Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spears are good  (Read 1962 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Spears are good
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:11 pm »

So I set out as an elf in a forest retreat and managed to rack up quite an impressive massacre(~20 kills including queen and druid) using my starting maple spear. I only stopped the carnage because i got bored. The spear can render almost anyone harmless 1v1, as long as you keep attacking and crippling them.

Killing someone this way takes an embarrassingly long time. Although your first few hit will make a target unable to move for several turns, so what I did was I crippled every elf I encountered and set a bush on fire next to them. If there were no other dangers I would poke at them from outside the range of the wildfire.

Other weapons look pretty pathetic in comparison. At least as long as they are made of wood. If anyone wants to mod elves to have a fighting chance they should make all their warriors carry spears or bows. Maple swords just don't cut it.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spears are good
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:14:38 pm »

In my experience swords cripple people just as fast but are actually capable of killing them without the need to wait half an hour.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »

I like axes. Off with their lower bodies!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:29:11 pm »

I've discovered the spear to be awesome against wolf packs. Step backwards, poke a wolf. Step backwards, poke. Every poke shatters a bone. Nothing keeps attacking if you've shattered a bone. Once the pack is broken up, it's just a matter of poking the ones that are running away a little faster. Take ages to actually finish one of the things, but really quick to have won.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »

In my experience, shattering bones has very little stopping power.  The best technique I've found is bisection or decapitation with axes and swords.

Mnijykmirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:24 pm »

I think it might be important to start differentiating in our minds hurting something to the point enough that it will eventually die on it's own, and just outright killing something.  I've found with some of the weapons that if you just incapacitate somebody and leave them to bleed out, it's just as effective as just chopping them into bits with a sword or an axe.  It just takes longer for the death part to actually happen.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:37:39 pm »

I break them with a spear and then choke them to death while they're incapable of doing anything. It goes MUCH faster than actually poking a creature to death with a damned spear.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:49 pm »

I think it might be important to start differentiating in our minds hurting something to the point enough that it will eventually die on it's own, and just outright killing something.  I've found with some of the weapons that if you just incapacitate somebody and leave them to bleed out, it's just as effective as just chopping them into bits with a sword or an axe.  It just takes longer for the death part to actually happen.

I've been waiting to find that perfect enemy to completely blind and cripple.  Typically it's a high priest on top of a temple or some local champion that will actually keep fighting after a few broken bones.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:05:32 pm »

Personally, I'm loving swords in DF2010.  My only real problem with them is that stabbing tends to be a wasted attack.  NOT ALWAYS, however...

I was fighting a dragon (Fresh out of worldgen, no less, this was the first fight).  The first thing that happens is it fires up, I manage to manually move in between the flames and stab it.  Shattered a bone, and it passes out.  After that, I just wail on it a while.  Eventually I get bored (Stabs are so worthless right now for killing, it's such a shame.  It seems they can't do anything but break bones and bruise bodyparts anymore), and started choking it.  And choking.  And choking.  By the end of the "fight", I was Legendary Wrestler and Legendary Fighter somehow (I think the experience system might be screwy, since I had no Wrestling and only a couple levels of Fighter), and a fairly high level of Swordsman.

The problem here is, well, spears do nothing but stab and slam.  If they were modded to also be able to periodically slice, they might have better results.  I personally think the coding on stabbing's off, might be because critical boost seems to be gone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:07:43 pm by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:30 am »

I was fighting a dragon (Fresh out of worldgen, no less, this was the first fight)... By the end of the "fight", I was Legendary Wrestler and Legendary Fighter somehow (I think the experience system might be screwy, since I had no Wrestling and only a couple levels of Fighter), and a fairly high level of Swordsman.

You strangled a dragon to death with your bare hands and you think you shouldn't be legendary? I mean, even if strangling a dragon to death won't teach you as much as strangling a dozen wolves, THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT YOU IN THE MEAD HALL AS A WARRIOR-PRINCE OF GREAT RENOWN. That's my idea of legendary.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:49:13 am »

Actually, slashes are less effective than stabs on armored targets. Try going against someone in a chainmail. Your slashes will be ineffective on all armored parts, but stabs will put some force through.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 05:03:29 am »

YOURS IS THE SPEAR THAT WILL PIERCE THE CHAINMAIL!

/lol
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:16:02 am »

Speaking of which. I'm gonna mod in dwarven drills as mining weapons.

An unrelated note - what would happen if Ironblood piloted Gurren Lagann?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:57 am »

Speaking of which. I'm gonna mod in dwarven drills as mining weapons.

An unrelated note - what would happen if Ironblood piloted Gurren Lagann?

Chuck Norris.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:38:41 am »

Oookay, what if Chuck Norris piloted Gurren Lagann?

I'm guessing he'd cause Spiral Nemesis by simply starting it up.

Pages: [1] 2