Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47297 times)

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2010, 11:47:53 pm »

Crossbows are borked. The first dose of Fun I ever had was when I struggled to get a crossbow equipped military up, and a goblin ambush tore me a new one.

Uniforms appear to be bugged. Rather than wearing the iron armor that my uniform specifies, my soldiers appear to be using a mix of bronze, copper and iron than just the ready-made iron equipment my smiths are churning out for them. At least they are using armor and weapons at all.

There is no easy way to distinguish between gender when caging or restraining animals. This means that I cannot have all my males caged and my females chained - the process of trial and error is simply too much for me. As a result, breeding is nearly out of control and my latest fort seems like it's heading towards abandonment due to FPS issues.

I have dug down almost 90 Z-levels in my current fort and breached all 3 caverns. I have not found magma yet. I don't even want to think about how much time it will take to pump all this magma up to the surface for use in fortress defense.

Still, it's a wonderful game. I've never really played anything that's had me this hooked.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:05:21 am by Shogger »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

Biggest frustration:

FPS.

That is all.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2010, 12:57:46 am »

[magma stuff]
You known on the left side of the screen, the little bar that has how far below ground you are? At the bottom is (about) how far above the magma sea you are.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:00 am »

Still not knowing how to play Fortress mode and living off Adventure mode

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »

[magma stuff]
You known on the left side of the screen, the little bar that has how far below ground you are? At the bottom is (about) how far above the magma sea you are.

I'm aaaaalmost there then. Still, I've never even made a pump stack before, and to get this magma to the surface will take a 90 Z-level pump stack, something I just don't want to do.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2010, 02:50:46 pm »

The number seems pretty arbitrary, actually.  I've had magma seas start and end well before the number reached 0.  Heck, my current game won't even let me view below 60something, which I can only assume to be the bottom of that fun place.

I'm aaaaalmost there then. Still, I've never even made a pump stack before, and to get this magma to the surface will take a 90 Z-level pump stack, something I just don't want to do.

Pumps are fps killers, and pump stacks exponentially more so.  My game drops from 30ish to about 5 fps whenever magma moves through my stack of 28 pumps.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2010, 07:53:43 pm »

Why not move at least the workshops to the magma?  Even if you still insisted that your little dudes climb 90 up-down staircases to eat and sleep, that's still OK, as long as you give them a booze stockpile near the forges.  Of course, if you gave them a burrow down there with all the amenities, that'd be splendid.

I honestly like the fact that magma is (or can be) far away from the entrance again.  It's not nearly as far as it was in the old 2D version on virtually any map (including yours), so their's really no pressing need to pump it anywhere much.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2010, 08:06:15 pm »

This so much.  It seems natural that being able to choose a specific material should be available in the workshop profile. I want to construct a massive fortress out of kaolinite blocks, but my masons seem to think mudstone is far more tittilating.
Try 'z' menu (the one with food stocks and fortress wealth) -> Stone -> disable all stones except kaolinite.  If that doesn't work, lock the masons into a big ol' room dug out of kaolinite and keep an eye on them.

And the follow the vein thing would just be snazzy as hell.
Try DFHack (Df Wiki -> utilities -> DFHack)

... the other thing is the buggy military.  There's enough workarounds to get them training effectively but it's all the potential awesomeness they have that doesn't work - it's such a tease.  When I see my militia commander organize a striking or dodging demonstration, and 80% of the dwarves actually show up, and then it really works I just get so ecstatic. Next to dwarfy architecture, the military is my favorite aspect of DF and it has so much potential. I cant wait for toady to sort it out
Yeah, I kinda-sorta understand what the military interfaces do, but 1)getting dwarves to train effectively is something I haven't figured out, and 2) military stuff seems over-engineered.  Sure, I can do great things, but I mostly want to do simple stuff, which involves a LOT more keypressing than it did before.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2010, 10:00:24 am »

My biggest frustration in 31.08 are immigrants. You know, I start on a rather inhospitable pocket island, dwarven civilization is alive.

