Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47305 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »

So far the most frustrating thing was when my only soldier decided to go take a nap right when I need a Troglodyte killed.

Next most is the slowness - I do hope the d# merge come soon.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

You still can't choose what to make shit out of. Craftsdwarfs just grab the closest material. Maybe you can use burrows to set up a workshop + stockpile combo, but even then, it's too tedious and micro-manage-y compared to if you could just, you know, specify the damn material in the workshop order.

I agree completely with you, I hate when you want to use that gold to make noble furniture and some random mechanic uses it to make a mechanism.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »

You still can't choose what to make shit out of. Craftsdwarfs just grab the closest material. Maybe you can use burrows to set up a workshop + stockpile combo, but even then, it's too tedious and micro-manage-y compared to if you could just, you know, specify the damn material in the workshop order.
I do agree this is annoying; also wish that the same selection was available for studding/decorating items. Still, you gotta admit that being able to designate burrows does make it easier.... you can give the mason a burrow that only includes stone of interest, and remove him from the burrow when he's made what you want. Easier than locking and unlocking doors was.

It's still a pain in the arse though.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 04:28:21 pm »

Definitely pathfinding! Doing major excavations seems to always get my dwarves stuck until it starts to rain or something.

The military screen was confusing at first, but got it more or less figured out, and now I like it much better than the old method. The new, tougher monsters are a VERY WELCOME change - raw recruits can't gleefully lop off the heads of the game's toughest challenges anymore. So much more dwarfy to have to build crush, magma, water, etc traps until your military becomes truly uber.

But . . . the pathfinding is killing me.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

multi-frustration post
i had a kobolt cut off my lye making fishers left hand with a dagger

he ran around for few !PALE! days, but it come back to normal

now i wanted to make a magmagarbage disposal (remains are really annoying)
desingating was a pain.. if not for bad channel placement or a newly discovered cave(fffff), or a tile that had a TC on it that just would not cave in, it was the bad stair placement leading to urist mcworker canceling his job due to giant toad/naked mole/ cave croco

i had to save scum a little (had noworking military), but on the thrid try i once again place some shitty stairs.
Croco time! He attacked my mason and cook, and bite off their left hands (and only them)

fu.king handymen

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:29 pm »

Actually, bronze colossi eliminating everything now feels right.

Very true. but they should atleast die without needing magma dumped on them. other than that and the aformentioned military bugs ive not gotten any pathfinding issues and my FPS isnt that bad either.

I'd say that they need to be near invincible, and skeletal creatures should be near invincible as well, but you should be able to remove their limbs easily, and their torsos shouldn't be able to move or attack. Beheading should kill them though.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:51 pm »

My greatest frustration right now is the fact my marksdwarf refuses to go get himself some bolts even though I've got bins of them lying around.

I hope this problem'll be gone as soon as I get my arsenal dwarf.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 04:37:20 pm »

I do agree this is annoying; also wish that the same selection was available for studding/decorating items. Still, you gotta admit that being able to designate burrows does make it easier.... you can give the mason a burrow that only includes stone of interest, and remove him from the burrow when he's made what you want. Easier than locking and unlocking doors was.

It's still a pain in the arse though.

I always found stone fairly easy to work around using the economic stone settings. The primary downside of this method is that every workshop that uses stone will follow those settings, so either you'll have to only run one industry at a time when you want something specific or add some gold mechanisms to your exports (They're actually pretty damn effective exports).

My problem with control has always been with decorating specific items. Mass dumping both the items needing the decorations and the decorations themselves becomes tiresome quickly.

Main issue with the current version would probably be the amount of tweaking that the current combat system requires. It's most apparent with non-living creatures (Bronze Colossi and undead), but there have been times when I've seen living creatures remain alive despite having enough injuries to kill them several times over.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »

all the crashes. after several at world gen i finally get a fort going, play for a couple hours, go 'oh, i'd better save'

saving

saving

saving

IT CRASHED ON THE DAMN SAVING SCREEN

fort gone.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 04:45:52 pm »

I've seen living creatures remain alive despite having enough injuries to kill them several times over.
It took one of my farmers months to die while gushing blood from his heart and missing several body parts. I think he finally dehydrated.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:14 pm »

I think the military stuff is pretty sweet overall, but the inability to get them to stop training is pretty bad, and I also had a swordsdwarf who was ordered to use wooden training swords and decided to hang on to his copper axe. I lost two trainees to bad chest wounds and infection before my armorer got done with their plate.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 04:48:53 pm »

My biggest frustration: When designating up/down staircases to sink a shaft deep down (Too Deep), I have to designate every layer individually; I can't just start a rectangle on one layer and zip down five or twenty-five layers and designate all tiles in between as staircases.

Yes, I know that's exceedingly dangerous. That's the whole point--I mined down to the Hidden Fun Stuff, after all. But it was over a hundred and fifty layers deep!!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

Let's see.. I view the interface and pathfinding bugs as minor, normal development stuff that will get fixed... and perhaps more importantly, must be fixed before we can judge them with understanding of what they're supposed to accomplish.

On to my early fortress mode impressions:

1) no nicknaming or other way to distinguish tame animals
I'm a pretty serious rancher in my forts and i'd like a way to tell the livestock apart

2) had hoped for a way to have workshops use a particular ore (or better, draw from a specific stockpile) through the workshop profile screen

3) screw pumped liquids subject to water pressure (i.e., can pump fluids UP a shaft for X z-levels/pump  (where X > 1) instead of relying on pump towers)
leading to easier-to-create and hence larger/more complex contraptions

I'll hold off on the new stuff until it's ready for prime time, and I presently have very little hands-on with .31.01 adventurer mode and world gen.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:01:27 pm by freeze »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 05:26:28 pm »

My biggest issue with the new version is the path finding.. or the lack there of time to time...

Having dwarfs doing nothing at all is very aggravating, especially if you need them to do something for their survival.

The vermin deal is okay by me, I can deal with that one.

But that trying to build floors/walls and the dwarfs just standing around... really grinds my gears.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »

Pathfinding D:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21