Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47301 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »

Pump stacks still work. I just tried it.

Thank god. I was terrified when I read that they didn't for the first time. Pump stacks have about doubled in importance with how the new version's features work.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2010, 01:47:31 am »

This is a more general case of the new behavior, which is basically "dwarves act like programmers".  When they're "in the zone" doing something, they tend to put off self-maintainence until they reach a stopping point, and then catch up on bodily needs before starting another task.  This leads to fewer interrupted tasks in the long run, and makes sense in-universe (dwarves are frequently depicted as being a bit monomaniacal), but does mean that they're a little less responsive to sudden "orders from beyond" rearranging their lives. 

Once a fort has a regular military, with multiple squads in rotation, this shouldn't be a problem; finding the best way to handle it at the very beginning is still a bit of a question. 

It just bugs me that they choose to work instead of eat and then get bad thoughts for being starving.  I like the feature overall, it seems much more dwarfy. 

Male and female critters are normally listed as such on the embark screen; if you just selected 5 of the first dog entry without reading, you'll get all males.  Given that you can now explicitly start off with exactly the mix of male and female dogs, horses, etc. that you want, complaints on this seem a bit odd. 

Yea I was mostly frustrated with my own not paying attention, its a good feature. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2010, 02:30:56 am »

It makes livestock keeping easier! I can have increased birth rates without having to wait several years!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2010, 02:44:30 am »

I got it. The biggest frustration is not being able to order dwarfs to follow veins. It's so time-consuming and annoying to designate a few more tiles to be dug out every minute. Even more so now that the stuff is all over the place.

Given the way your dwarves would gleefully dig clear through to an underground cavern and spider's den, I don't mind designating myself. Usually I just dig a narrow little 'I guess the vein runs this way' shaft and then dig it out  properly with most of the tiles already revealed. That's more realistic hard rock mining anyway; hanging wall and foot wall.

My biggest frustration is crashes. Everything else I can dwarf it the hell up.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »

Can't stockpile the two dozen barrels of carp blood I've been ordering from the humans.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:48 pm »

The problem I have with the "finishing jobs before eatting/drinking" is that my dwarves have a tendency to view "move stuff into stockpiles" as a single, continuous job.  I've had dwarves hauling stuff inside while complaining that they're thirsty and hauling a barrel of beer.  When the finish, they run up to the surface to start hauling the next item. Drink your freaking booze!!!  >:(

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »

The overworked negative thoughts are pretty easy to counterbalance for the most part: epic dining room, modest bedroom, and some statue gardens near main avenues can provide more than enough happy thoughts to keep your dwarves from dismay. Do have to be better about disposing of the dead, though. Unless your entire fort is sheer mind bending bling then "forced to endure the decay of a loved one" can put your whole populace on edge as tantrums start to flare up. A crypt of any size or value takes care of this, like as simple as dropping coffins flagged for general use in corners or wherever. This can actually do more good than just prevention as I've heard that it'll not only prevent the decay unhappy thought but also trigger a "honored the dead" happy thought, though that's largely hearsay as I've never personally seen that happy thought, but I've never gone looking either.

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »

FPS drops to 6 after about 5 minutes with a new fort. Nothing seems to be able to raise it higher.

edit: corrected typo
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »

vermin not going away.

1.5 years into my first .31 game this is all i have to report. No fights, no sieges, no beasts, no bronze colossi, smoothly running at 76fps/gfps.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »

ATOM smashing!!

Can we atom smash the bronze collussus?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:03 pm »

The frequent crashes when I accidentally do stupid things like make zones on top of each other, or try to make my military wear a hat that's not in a stockpile.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2010, 06:42:54 pm »

The fact that I'm currently 50 miles away from my desktop and my laptop can't hack running it.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »

channeling a single tiles leaves a dwarf with the ability to go down but not up, and if there's something to dig down there, they'll go down and leave themselves trapped. And then rather than being patient and wait to be rescued, to try to dig somewhere else, to find they can't walk through solid rock. So they give up, and the dig order is canceled.

ugh

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

The fact that needing to irrigate before planting is considered a bug annoys me.  2D was great for that very reason.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2010, 09:08:51 pm »

channeling a single tiles leaves a dwarf with the ability to go down but not up, and if there's something to dig down there, they'll go down and leave themselves trapped. And then rather than being patient and wait to be rescued, to try to dig somewhere else, to find they can't walk through solid rock. So they give up, and the dig order is canceled.

ugh

hey, I was about to mention that.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21