Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47303 times)

KitsuneStudios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #285 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:59 pm »

Learning curve:
-Irrigation for farms. Took a bit to get used to, but easy enough now. I have a pretty decent plumbing system running by autumn in most of my forts now, featuring a system of pumps, perpetual motion waterwheels, millstones, and self-flushing noble quarters. :D
-Ramped channnels. Led to some fun when my miners starved to death in the bottom of a cistern. They ramped themselves into the bottom level, then starved before they got around to digging the stairs to get out again.

Annoying, but tolerable:
-Bedding issues. For some reason, the sleeping preferences are Someone else's room>an unassigned bedroom>the floor>an assigned Dormitory >their own bedrooms.  It led to a rather unfortunate incident of two dwarven children claiming bedrooms, then finding Urist McKiddiefiddler sleeping in their room. I have enough to deal with with goblin pedophiles, without my local population getting all inappropriate.
-Trying to figure out how to replicate the "All dwarves stay inside" command. Despite plenty of booze, three active wells connected to a nice clean cistern, my legendary weaver and her baby decided to go out for a stroll during a goblin siege. Yeah.
-Extreme shortages of shells.

Infuriating:
-Useless crossbowdwarves.
-Hit-or-miss military and Hospital setups. I've managed to get them both working, but not consistently. In my current best fort, I had a couple squads of steel-clad axedwarves train themselves up nicely with individual training practices, resulting in no fatalities amongst my military; a welcome change from 40d where training accidents made up the vast majority of fort casualties. In that same game, one of the soldiers had a broken head, and was back on duty that same season! Score one for the hospital system. Worst case: my entire military trained itself into a state of melancholy, while the hospital stole all my cloth and thread stocks while ignoring all my imported splints and crutches.

I haven't yet run into the loss of administration positions or the unkillable enemies, but those sound like they would be at the top of my "ouch, fix please" bugs.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:31 pm »

I haven't yet run into the loss of administration positions or the unkillable enemies, but those sound like they would be at the top of my "ouch, fix please" bugs.

90% sure those have both been fixed.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 05, 2010, 04:22:30 pm »

This is starting to sound like a broken record, but definitely the training bugs.
One peasant came in with no skills but novice crutch-walker and novice conversationalist, but incredible physical stats. So I immediately assign him to the military, but he has never stepped into the training barracks, and after the most recent siege is unhappy, with "complained about the draft recently," on his thoughts screen.

Axeforgebeard: I've only made two 0.31 forts, but both got along fine with setting my dwarves to use the default leather uniform, then switching it to the default metal uniform.
Admittedly, the interface for making that switch is pretty painful. And it'd be nice if they'd more often go for the *steel breastplate*s, minty fresh from the forge, instead of the <copper mail>, shucked off a dead goblin.

I also really really can't wait for the improved, more realistic irrigation system. I apparently washed away a bunch of the mud in my farm room while irrigating it the first time, and those ugly patch work farms taking up only half of my farm rooms really grind my gears.
It'd also be nice to be able to plant surface plants in mud. Having to find a place to dig an area near the surface of my half-rocky mountainous region, just to get a little more variety, is pretty annoying.

Some of my dwarves are unhappy after spending the night in a poor room, or being disturbed by noise. None of their quarters are poor, and the living arrangements are far away from the main work areas. They're all stone, and typically have a + or * coffer, cabinet, door, and bed. But for some reason, they all love to stop off and take a nap right in the half-soil hospital, dug out near the surface,  with siege engines above and workshops below.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 05, 2010, 05:02:43 pm »

Admittedly, the interface for making that switch is pretty painful. And it'd be nice if they'd more often go for the *steel breastplate*s, minty fresh from the forge, instead of the <copper mail>, shucked off a dead goblin.
Pretty sure that's been fixed now, I bought some bronze pieces from a merchant but I 'think' they are all stockpiled now my migrant grandmaster armourer has started cranking out steel armour and the arsenal dwarf has assigned it all correctly.  I did then notice there are no other civilisations other than dwarves so there's not that much of a need for it.....I've just left my central stairwell that descends through the earth open to all the caverns to keep my military busy.  Needed to expand my meat processing to take care of the crundle and elkbird hordes though :(

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »

The massive rusting of attributes causing all my dwarfs to be slow moving amorphous blobs.

Also, the slow linearish decline of FPS that seems all but impossible to stop.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2010, 11:58:10 pm »

-Trying to figure out how to replicate the "All dwarves stay inside" command. Despite plenty of booze, three active wells connected to a nice clean cistern, my legendary weaver and her baby decided to go out for a stroll during a goblin siege. Yeah.

You assign civilians to a burrow in the military screen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 06, 2010, 12:06:14 am »

Make a burrow.  Name it "HIDE YOU MORONS", if you like.  Place it in the least-dangerous area you can think of.  Assign every dwarf you don't want d-e-d to it.  Make sure nobody is assigned to other burrows.  Go through every single every other burrow out there and make sure no hapless civilian has permission to be anywhere but the bunker.  Go into the military screen and set up the civilian alert/restriction thingy.  For kicks, just in case, deactivate any meeting areas in the danger zone and make a new area in the hidey-hole.  Revel in the pages of job-cancellation spam as your valuable workers soft squishy civilians suicidal lemmings starting thinking about outside tasks and cancel them before going two steps.

