Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favorite Elements of .31?  (Read 8883 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Elements of .31?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:40:11 pm »

For me, it's the fact that the game doesn't pause every time you strike Alunite.

It gets better. If you go into announcements.txt you can also turn off pausing for wet or warm tile when you are excavating around water/magma.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »

Gotta love how the names of minerals aren't capitalized when they appear in announcements :)  Gotta love the little things.

The caverns are widespread and dangerous, I'm sealing them off as I go but I plan to explore them later with a squad of legendaries.

Beran Senae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »

I like trying to survive entirely in a cavern. It's fun when Giant Toads show up, too!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »

The new underground of course, but also the ability to trade for glass and sand.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »

"You have found a great magma sea."

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 08:31:18 pm »

I think for me it's the fact that there's plenty of everything at every embark. It means that I can embark in a large variety of surface conditions without having to worry about whether there will be magma, ore, and other things available.

The caverns are also amazing. In 40d I enjoyed being able to carve out the entire fort exactly to my own specifications, and so at first I was a bit saddened that I wouldn't be able to do my standard "staircase to the bottom z-level, build out from the central shaft" procedure as easily. But in the end, it just means that I just don't dig as deep before establishing my fort proper, and then, after things are settled a bit, I can dig further down for more riches, magma, water, and other excitement. I love the feeling of "untapped recources" that the caverns present to my playstyle, but I also like that I also have the option to play a more organic "lets build a fort IN the cavern" fort.

Also, as mentioned, the increased control over the military is a godsend (once I figure it all out ???), and I like that the healthcare system has been overhauled to make injuries both more and less dangerous/random. I'm sure that there are other nuances like these that I haven't even begun to explore fully, but for now, I'm just enjoying that the game has more to offer, and more to learn. As much as I love the nearly bug-free 40d, I was certainly growing tired of how easy certain parts of it were getting.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Stormy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:54:12 pm »

*makes new map*

*checks how deep it goes...*

182 z-levels OHMYGAWD
The 'Poor Spelling' Bolt hits Sentence in the head!
It explodes in gore!
Sentence has been struck down.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 11:10:59 pm »

I have a lot I like, in some ways it feels Brand New again, I'm fumbling with commands all over again beyond the basics, and have to learn how to manage the military all over again.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 12:04:47 am »

Almost 200 levels of mineral-filled-cavern-holed-creature-infested underground goodness. I love it, love it, love it.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 12:05:06 am »

I've got a new one:  The new military screen.

It is kind of clunky at the moment, but it just needs a bit of clarification thrown in; filters for the skills of dwarves and such, so that I can throw that immigrant cheese maker who is an adept axe user into the military quickly, since I have only one cow.  But the part that's the most awesome?

Uniforms.  Not just the uniforms, but the check marks next to each element of the uniform which the dwarf already has.

I can actually figure this military out without a notebook :D
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 04:22:03 pm »

Uniforms are the biggie for me, because I don't have to mass forbid to upgrade armor.

The "zoom to announcement" feature is very nice, and makes up for the little bit lost when striking materials
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 04:29:14 pm »

That and all that random things that grow/live underground. I really hope the bugs get fixed soon so I can play again!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »

I love seeing caged creatures in the units menu... and elves.
Spoiler: ♥_♥ (click to show/hide)
That's all on one warthog. :o

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »

The underground features.

The underground is actually dangerous again! Yay! I haven't had to worry about invasions from below since 2d dwarf fortress, and it's nice to have a bit of excitement again - even if the excitement is sometimes an unkillable mutant that massacres everything in sight.

LOL invasions from below.

the freedom from being able to search for magma vents, you just can't help doing it, i ended up planning my games around them and failing most of the time. But now i have no idea if they are there.

I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3