First immigration wave: 7 new little buggers.
Second immigration wave: 7 more new little buggers (or more.)

That is with a population cap of 1 set in the init.

This meant that I was looking at a total of 21 dwarves, putting me at risk for dwarven moods after the first half of a year. Of course, the new little buggers had these fancy professions, so that I'd have basically had to set up all the little workshops for all of them.

The problem was that I was still busy setting up a farming plot at that point, and that I actually had wanted to start from the very bottom of the world this time. Not to set up an entire fortress in the upper levels.

So, I abandoned and started a new one.

First immigration wave: 7 new little buggers
Second wave: 7 new little buggers.

Another abandonment later, my next fortress ran into:

First immigration wave: 7 new little buggers
Second wave: 7 new little buggers <- those were walled out and are now lying around in coffins. Screw them.

I find this massively annoying. In 40d, I got immigration waves of 2 or 4 dwarves in the first year, and that was fine. I just don't want the hassle of a population > 20 in total when I haven't even barely settled in. Grr.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 04, 2010, 10:41:17 am »

Mines it goblin seiges and the new militery system, another annoying thing is that glitch where stuck in bolts and arrows NEVER stop bleeding so if yuor adventurer or dorf gets a arrow stuck in his tow or something hes done for, even if the arrow is removed.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2010, 11:39:16 am »

at this point, my biggest frustration is getting the soldiers to train. because they just wont.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2010, 12:33:46 pm »

I just don't want the hassle of a population > 20 in total when I haven't even barely settled in. Grr.
I agree, come to think of it... I often get 10ish migrants, then 20ish, then 40ish, all before my first caravan. Now I've got 25 idlers and no working farm, joy. ><

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »

Invicible forgotten beasts and HFS.

You know the ones. Combat logs of 100 pages of 'Urist McWarrior slashes into uberinvincible monste with a steel battle axe, breaking away a little more of the tissue'.

Broken marksdwarves

Highly unreliable hospitals.

Active/training not actually triggering training whilst 'inactive' DOES.

Axeforgebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2010, 05:58:57 pm »

The fucking impenetrably confusing, ass-backwards, over complicated, entirely unnecessary new equipment screen.

I'm all for increasing the precision with which you can control your army, and I do like the new squad command screen, being able to issue kill orders across multiple squads with multiple targets is cool beans. But the way you set up the military is insane. Having to create specific uniforms should not be a mandatory part of setting up an army. Frankly, the old military screen was perfectly adequate. Also, it had the advantage of actually working. Being able to assign specific items could have been added as a sub-menu to the old military screen. The only thing it can really do that the old one couldn't is scheduling. And alerts I guess?
     The old military equipment/drafting screen could have been(Should have been) retained, and the new equipment screen could just be added if you really want to customize the equipment of a specific dwarf or make colored uniforms. If you care about something like that, I guess?

Also, I'd complain about archery just not fucking working, at all, but according to the devlog he's fixing that.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2010, 03:58:50 pm »

Axeforgebeard, I understand what you mean, but really in my opinion the new military screen is like having Dwarf Fortress within Dwarf Fortress, it looks absolutely impenetrable, but when you finally wrestle it to the ground and get the hang of it, it comes as naturally as breathing. Personally I'm at a level of understanding where I know what to do, but the various training and equipment glitches prevent me from knowing if I've done it right since it doesn't work anyway.

Which brings me on to my biggest frustations with 0.31, the equipment and training glitches. I don't care about the archers because I've never ever used archers before, just never really considered them. But the training not working is immensely annoying, and I've tried umpteen workaround and none of them seem to work, same goes for the equipment glitches. That said, 90% of the stuff that goes wrong in my fortresses is down to me being an idiot, so that's redundant.

My biggest frustration, however, is the goddamn healthcare glitches with gypsum powder. I tend to get a lot of injured dwarves for one reason or another and most have broken bones, but none of them ever get set. I have had so many hospitals full of bedridden dwarves just because the doctors are too pants on head retarded to go find some plaster.

[/rant]
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21