Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing moral malus from a friend loss.  (Read 756 times)

Kandryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing moral malus from a friend loss.
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:05:04 pm »

I used to have fun seeing a whole fortress going in an infinite chain of miserable/stark raving mad/berzerk dwarves but now i find this quite boring and time wasting.
A single military dwarf dying during an ambush (after killing 4 gobelins, which is quite heroic) just got my fortress taken to oblivion because of a miserable chain among his friends. I could have done a "death corridor" full of traps to take care of those gobelins without losing any dwarf but...hey, what's the point of having an army then...

So that's it, I'm looking for a mod or just an advice on how to remove that moral malus from the game.

Thanks in advance.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Removing moral malus from a friend loss.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »

I don't know how about modding it out....but some things that increase friendship between dwarves, therefore increasing tantrum chain sizes, that you can avoid to reduce how connected your fortress is.

1 - No meeting halls. Without meeting halls dwarves spend their off hours alone. They don't hold parties and they don't socialize. If they don't socialize they don't make friends. If they don't make friends, no tantrum spirals.

2 - Avoid large work parties or squads. Miners and soldiers become friends faster because they tend to spend a lot of time in each other's company. While it slows down mining and training a lot, only doing one or two dwarves at a time will cut back on how socially connected to each other these work groups become.

3 - Gated communities. The burrows (when they're working right) make it possible to isolate your dwarves from each other. Divide your fortress into multiple burrows with their own food and supply stocks and restrict movement. Dwarves that can't meet can't become friends.

4 - Rotate everyone out as a hunter at some point. Hunting is the least social job of all of them. If you see a group of people starting to become too connected....send them out for a little solitude and reflection time in the wilds.

As an aside....I rarely if ever get tantrum chains. Unless the overall balance of happiness vs. unhappiness changed in 2010...you have to be doing multiple things wrong to get people unhappy enough to tantrum spiral. Or bad things have to be happening back to back to back. Perhaps you're just not focusing on happiness generators (i.e. high quality rooms and high quality furniture to admire, pets) enough to stave off tantrum spirals?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:24:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:24:15 pm »

surely it would be better to keep everyone happy than hamper friendships, no?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »

It does sound like an interesting experiment though, seeing how disconnected and isolated you can make a fortress, and to what pop level you can sustain that.

It's like the East/West German of the DF world.

And yes, socializing is actually one thing that can help prevent tantrum spirals...because friends are sources of happiness. But that's obviously not helping enough if the nature of their relationships causes them to tantrum anyways when bad stuff happens.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »

Code: [Select]
This effects how easily they get mad or sad...
[PERSONALITY:ANGER:0:25:60]
[PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:40:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION:0:25:60]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:25:60]
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY:0:25:60]
[PERSONALITY:SELF_EFFICACY:40:40:90]

These effect how likely Dwarves are to befriend each other... (I think)
[PERSONALITY:GREGARIOUSNESS:0:10:60]
[PERSONALITY:TRUST:0:10:60]
[PERSONALITY:FRIENDLINESS:0:25:60]
[PERSONALITY:SELF_CONSCIOUSNESS:0:30:60]

This is what I had back in 40d to lower tantrum spiral effects.  It can be further modified for more tantrum mitigation.

If you want them to be friends, but to mitigate tantrums, you can use this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: There are some that are new and I'm not sure of how it would work...

Code: [Select]
[PERSONALITY:EMOTIONALITY:0:50:100]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]       +
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:WILLPOWER:1250:1500:1750:2000:2500:3000:5000]            +++

Willpower... might be good to have. 
The emotionality... supposedly has something to do with understanding one's own emotion...  at least thats what the magmawiki says...  might be a good thing?

The social_awareness, helps with making friends?
Empathy and Sympathy might fall under social_awareness too...

EDIT 2: Memory might determine how long a Dwarf remembers both good and bad things?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:56:07 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kandryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:51 pm »

In which file do you find this?
There's the dwarf description in Raw/Object/creature_standard.txt but i can't find those lines or anything related to dwarf behavior.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:18 pm »

In which file do you find this?
There's the dwarf description in Raw/Object/creature_standard.txt but i can't find those lines or anything related to dwarf behavior.

You have to edit them in yourself, but, if you want, I can figure a way to upload the raw file with those changes.

Its best that you put them in after you gen the world, it has the potential of heavily unbalancing worldgen, causing Dwarven dominance... and possibly the destruction of both Elven and Goblin-kind.

It gets more complicated if you have other sorts of mods too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:02 pm »

[NOTHOUGHT] makes dwarves eternally content IIRC.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »

[NOTHOUGHT] makes dwarves eternally content IIRC.

Yeah, I've been currently using this. However, it also makes anything of quality you do meaningless, and may cause nobles to issue more mandates (at least in 40d).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod