Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: preserve cursor position when switching modes  (Read 810 times)

keturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://keturn.net/
preserve cursor position when switching modes
« on: September 08, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »

there are a heck of a lot of "look at things" modes.  You use 'q' to see what's queued in a workshop, 't' to see what's in a workshop, unless it's a stockpile when you have to use 'k', unless it's a dwarf carrying something to the stockpile, then you use 'v'.

It takes two keystrokes to switch between modes, because you have to escape back to the top-level mode first, but that's probably not so bad.  What I find more annoying is that when you enter the next mode, your cursor is back in the middle of the screen, not twelve spaces to the left and seven up like it was when you were looking at the workshop.

Can that cursor position be preserved?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: preserve cursor position when switching modes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »

That'd get annoying, IMO. If you -didn't- want to go back where you were, you'd have to move the screen to bring it back to the middle, or go maybe twice as far. You'd forget, and it'd break up the flow of things. As it is, you know where it's going to be every time, so you don't have to look for it.

Is it really that hard as it is now? Remember that the mouse interface will very likely be improved at the very least to the point where you can do the same thing with that.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

keturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://keturn.net/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

Yeah, it's more annoying to me to have the cursor move when you didn't ask it to.  I rather have a 'reset to center of viewport' key than that.  And I suppose it would reset if you scrolled the viewport in one of the cursorless modes.

Mouse selection could work well for lookin-at-stuff, but that's no reason to not have good keyboard system.  Particularly if both the mouse and the keyboard are required and the keyboard layout is not one-handed.  i.e. if I'm in 'v' mode and I need to switch to 'k' and my right hand is on the mouse, this is inconvient.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:34:00 pm »

I was about to make the same suggestion. To expand on the idea, and address Eagleon's objection, it should only do this, if you haven't scrolled the screen at all in between.
Akur Akir Akam!

joquarky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:15:31 am »

This is my first post to this forum :D

I just learned about DF a couple weeks ago and I started playing about a week ago after investing a few days reading and watching tutorials (thank you Captian Duck!) and I finally made an account here in the hope that I can beg for some kind of solution to this.  This is easily my #1 annoyance.  A "center on cursor" key would be a very welcome quick fix.

In the long run, I think that a good compromise might be to have an init configurable option to allow us to scroll the viewport instead of moving the cursor, so that the cursor is always centered while we navigate around.

I <3 this game and am already losing sleep.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:11:27 am »

Welcome, and A++ on your use of the search.

Yeah... There are a number of interface fixes that would solve this (hellah annoying) problem