Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Immmm Mellltinnnggggg!  (Read 4377 times)

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Immmm Mellltinnnggggg!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:06:58 pm »

death from melting is recorded as bleeding to death. drop something...say a fish... in magma, and it'll die of blood loss real quick.

Death from melting is properly recorded as death from melting.  See: bronze colossuses.  Most normal creatures, however, cannot actually melt to death, as their body does not actually have a melting point.

The issue is that FAT has a melting point, and it's relatively low.  Fat also bleeds rather heavily.  So, if it gets warm enough, ALL your fat starts melting, resulting in MASSIVE bleeding.

This can be fixed by either removing the melting point of fat (in material_template_default.txt, under FAT_TEMPLATE) or somewhat more hilariously removing blood vessels from fat (in tissue_template_default, again under FAT_TEMPLATE, changing [VASCULAR:3] to [VASCULAR:0]).  If you just remove the blood vessels, you will "melt" without any issue, leaving a trail of grease behind you, until all your fat is gone.

A side-effect is that dragons are a bit less deadly as it takes multiple breaths to get hot enough to start burninating people, rather than a single breath to just melt their fat.  But really, it was silly anyway.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:34:16 pm »

That seems a bit odd... tissue with blood vessels should disperse heat quickly. Skin disperses heat energy into the air and the bloodstream almost immediately (at least if you only heat a relatively small patch), and I don't think fat should stay hot for any meaningful length of time either.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:19:25 pm »

Looks like we have a bug in dwarven blood-cycle system here.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:21:07 pm by plenum »
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 01:52:55 am »

I started melting as well, playing as an Elf (in the midst of slaughtering other elves of course.) I don't think it was raining at the time, I could be wrong, but I did notice that once I left the region I was in it stopped and I was able to travel away.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 03:01:42 am »

I've been following the progress on the bug tracker and all the reports there seem to include a combination of water and heat to create the melting effect. I'm not sure why being wet effects this, but for some reason it does.

Because of this you get cases of an adventure walking around minding their own business in a scorching environment, and then it rains... a drop of water strikes the dwarf resulting in instant dwarf soup.

Another report claims they can generate this effect by getting a dwarf wet and simply standing too close to magma. like, two tiles away.

I haven't seen anything about dragons yet, but that would make sense given how melty dwarves seem to be suddenly.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 06:25:06 am »

Considering the previous post, I'd say that the temperature system is treating water like napalm, not allowing it to dissipate heat, so if you're near a heat source it just builds until it hits the phase-change temperature of flesh.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Peteł

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:02 pm »

So I just put a dwarf near magma in the arena and dropped a stack of water on top of him. Bled to death. Hilarious noble death traps..
Pages: 1 [2]