Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 48235 times)

Ketsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2010, 01:55:09 am »

Bugs everywhere. A new one today : when i tried to switch levels DF crashed.
The game is fun, the interface is almost unbearable.
Add bugs and the desire to play quickly fades.

I also feel this game has gone way past the level of "roguelikes" and would greatly benefit from a modern interface.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:56:51 am by Ketsa »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2010, 02:32:12 am »

I also feel this game has gone way past the level of "roguelikes" and would greatly benefit from a modern interface.
The biggest boost to graphics with the least amount of coding would be to fix it so that minimum screen resoultion can be 1x1. Once that's in place, the players can create large and beautiful tiles with maybe 48x48 icon sizes. Can pack a lot of art into a space that size.

My whine is the ppoor documentation on how the military squad - alert - schedule system works, along with a couple *DOH!* type moments that I am comfortable blaming the interface for. Some comments on the wiki lead me to believe that several squads -- and even individuals within a single squad -- can be given separate orders within a given alert. Like station Abe at North guardpost, George at South guardpost and have Herb the Archer defend the region. That's the kind of order I'de like to copy/paste.

Have you ever tried to make a squad and suddenly your squad leader is replaced by the incoming dwarf? It's a bug I tell ya. Interface Refinement.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:40:24 am by AngleWyrm »

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2010, 03:14:21 am »

definately the military.  I'd much prefer 40d with simply allowing squads assigned to certain barracks so legendary sparrers won't kill newbies.  As it is in .31, they simply won't do anything other than organize combat drills and sit around staring blankly waiting for it to never start.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2010, 05:36:57 am »

Dwarven Alzheimer's.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2010, 05:40:01 am »

The new way in which the military is handeled.

Not that I hate it, it's just that after about an hour of mucking about in the military screen, looking at DFwiki and variouse threads on the forums I ended up more confused then I started off as.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2010, 03:03:07 am »

Having figured out most of how the new military works, I think the new system will be far superior to the old one in most circumstances (the only circumstance where it won't is the one where a random woodcutter out in the forest encounters a goblin snatcher, and you just want to order him to go nuts with his axe. Still possible to do but it requires extra rigamarole).

The problem I have with the military is not how it's _supposed_ to work, but the fact that it _doesn't_ work right now. All it needs is a good solid bug-stomping session IMO.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2010, 10:21:53 am »

the stat gain bug, or rather the lack of stat gain bug.

Combined with the fact stat rust actually does work, and everyone (except the military) ends up utterly useless after a decade or so. I'm still running at ~100 FPS, but it seems MUCH MUCH slower because my dwarves are moving and probably half speed or less because they are all lazy, weak, corpulent, and feeble-minded.

The military works OK (just let them do individual combat drills) and while surgery/traction are bugged the rest works (usually) and any dwarf with red wounds last version was usually perma-bedridden so it's no real change there. I certainly want those fixed but stat-gain has got to come first IMO.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2010, 10:55:54 am »

The endless blood bug.  Had to save-scum from a poison-blooded forgotten beast. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2010, 09:32:05 am »

the stat gain bug, or rather the lack of stat gain bug.

Combined with the fact stat rust actually does work, and everyone (except the military) ends up utterly useless after a decade or so. I'm still running at ~100 FPS, but it seems MUCH MUCH slower because my dwarves are moving and probably half speed or less because they are all lazy, weak, corpulent, and feeble-minded.

The military works OK (just let them do individual combat drills) and while surgery/traction are bugged the rest works (usually) and any dwarf with red wounds last version was usually perma-bedridden so it's no real change there. I certainly want those fixed but stat-gain has got to come first IMO.

True: the stat gain bug kind of depresses me too. What I did in my own game is add the cheat from the wiki to eliminate stat gain, which looks like this:

[MENT_ATT_RATES:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:200:NONE:NONE:NONE]

Other than that, the noble screen blanking on expedition leaders saddens me, because it means that long-lived fortresses are doomed, either to lack of nobles or plenitude of mayors. I just murdered my expedition leader, and am testing to see how long it takes before another is appointed (or if one gets appointed at all.)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2010, 10:18:15 am »

Military and losing the nobles screen once my expedition leader dies. Makes a fort very vulnerable to kobold attack.

Reload the game and you'll get your noble screen back.
"Extinction is not an option."

Archimand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2010, 10:52:38 am »

Hi, been here lurking for a looong time, but it wasn't until this version that i actually felt compelled to post anything.

Despite all the little annoyances, there is a single thing that makes me want to throw my computer out of the window is that no matter of many dozens of picks and axes i forge, my dwarves never equip them when i activate digging or woodcutting labor.

That and that once my dwarves are in a squad, even if I disband it, destroy the barracks and set them to inactive, they never return to civilian life, instead doing individual drills until the end of time -or when the next poisonous blood forgotten beast apears-.

Because really, there is one thing that beats a tantrum spiral, and that is a tantrum spiral of rotting dwarves. Fun stuff.

Archimand out.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2010, 12:56:03 pm »

If they are considered bugs and not new features, the channeling and mud-farming is annoying for me.

Despite all the little annoyances, there is a single thing that makes me want to throw my computer out of the window is that no matter of many dozens of picks and axes i forge, my dwarves never equip them when i activate digging or woodcutting labor.

Are you using DwarfTherapist to enable those labors?  If so it's currently bugged so that they will not pick up the tools they need when you activate those labors.  Try turning off the labors in DT and then enabling them in game.  That's a problem with DT ATM.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:14 pm »

I switched back to 40d after discovering that archery targets don't work at all.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2010, 07:17:19 pm »

Military and losing the nobles screen once my expedition leader dies. Makes a fort very vulnerable to kobold attack.

Reload the game and you'll get your noble screen back.
No, you won't. It won't come back until a mayor is elected.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »

For some reason, the Linux port seems strangely absent.  ಠ_ಠ

I've intentionally not played DF since DF2010 came out so that I have some sort of well refined idea of what my first fortress in DF2010 should be.  One and a half months without DF is hard, can't wait for the port! /goes back to intently refreshing the dev log every 5 minutes/
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21