Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01]Stupid Cheesemaker  (Read 2445 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
[0.31.01]Stupid Cheesemaker
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:31:02 pm »

My fortress was running out of food (Stupid farmers! Whaddaya mean you can't grow plants out of bare stone!? Fifty hammerstrikes!), so I rather hastily built a cheesemaking operation with workshops set to alternate between milking an animal and making cheese, in order to keep my food stores relatively stable until the caravan arrived while I expanded my fields.
It's progressing smoothly, but I keep getting the following announcement right after my dwarf finishes milking an animal and begins processing the milk into cheesy goodness:
Urist McCheese cancels Make Cheese: Handling dangerous creature
He quickly notices that this imaginary critter is nowhere in sight, and gets back to making cheese. As far as I can tell, the "dangerous creature" they are referring to is the donkey they just finished milking, but why they would think they're still handling it after they're done milking it as well as why they would consider a tame animal to be dangerous completely eludes me...
Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened, I thought they had tried to milk something stupid like a giant bat. I was sorely disappointed :(
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01]Stupid Cheesemaker
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »

comfirmed, also , not a bug but you can't do auto repeat if you've only the one female animal to milk, she needs time to produce the milk before the next milking.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:54 am »

you can't do auto repeat if you've only the one female animal to milk, she needs time to produce the milk before the next milking.
I know that, but I'm literally drowning in cows and jennies and mares so it wasn't a problem. I only needed food for a month or so, no point wasting any animals :)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:07:06 am »

Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened, I thought they had tried to milk something stupid like a giant bat. I was sorely disappointed :(

Someone has to draw that...

I would but i suck at drawing.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:10 am »

Might it be part of the milking job code to return the animal when it's done? After all, having a cow wandering around can't be any good.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:56:49 am »

Hi!

I am quite positive that this is caused by the milking job. I have it with hauling and other jobs as well, as I not always have milking and cheese making activated (the new milk is already tasked to be put into the food stockpiles, so the cheese making job would fail if there was no in the stockpile).

And I am also quite positive that the dangerous animal is the creature that has been milked (probably a cow, horse, or some other such). The thing is, these creatures are strong enough to injure a person, and thus, they are collectively referred to as dangerous animal.

So, the bug seems to be that after finishing the milking job, the relationship between the milker and milkee is not correctly cut off, causing the milker to be seemingly busy guiding the creature around.

However, other than the faulty message, there seems to be no further negative consequences (the creature leaves the location without problems, the milk is also ready, and the dwarf will get back to work right away).

Deathworks

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:40:53 am »

I had that bug show up.  When I first got it, as I rushed to find the dwarf in question, my first thought was, "Armok help us, they've been trying to milk the bull!"