Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clean up building menu  (Read 679 times)

Arminius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Clean up building menu
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »

Seriously, why has noone else apparently suggested this before?
Even if you take input inconsistencies (Arrow keys vs. +-/* vs. umkh) aside, the current interface for creating buildings is simply an unorganized mess of uncountable menu options. I pity the fool who chooses to build something in DF and finds himself within the horrible maze that is DF's building menu.

With the release of 0.31.01, Toady's gone the right direction regarding the interface for dwarves' labor options.
But I say: This is not enough. The building-interface needs to undergo the same changes to make it less cluttered-up. The building-interface needs MOAR CATEGORIES.

I've put some more thought into this issue and assembled a more or less reasonable proposal for a new structure of the building menu. Along with this proposal come a few name-changes for the menu items so the categories make some more sense.
I left some items uncategorized, though, because I coudn't think of any categorization that would make any sense.

To explain the format: Categories are prefixed with a '+', items have no prefix. Both sub-categories and single menu items are indented accordingly to outline the structure. Comments in parantheses. It should be pretty intuitive though, I think.

Finally, here's my proposal for a new building menu, nicely spoilered for those who apparently don't care:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully I didn't forget any items.

Furthermore, I propose that all menus list categories first and single items last. Even better, make categories visually distinct from simple items other than using plural nouns.

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clean up building menu
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »

This... is an amazing idea. I'm right there with you in that this is something incredibly frustrating when I'm trying to find the appropriate building and the menu isn't organized in any way, shape, or form.

+1
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:09:04 am »

This is probably the first thing that make people playing DF first time quit. I know it's trivial after few years gameplay :) and it's not a good excuse for quitting such a gem of game.

Nevertheless, build menu cleanup is a very good idea.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:17:36 am »

While I do like this idea, keep in mind that it also makes for more work for experienced players. Instead of just hitting b-b to build a bed, for example, you would have to hit build -> furniture -> bed. A very simply workaround would be to let as many items as possible retain their hot key, which in turn could be pressed from the build menu without having to navigate to the actual item (such as a bed).

I support the idea fully, though, many or all of the lists in DF (for one, there's also the stone menu) should be put into categories.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:25:09 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:23:00 am »

dupe
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:32:29 am »

more sub-menus does mean more keystrokes to do anything. Sure I think organizing the labor screen is an idea, it does seem easier to find things at a glance, it's a long menu to scroll up and down in, and there were no real shortcuts there.

On the other hand, I have to go in and out of a menu, several times any time I do labor adjustments now, which so far has cost me more time than it saves. Be very very careful when you start asking for sub menus... you might hate what you get.