Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is DF officially changing its title?  (Read 2380 times)

Block_Stacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is DF officially changing its title?
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:06:03 pm »

The DF main page is now just titled "Dwarf Fortress" instead of "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress".  I like this because I always felt a little weird about checking a page about slaves and blood in the library.

The question is, is this an official name shortening?  If so, I think its a change for the better.  DF is so much more than the sequel to an unfinished game.  The old title is good for history's sake, but it might be confusing to new players.  And as we all know, new players are the life-blood of DF.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is DF officially changing its title?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:26:22 pm »

I've always viewed the full name as somewhat of a joke. I doubt anyone has ever seriously called it by the full name except for perhaps a few confused newbies.
If the new name is permanent, it'll be for the best, really.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:30:04 pm »

Well technically Dwarf Fortress is the subtitle, but I see Slaves to Armok as more of that than anything
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »

Well technically Dwarf Fortress is the subtitle, but I see Slaves to Armok as more of that than anything

Exactly, pretty much everyone refers to game as Dwarf Fortress and StA:GoBC2 was taken as a (rather confusing) subtitle.

So, site title just caught up with reality (yay!).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »

Consider that in the future of the game, you won't just be playing Dwarves.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:01:38 pm »

Not when you could be playing as a CAT! WOO!

Have fun seeing how long you can avoid the butchers! Adopt random dwarves who hate cats! Hunt vermin for extra points and really cash in from the fire snakes at the magma forge!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:02 pm »

Like capntastic said, you won't be playing just dwarves in the future. Controlling humans, elves, gobbos and even kobolds, a wizard and even certain megabeasts (the dev list mentions possibly controlling a dragon) are future features planned for post DF 1.0 . So yea, DF is just how the community and the public at large call it, but in the future the game won't be revolve so much around dwarves.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:39:45 pm »

Like capntastic said, you won't be playing just dwarves in the future. Controlling humans, elves, gobbos and even kobolds, a wizard and even certain megabeasts (the dev list mentions possibly controlling a dragon) are future features planned for post DF 1.0 . So yea, DF is just how the community and the public at large call it, but in the future the game won't be revolve so much around dwarves.

In 20 years when we reach that issue, we can deal with it then  :P

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »

Scroll to the top of the screen.  What do those red letters say?  That's right.  :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 11:44:12 pm »

I've always viewed the full name as somewhat of a joke. I doubt anyone has ever seriously called it by the full name except for perhaps a few confused newbies.

HEY
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 11:59:23 pm »

In 20 years when we reach that issue, we can deal with it then  :P

You can play other races now ya just need to mess with the raws and I don't think the game in its current state allows this to be a different experience.

Dwarfs dig, Im not sure what humans would do, maybe regulate trade, IDK its up to toady to make this stuff up 
Thank you based dwarf.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 12:05:56 am »

HEY

Any title containing a sub-sub-title cannot be entirely serious.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 01:21:32 am »

I only see one subtitle. The game is "Slaves to Armok:God of Blood II" which is in Alpha, but the alpha is often confused with being a full game. a "few confused newbies." tend to not realize that :P

Dwarf Fortress is a game mode, Just like Adventure and Legends which are the only modes that are complete enough to test. other mentioned future modes are Wizards Tower and and Nations mode.

its just fun to see peoples jaws drop at the size and depth of DF and forget that Toady has pretty epic Ideas with where the game will go.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 01:29:34 am »

I'm still fine with "Slaves to Armok: God of Blood: Part II: Dwarf Fortress: Histories of x and y," myself.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:18:29 am »

Slaves to Armok:
-Series Title
God of Blood
-Series Subtitle
Part II
-obvious
The Dwarf Fortress
-Game Title
Histories of Whatever and Nonsense
-Game Subtitle

The title of the game has always been Dwarf Fortress.
Everything else is other titles and subtitles and various etcetera.
Pages: [1] 2