Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47335 times)

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »

Well now he's only got to fix one game at once. Any bug fixed in 40d will be a bug fixed for Win, Mac and Linux at the same time. It's all the same code. The first release of 0.31 was Windows only. The 40d version had compatibility for Mac, Linux and Windows. It also had other features like better menus, the ability to scroll zoom, resizing the window on the fly, and faster performance.

Once the merger is done, everyone will have all those improved features and the bugs only have to be fixed once and then added into the Mac and Linux code (which is simple to do when the code is merged).
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2010, 12:55:28 pm »

ohhh I seeeee that makes everything even clearer! :D Thanks guys!

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:09 am »

The mayor thing mostly. I haven't built a jail, so each time some former mayor demands I build 3 raw platinum items without telling me, I inevitably will lose one of my metalsmiths. Just a moment ago the captain of the guard practically cut my legendary armorsmith in half.. argh.

That, and I may just be doing it wrong, but I can't get my marksdwarves to pick up any ammo let alone do anything with it if they did. Hrm.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:13:48 am by bloodtoes »
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »

This may just be me, but I have a fort that won't die. Oh, the population has been slaughtered, and in a fashion that I'm sure future dwarven engravers will want to immortalize, but the game keeps crashing between the death of the last dwarf and the "You lose" message.

A minor thing, all told, but frustrating all the same. I'm looking forward to reclaiming that fort...  8)
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2010, 05:45:47 pm »

I cannot cancel dwarf mode embark. Many a time I have found a world with an entire species wiped out. No goblins, less Fun. Even more often there is some bug. Or maybe there's something with world gen parameters I'd like to change anyway.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »

No [GRAPHICS:ON] mode...

And the fact I cant get all four major species to ever survive 100 years on a pocket region. Elves almost always die out. If they don't, they take over everything and the humans all disappear.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:40:49 pm by Rex_Nex »

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »

Surprizingly, the way the millitia is no longer dedicated.

I've grown so used to the old military style that I would often cast peasants and soap makers into the military, knowing they would train intensively while off-duty and would grow to become competent soldiers.  I often drafted dwarves when I realized I had so many that most of them would sit idle for the little job there was available for them.

Now I'm dealing with all dwarves being available all the time, save for when on battle alert.  Several times, I second-guessed the way I setup my first squad as they did not run off to train as soon as I drafted them.  Actually, after two seasons, I had a single recruit and everyone else was a regular ol' dwarf.  I have no way, to my knowledge, to tell the military dorfs "hole up in your barracks, either you train or you do nothing."

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2010, 07:47:10 pm »

Which is exactly what my dwarves do. Removed all their scheduled orders, and they do nothing BUT train. Not very good, though...

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2010, 08:36:26 pm »

31.04 runs reeealy slowly and there's no Mayday version yet. The ASCII makes my eyes bleed a little bit. I was really hoping for the OpenGL to make my game run faster, after seeing a bunch of people get their fps tripled, it was a bit of a downer to have my fps go down.

Also, lack of VisualFortress. I loved that app
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2010, 04:47:02 am »

If the OpenGL version runs slowly, you probably don't have proper hw acceleration support and the driver is falling back to software rendering.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Altruin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2010, 12:07:13 am »

I believe that, although imperfect, Fortress mode will be ironed out over time. I would like to see some improvements in Adventure mode, however, such as the ability to perform fortress mode tasks, like mining or gem cutting, and the ability to customize your appearances, etc.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2010, 12:21:26 am »

I believe that, although imperfect, Fortress mode will be ironed out over time. I would like to see some improvements in Adventure mode, however, such as the ability to perform fortress mode tasks, like mining or gem cutting, and the ability to customize your appearances, etc.

Last I heard, those features are pretty high on the list to be added so you shouldn't have to wait too long.  Some of the nastier bugs in fortress mode need to be taken care of first and I think there's a couple of other things Toady was wanting to work on.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »

I can't figure out the military.
My hunter won't hunt.
I can't figure out how to create mud for underground farms.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »

My mouse has stopped working in 0.31. designating all those rooms manually is tedious.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »

You still can't choose what to make shit out of. Craftsdwarfs just grab the closest material. Maybe you can use burrows to set up a workshop + stockpile combo, but even then, it's too tedious and micro-manage-y compared to if you could just, you know, specify the damn material in the workshop order.

I got it. The biggest frustration is not being able to order dwarfs to follow veins. It's so time-consuming and annoying to designate a few more tiles to be dug out every minute. Even more so now that the stuff is all over the place.
This so much.  It seems natural that being able to choose a specific material should be available in the workshop profile. I want to construct a massive fortress out of kaolinite blocks, but my masons seem to think mudstone is far more tittilating.

And the follow the vein thing would just be snazzy as hell.

Past that, it's just two things.  First off having to switch all my hunter labors on and off every time they run out of ammunition is a pain in the ass - although I remember a fort where a hunter grabbed literally 5 quivers all stocked full of silver bolts and I just let him go wild with it - the other thing is the buggy military.  There's enough workarounds to get them training effectively but it's all the potential awesomeness they have that doesn't work - it's such a tease.  When I see my militia commander organize a striking or dodging demonstration, and 80% of the dwarves actually show up, and then it really works I just get so ecstatic. Next to dwarfy architecture, the military is my favorite aspect of DF and it has so much potential. I cant wait for toady to sort it out
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21