Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favorite Elements of .31?  (Read 8882 times)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Elements of .31?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »

The underground features.

The underground is actually dangerous again! Yay! I haven't had to worry about invasions from below since 2d dwarf fortress, and it's nice to have a bit of excitement again - even if the excitement is sometimes an unkillable mutant that massacres everything in sight.

LOL invasions from below.

the freedom from being able to search for magma vents, you just can't help doing it, i ended up planning my games around them and failing most of the time. But now i have no idea if they are there.

I know what you mean. Now I can just gen 1-2 worlds to find ideal conditions for my fort, instead of 200. Also, it's liberating.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 05:42:15 pm »

1-Descriptions and traits.

Probably one of my favorites. The descriptions don't add to game play, but really help you connect to important dwarves....and all the new traits dwarves have are really tantalizing. Can't wait to hear how some of the these traits actually work.

2-The underground. As people have said, it's amazing and offers a whole new level of game play that DF barely had before. Exploring the UG is more fun than just opening to the door to HFS and either dying or winning.

3-The combat and materials system. It's incredible. When there aren't any bugs, reading the combat reports is such a kick.

4-The Forgotten Beasts. Some of the ones I've read about are just hilarious/mindbending/terrifying. That it's all done procedurally is just genius. Blizzard can make whatever awesome randomly generated creature that looks pretty for Diablo....but they can't hold a candle to the procedurally generated monstrosities of DF.

5-The new flora and fauna. The stuff in the UG, the stuff that grows in specific biomes (like the good/evil trees) again just added that additional level of detail to bring things to life.

6-I would put the military here if it were working properly. When it is working properly, it too will be one of my favorite features from this version. When it's working, it streamlines so much obnoxious stuff about the military...and lets you customize them in the ways you've always wanted to.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:44:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 06:15:52 pm »

The bugs right now bug the hell out of me and I am less then content with way combat has gotten silly but overlooking that I am looking forward to a balanced version of material properties I also like healthcare because it gives me more things to put into my fortress and I like the feeling of having a massive sprawling complex
Thank you based dwarf.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:39 pm »

I like the new military.
Once the little bugs are out of it it will be O for Awesome.

Matthew117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:28 pm »

My favorite thing is finding sites with tons of good features easily. I used to spend hours looking in the last version.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:53 am »

I finally breached the underground.

It's...  It's so beautiful...

*wipes away a tear*

But so hard to navigate.  I need to make a map of this mess, and then colonize it.  I was a little worried about that Gorlak, but it seems to just...  stand there.  Behind that wall.  Now I'm just kinda skeeved.

There's pitchblende, too...  Yummy.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:54 pm »

You can specify how many embark points you get in custom world creation, and you can CHOOSE the sex of the animals you embark with. WIN!

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »

Scars. The best part of the new way bodies/combat works and the best part of the new descriptions. They are so badass that you actually want to get hurt in combat.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »

Let's see:

- the Report screen.  Not only is it just fun to read how badly that stone trap mangled a raccoon--not only is it a secondary way to see how well a fight is going--but it's also a way to tell when something is going horribly wrong.

i.e. somehow two deer had gotten loose from the kitchens and had started harassing people in the dining room.  All I saw to start was some 'Urist McDwarf cancels action: deer' messages so I check the report and see that he was being assaulted by said deer.  I use Zoom from within Reports and see that it's in the dining room.

Which leads to the second wonderful feature: Kill Target

I had my military dwarves training at the time, but a quick S-A-K (A because I had two squads) and 6 dwarves were there in a flash beating that deer up.  Of course, they all had training weapons so ..well.. I think 'torture' is a better term after seeing the reports: Early on someone lodged a pick in the deer then, later, someone else twisted the thing in it's throat.  Even with that with holes from top to bottom, the thing still took almost a month to die. 

Karma is a #(%)( though.  When my first ambush happened, the same dwarves were told to Kill the whole pack of them.  Only one survived, pretty much due to falling down a ramp and out of sight until the goblins went away then getting treated at the hospital.

-Burrows

I have a floor WAY DOWN in my fort to abuse the magma and thanks to burrows, I can lock my metal workers in there with their own dining room and bedrooms.  Even when there's a MASS of hauling jobs, I don't have to worry about them leaving to do it.  I only wish I knew about it earlier so I could design my fort around that.

Being able to order all of my civilians into the well stocked dining room to hide and all of them doing it INSTANTLY was also refreshing.

wooden Training weapons.  Simply having easy access to wooden weapons (my wood economy is up LONG before my metal) means not having only wrestlers.

The underground, if only because I feel that I can embark without worrying that the trip will be boring.

Oddly enough, some of the 'complaints' I also consider good as well.  The 'work till you're hungry' mentality for one, partially because it gives a good reason to have more than just ONE of each type of worker and partially because it IS an increase to the challenge that you can solve with proper management.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 03:29:52 pm »

"An animal has become a war Giant Tiger."

Stormy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:16 pm »

Just broke through to the underground areas.

I think I may have dislocated my jaw.
The 'Poor Spelling' Bolt hits Sentence in the head!
It explodes in gore!
Sentence has been struck down.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 01:42:50 am »

I haven't even touched Dorf Mode yet cause I know I'll lose whatever vestiges of a life I have, so:

Arena mode
puppywhirrrrrrl

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 02:15:55 am »

The new engraving has to be up there.
I laughed for 5 minutes when I saw that my engraver carved an image of the expedition leader's being bludgeoned to death in the mayor's dining room.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:06 pm »

From the biggest frustration thread:

Can't stockpile the two dozen barrels of carp blood I've been ordering from the humans.

I'll leave it up to your superior deductive skills to figure out what I like about this.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 04:23:52 pm »

Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?

out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Sigged.
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.
Pages: 1 2 [3]