Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 2010 assistance?  (Read 1058 times)

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
DF 2010 assistance?
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »

How would I go about making the stone be used as wood? The site I'm on has no wood, but plenty of stone. And do the NO_EAT, NO_DRINK, and similar tags need to be in the raws in the region folder?
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: DF 2010 assistance?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:52:11 pm »

If you add those tags to an already genned world, you'll need to have them both in the save folder and in the standard raw folder. Do a little bit searching, you'll know where they go exactly.

Used as wood in which instance? Beds? I believe you have to add a new reaction to say a smelter or kiln or soap maker or your own building.

If you wish I could post my 20 cheat items and the cheat building the belong to (I still haven't figured out how to edit those real well so it looks sorta like a soap maker building...) not to mention you have to edit the entity file to allow your race to use those reactions and that building.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:15:52 pm »

It's really easy, not remotely that complicated.

Just add [WOOD] to the MATERIAL_TEMPLATE for STONE. Since pretty much every stone inherets from that template, they'll all gain the [WOOD] tag.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:03 pm »

What FACM says I guess...

I don't about the templates, so I guess I've been doing it the hard way... O.o
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:33:25 pm »

It's really easy, not remotely that complicated.

Just add [WOOD] to the MATERIAL_TEMPLATE for STONE. Since pretty much every stone inherets from that template, they'll all gain the [WOOD] tag.
It didn't work, I added the [WOOD] tag to both raw files, the main one and the one in the region folder, and when I go to make a wooden bed, it says I don't have any logs (which I forbade the logs I have). Am I doing something wrong?
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:48:59 pm »

I checked, and will confirm the way I suggested doesn't appear to work.

If you had the opposite problem, I'd have been able to help, as I figured out earlier today how to make metal logs, which let me have steel beds.

Sadly, the token that marks a plant as a tree doesn't apply to inorganic materials, so you can't designate stone to drop logs.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:30 pm »

I checked, and will confirm the way I suggested doesn't appear to work.

If you had the opposite problem, I'd have been able to help, as I figured out earlier today how to make metal logs, which let me have steel beds.

Sadly, the token that marks a plant as a tree doesn't apply to inorganic materials, so you can't designate stone to drop logs.
Ah, okay. I suppose I could try to figure out a reaction for logs out of a smelter or something...I guess I'll try a new building that makes tower-cap logs.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »

Okay, I'm confused D:

What did I do wrong?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its not showing up in the build menu, is the problem.
Oh, and what would the product be? I'm making tower-cap logs, btw.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:54:30 pm by ShadowLuigi147 »

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »

did you check/edit in the save file of the fortress/region there's a copy of the raw in there to edit to make changes instant instead of requiring a new regen. idk if that helps or not

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:26:40 pm »

did you check/edit in the save file of the fortress/region there's a copy of the raw in there to edit to make changes instant instead of requiring a new regen. idk if that helps or not
Yes, but its not going to work, that was established earlier. Now, I'm trying to get a custom building to show up and make it make logs, but its not appearing in the build menu...

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:28:14 pm »

Did you add [PERMITTED_BUILDING:LOG_FACTORY]  to the Entity you want to use it (In the Entity_default)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:38:50 pm »

If you need help with it you could try my "fantastic emporium" thread. There's a download there for an entire df release with the cheats installed.

If not...

You need the reaction, entity permitted reaction AND the permitted building and the custom building... AND! you have to regen the world after all is said and done.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:22 pm »

Ah, okay. I haven't regenned, but I did add the stuff to the entity files, thanks!