Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your top requests  (Read 859 times)

Lurve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your top requests
« on: September 09, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »

As of this posting, there are 351 requests on the dev page, the vast majority of which are unresolved.  They seem to be listed in the order they were suggested, leading to a jumbled mess which could be greatly improved by sorting the requests to reflect which are most needed.  My aim here is to do that, by forming a priority queue of our most desired requests and the order we desire them in.

The rules:

• List the requests you want from other posts and up to two requests of your own from the dev page in the order that you desire them in.  
  • Explain why you're adding your own requests.
  • If you want to change your list or incorporate later requests, edit your post instead of making a new one.

I'll begin.

My list:

• Req112
  • Req1

Additions:

quote:
Req112, ITEM AGGREGATES: Need fake item stacks that combine items that aren't identical. There are a number of associated difficulties. Identical items should also be combined into actual stacks. These currently exist but are never reformed once they are broken [a]part.

Reason: This is more of a bug than a feature request.  Marksdwarves and hunters consider themselves equipped with a single iron bolt for ammo, because that bolt is a complete stack.  This renders these two professions frustratingly unreliable, marksdwarves more so as they're the only military unit who can predictably train.  That alone should be reason enough, but the problem crops up in many other areas.  For example, once the economy starts coin bundles tend to split into hundreds of untradable stacks.

quote:
Req1, PILE MASTERY AND TYPES: Ability to have specific item types in a pile, ability to move a specific number of items from pile to another, etc.

Reason: Seeds and raw food and meals and booze are all stored in the same pile.  Coffins and mechanisms and bags and doors are all stored in the same pile.  Limestone and obsidian and every gray rock are all stored in the same pile.  Adamantine and sphalerite and hematite and platinum nuggets are all stored in the same pile.  The number one cause of fortress inefficiency is the need to have everything close to the same massive stockpiles.  

Specific stockpiles would let us have a pig tail farm plot next to a 'tail and 'tail seed stockpile with a farmer's workshop on the other side, all far from our food farming.  Or a limestone pile next to our smelters.  Or a light (minus limestone) and dark stone pile next to our craft shops.  Or a furniture pile  next to our housing.  The possibilities are mouthwateringly endless.  Screw the burrows, I want this.

[Edit] UBB doesn't support color?  Ugh.
[Edit] Forgot to mention: I would be more than happy to add these myself.  May I see the source code?      ;)

[ September 09, 2006: Message edited by: Lurve ]