It's tedious, but I've had great success with it.  :]
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:16 am »

Make a burrow.  Name it "HIDE YOU MORONS", if you like.  Place it in the least-dangerous area you can think of.  Assign every dwarf you don't want d-e-d to it.  Make sure nobody is assigned to other burrows.  Go through every single every other burrow out there and make sure no hapless civilian has permission to be anywhere but the bunker.  Go into the military screen and set up the civilian alert/restriction thingy.  For kicks, just in case, deactivate any meeting areas in the danger zone and make a new area in the hidey-hole.  Revel in the pages of job-cancellation spam as your valuable workers soft squishy civilians suicidal lemmings starting thinking about outside tasks and cancel them before going two steps.

It's tedious, but I've had great success with it.  :]

Assigning civilians to a burrow through the alert screen is the only step that needs to be taken. The alert OVERRIDES ALL OTHER BURROW SETTINGS. You do not need to manually adjust burrow settings AT ALL.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2010, 03:37:14 am »

Enemies that take so damn long to kill.

When I dug down to harness some magma, a 'Hungry Head,' whatever the hell they are, got into the lower levels of my fort. I sent six dwarves after it (and since I didn't have any forges at the time they were unarmed.) They spent about a season kicking the damn thing around like a grotesquue soccer ball. Eventually it decided "Fuck this shit" and wandered back out the way it came in.

Once I got some iron swords made they were about a million times more effective, but still... It shoud be at least POSSIBLE for dwarves to kill something without weapons.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2010, 01:05:11 am »

Military.

It's a horrible thing to say for me, but it just doesn't work.

There's a nice concept for organisation behind it all, but it's not working at all. You can't even properly designate migrants to the military as there's no way to do it without going to the squad menu.
Care to write down all names? NO!
Rather go to squads every 1-2 dwarves to allocate them from memory? NO!

Training doesn't work as expected either, starting with the buggy equipment - will i ever be sure they use the wooden weapons for training all the time and the other ones for fighting? If i tell them to use axes and make training axes, why do they still not use the damned things after a year, even including an arsenal dwarf? When 8 dwarves are minimum active/training, why the ductape do i only see 2 damned souls in the assigned barracks and only 2 active dwarves at the squad menu at all?!

And inexplicable, confusing dwarf activating and deactivating (speaking in df_28_181_40d19 terms), replacement of the obviously working sparring function with pretty but non-functioning combat demonstrations.
Leading up to unreadable unit lists that don't give any squad information anymore.
To kill orders that make your dwarves into rabid idiots that jump into ponds to kill things and get themselves killed.

After years of df_28_181_40 and earlier i can't feel any confidence in the new military. They dont even TRAIN as expected, making them nothing-military after a time span that would've made them double-legendary by sparring. Wrestling is horrible, making squad equipment weird and critical at the same time.
It's so bad, i've not dared to break into caverns at all. It just doesn't make sense to me while i feel that i do not have absolute strict command of the military. Leading to cave traps, leading to boredom -> Snow cancels play 31_0x: playing df_28_181_40.

At this time, i think 31_01-08 would be much better off using df_28_181_40d19 military in conjunction with the new medical system, caverns, combat mechanics  and skill rusting.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:47 am »

All of those military issues are bugs.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 07, 2010, 01:19:55 am »

All of those military issues are bugs.
Yes, they're bugs.
That's the point.
It's bugged from 31_01 to 31_08 and probably going to be bugged for 2-3 more months.

We have an overhaul of the military system that produced not a new military but first (31_01) consistent crashes and now after 7 versions produces inconsistent military training when they're told to stand down (showing up as civilians ingame, to make things more confusing) or none at all when set to training.
The whole schedule thing is nice, but it's somewhere between slippery and nonfunctional. And beside that, everything can be done by the old military. They wouldn't even become melancholy or starve themselves to death prior to melancholy if not deactivated from time to time.

That these things are bugs doesn't change a thing.
They're broken and unplayable and a big damn frustration (check topic) when you consider the effort and time that was put into making these bugs (respectively New Military System).

I'd much rather have broken hauling for a hauling overhaul to allow stacking, restacking and multi-hauling instead of broken military. It's ok to have hauling jobs work every fifth try; if military doesn't work the first time a squad tries, it spells death.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:26:16 am by Lord Snow »

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:46 am »

As fun as 31 is, the millitary kinda made me stop playing altogether...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2010, 06:24:50 am »

Military, and complicated raws.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ahp77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2010, 06:41:44 am »

Training doesn't work as expected either, starting with the buggy equipment - will i ever be sure they use the wooden weapons for training all the time and the other ones for fighting? If i tell them to use axes and make training axes, why do they still not use the damned things after a year, even including an arsenal dwarf?

It shouldn't matter. Weapons can't be dulled yet. (IRL, training weapons were generally not used for safety until more recently. The whole wooden weapons thing was about keeping your metal one sharp for battle.)

I've also found that military works fine for me. Usually I fall because I SUCK at managing food/beer production. I would go so far as to say that at the beginning, wooden weapons are fine for all of your killing needs.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21