thus started era of Hell...
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.
Pages: [1] 2